This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Injections in NY

I heard that MA's in New York are not allowed to do injections. However, I've been looking all over on-line trying to find any regulations stating that is so. I can find the nursing board recommendations (which is that MA's do not do "nursing" functions such as injections), but I cannot find a law. However, I have found a couple of NY job postings for MA which list "perform injections as ordered by the Center Medical Director or as certified." So, can they or can't they? I can only assume that the nursing board recommendations must apply. I've heard that they (Nursing/AAMA) are lobbying hard for MA's to be licensed. I'm not discounting the good reasons for licensing, however this is definitely an example of why MA's should not be licensed/governed by any NURSING BOARD...we would not get to do anything outside of what a nursing assistant is allowed to do.

Re: Injections in NY

The nursing board covers nursing.

MAs derive their authority from the Doctors they work for, not the nursing board.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: workin on it

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Re: Injections in NY

I know that the Board of Nursing regulates nursing. However, some states may have regulations based off of board recommendations. Plus, it is not necessarily true that MA's get their authorization soley from the physician they work for. Some states have regulations governing what a medical assistant can and cannot do- regardless of what a physician "orders" you to do. For example: In WA state, MA's must have a valid Healthcare Assistant license (which indicates appropriate level of training) in order to administer injections, perform venipuncture, dialysis, etc. Other than for venipuncture, the individual must have the necessary formal training documented. Yes, this pretty much eliminates "grandfathered" medical assistants from doing the other forementioned skills. Whether the physician "authorizes" you to do these or not, if you do not have a valid HCA license, it's unethical and against the law to perform. It's becoming harder for MA's to claim the "I work under the physician's license" arguement. States are holding MA's accountable for knowing the regulations of their profession. Anyhow, you may or may not have known that already...

So, I'm trying to find out if NY has regulations (which may be based off of nursing board recommendations) which prohibit medical assistants to do injections?