This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dialysis is within the scope of practice for MA's

In the state of FL MA's doing dialysis is within the scope of practice. Are MA's allowed to give meds and do tx's as long as another licensed personnel is around. From looking up the information on the net the answer is yes. I need proof so that I can be compensated for the work I do. Can anyone help me?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? yes for my RN

Are You Working? yes

Re: Dialysis is within the scope of practice for MA's

ma's can work in dialysis as a 'tech' not as a 'nurse'. Most likely you will not be able to give medications in a dialysis setting because the medications are giving through the 'lines' directly into the patients veins and this is out of the scope of practice for ma's.

you can do xrays in Florida, but you have to take a test to get a 'basic xray operator license' from the department of radiology. if your school did not offer xray training which you have to have in order to take the xray exam, then you can contact a local technical school regarding classes. basic xray classes are normally around 3 months long.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: lpn

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Thanks Lorraine for taking the time to post. I had no idea how to respond, and in reading your feedback, important considerations (that I would not even have thought of) was pointed out for further research. I think, as a minimum, you have helped TEE to look into the right direction.

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Site Admin

Patients who are in routine dialysis use fistulas as well, which in itself is another technique that needs to be mastered.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LPN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

I worked in a dialysis center for 6 months, it wasn't for me! Yes, a MA working in dialysis is called a Dialysis Tech ( FYI: you can become a Certified Dialysis Technicain). The Tech brings the Patient back, gets the current weight, takes vitals, calculates how much fluid needs to be removed, accesses either the Pt's fistual (via VERY large dialysis needles) or Cath. During the Tx the tech records the readings, monitors the Pt, run a NSS IV, and d/c the tx. A tech can give Tylenol PO and also flush the Dialysis lines/Cath with 0.9% NSS. AS a Teach in MAryland we also can flush the Cath. with Heparin. We also were cleaned the dialysis machines as well. This was just a brief explanation as there are other tasks as well but I really can't think of them all right now

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA, DT, CNA

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes