This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
critical question re: previous felony

I will be starting school in the MA program on july 16th, will be obtaining my AAS in MA from a small accredited college, and in doing some research today re: the CMA testing, read that normally someone with a previous felony is not able to take the exam, however apparently you can petition and depending on the circumstances of the situation, you may be able to then take the test. In 1987 (yes, 20 years ago), I was convicted of a felony in Minnesota due to writing bad checks. This was the only felony I have had. I guess my question is, has anyone with a previous felony been denied/allowed to take the test to become a CMA...I would appreciate very much any input on this...either negitive or positive. I currently still reside in Minnesota, though hope to relocate and work in the next five years or so to either Texas or Arizona. Thanks very much.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: none yet

Are You Still In School? begin july 16, 2007

Are You Working? no

Re: critical question re: previous felony

I can't answer your specific question.

Have you or can you apply for an expungement?

My program uses bunches of practices in the area for externships, they do not like surprises on the background check at one of the bigger places that takes quite a few of our students. Indicating to me that they want to know in advance.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: workin on it

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Re: critical question re: previous felony

I can say from previous experience that you can still take the test with a felony. You used to not be able to hold a nursing license with a felony but due to the need for nurses, they lifted that ban three years ago and now there are no bans on previous felons unless they are of severe nature,(murder, rape, etc). Your charge will not stop you from taking the exam.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes