This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MA or Phlebotomist?

I finished school and my externship last month, I'm being offered the choice between either an MA position or a phlebotomist position (which will include 4 weeks of in-hospital training). This is with Saint Mary's Hospital, one of the larger in the area.

I'm on the fence over which to choose.

Which would you choose, and why?

Thanks in advance,

Michelle

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? Graduated

Are You Working? Not yet

Re: MA or Phlebotomist?

I'm sorry but I am going to be blunt here-4 weeks of hospital training is NOT enough. True phlebotomists go through MONTHS of education,which includes a LOT of clinical science. I don't know why hospitals keep doing this, and turning down those that are trained and certified in the field and art of phlebotomy already. The few states that actually have mandatory certification do not allow this anymore,it can't be enough hours.

Take the MA job. In some regions it is VERY hard to get one.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA/PT

Well I disagree.

(politely of course!![:))

I think it would be much more of a learning experience and more interesting in a hospital drawing blood. I do both as a MA and like blood draws more. You will become more confident with experience either way

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Well, if you choose the phlebotomy job that is all you will be doing- drawing blood. I'm sure you'll become great at it and very proficient!

The MA position will more than likely include vitals, med administration, assisting with procedures, front office stuff, as well as possibly venipuncture. Being fresh out of school, I'd want the job that will give me the most variety and experience. JMHO.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LPN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Can anyone tell me how much training you get in phlebotomy during the medical assisiting course?

Thanks

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA I & II

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Depends on the program but I daresay most of them are lacking. It seems to be regarded as just one more clinical aspect to being an MA and the training lasts about as long as all the other things that are taught. Big mistake.
In my class I was stunned to see how nothing was mentioned about nerve damage,among other things.