This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I don't know if I should take this step...

I've read a lot of posts about M.A.'s not being able to find a job, especially out of school. I was hired from the same practice where I did my internship. It is a nice practice, small (one doctor), pretty laid back. My starting pay was 9/hr. Now I'm up to 13/hr. I've learned so much and have covered for our office manager when she was out on maternity for three months. My problem is the doctor I work for is talking about moving his practice to the northern part of the state; he's given us the opportunity to go with us; some have agreed; but I have am one that cannot, my husband has a great job, we have our "roots" here. I have interviewed for a government contracting job, where I would work for military medical clinics, my starting salary is 16/hr, based on my five yrs. experience, but during the interview I found out that basically I would just check patients in (vital signs & taking their history), take samples to the lab. No phlebotomy, triage, injections, patient teaching. All of that is left up to the LPN/RN's. The pay/benefits are great; but I have so much experience that I feel I would be wasting that experience, by just doing vital signs. I am thinking about going back to become an RN.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: cma

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

I HAVE A QUESTION

well mandi iam meli and i think that since ur husband has a stable and good job don't mess with it, just start looking for a job around where you are at.hey i have a question do u know anythiong about the rma test ?

Re: I don't know if I should take this step...

I'm unsure about a job that I applied for, if I take it it has limitations on what my role as a medical assistant is. I basically check pts. in (vitals, history, place them in an exam room) The "nurses" do the rest (injections, phlebotomy). Great pay/benefits, just a not so thrilling job description. The only potential for this job is the annual pay raises, no advancements, etc...I could work for this contractor for a year or two; and possibly go to work at a military hospital. It's a tough decision.

Are You Working? yes

Mandi-Are you positive that you would not be allowed to do more at this new job,that they will never permit you to do other tasks?
And do you realize that thousands of employed and unemployed MAs would say "TAKE IT!"?

Meli-What do you want to know about the RMA test?

It sounds like this new job may not fully understand MA's capabilities. You could be the one to educate them!! Show them what you have been trained to do, that you CAN give injections and do all of those things. You could set the precedence for future MA's at that facility. Go for it!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LPN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

I accepted the job this morning, as far as giving injections that is left up to the nurses. I see this as a stepping stone. I'll do my time here and apply at the military hospital this time next year, there the m.a.s, especially in the e.r. can start IV's. Thanks for the replies, I'll let you know how it goes, I start in Sept.

Are You Working? yes