This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
No wonder so many can't find a job

An ad I saw in the paper today, for a local hospital-

RNs-Home Health,Hospice,Med/Surg,Occupational Health

LPNs-full and part-time (must be IV certified)

Health Navigator-RN

Occupational Therapist

Pharmacist

MEDICAL ASSISTANT-must have prior Medical Assisting experience

Skilled Mechanic-Full Time

Why in the world out of all those positions does it state that only MAs have to have experience? What is going on that so many places will not hire you if you do not have "prior medical assistant experience",which is about 100% of any recent graduate? If I had known this was the norm, I would NOT have gone into MA school. It can't be denied that many places have it as some kind of policy that they will NOT hire an inexperienced MA unless they have CNA/STNA work in their background,or a very impressive resume. The rest of us are screwed.

Re: No wonder so many can't find a job

I totally agree. I was looking on a website that has local jobs for my area and one of the employers had job requirements for a nurse, phlebotomist, and medical assistant. Requirements for the nurse and phlebotomy positions were: no prior experience required, new graduates are urged to apply. But for the medical assistant position the requirements were:
graduate of two-year medical assisiting course, with A&P and medical terminology concentration, must have three-year prior experience in physician office setting. Now tell me that is totally wrong! How are we supposed to get that experience if employers don't give us a chance?

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

I graduated in 1975 from MA school and had the same troubles that long ago! That's why I went back to school for RN. I think the reason for the experience needed is the clinicals just aren't long enough in MA school and MA's are limited in their knowledge of theory, at least here in northeast Kansas. There are several schools here that need to be looked into. I've worked clinics where the MA's didn't even know how to use a scale or BP cuff unless it was digital. I wish you the best in your job searches.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA, RN

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Hi Stephanie,

So are you saying that medical assisiting is a dead end career choice? I would really appreciate your imput.

Thanks

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA I & II

Are You Working? no

When I went through MA school 6 years ago some one else asked the same question. The teacher said to still apply. If your application looks good and you get an interview you may get the job if you sound confident and sell yourself well. Talk about the great experience you got in your externship and tell them that you believe you would be a valuable asset to their team.

SeBring-It is a dead end choice if the end result is never finding a job and many, many don't. I think this wariness in hiring a medical assistant comes from something we don't want to admit-there are a lot of bad medical assistants out there. There are too many schools and programs and many of them are lousy. The word gets around to hiring personnel what those schools are and they won't trust a student that went there. All they need to hear is one story of a student doing an externship who didn't know how to PUT ON the blood pressure cuff properly and that will make them leery. Who can blame them? How can anyone go through a medical program for up to 9 months and get away with not knowing how to take a blood pressure reading? But it happens. And the good students from these awful schools get pushed in the background.

This is NOT a field that is going to be gathering more respect as time goes by. There are too many programs popping up and that isn't a good sign. These are the schools that advertise on afternoon TV, during those (let's face it) trashy courtroom programs and they are trying to appeal to someone sitting around watching TV and eating out of a bag of chips (an actual commercial for medical assisting a few years ago).The only thing that is going to grow is this overabundance of MA programs and the large amount of ex-students looking for work who owe on loans.

Wow, Lynn, this is the first time someone was able to actually put her finger on what is happening. The situation you just described is jaw dropping... and having a better idea what might be wrong with the picture is an eye opener.

The way to remedy this situation is that future medical assistants make double sure they get into the right programs. For those who already are in the profession, I'd suggest certification to show the employer they are competent and serious about their career.

The resume of a medical assistant that is certified stands out from the rest. With so many medical assistants seeking jobs, they have do everything they can to get an edge over other applicants who also are looking.

I have always spoken out, and highly receommended that medical assistant students sign up only with schools that are ABHES and CAAHEP accredited, because only graduates of programs that are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) are eligible to take medical assistant certification/registration exams.

One program that's offered online, and ranks high in the Google Search Engine is St. Augustine School of Medical Assistants which is a total waste of money. Their text on the website looks good, and I am sure people are tempted to sign up but I have always warned of them... if you know what I mean.

CHEA has issued the following warning:
http://www.chea.org/pdf/fact_sheet_6_diploma_mills.pdf

Hope this helps.

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Site Admin

I have CNA training and have worked at the local hospital. Do you think this background will help me when I apply for medical assisting jobs? If so, maybe CNA training should be a prerequisite to the medical assisting course.

Thanks

Are You Working? no

Yes,you have a very good chance with your background,and I agree that being a CNA first,as a requirement,would determine just who is really serious about becoming a medical assistant. That is a great idea.

I do not think that being a CNA should be required to get into medical assisting school. They really have nothing to do with that medical assistants do. CNAs mostly do basic patient care such as bedbaths, bed pans, and vital signs. They are not permited to give medition of any kind. I spent the first three months of nursing school learning what CNAs do and have been a CMA for 6 years and their job descriptions and duties are totally different

But don't you think that even if it is just the basic training that it would help? The CNA classes that I took included basic medical terminology, taking vital signs, learning how to weigh, and measure height, measuring urine output, finger sticks, and courtesy and privacy issues, and some background on diseases (each person had to report indepth on a different disease), and much more. Eventhough it doesn't include everything you would need to know for medical assisting, alot of the basics in CNA training are something you would need and use. I feel that these attributes would be a plus.

SeBring

Are You Working? no

But making the commitment to be a CNA first would be a good factor in determining just who really should be permitted to enroll in a medical assistant program. Too many sign up at these lousy schools on an impulse, because they don't want to wait several months to register at a community college (where at least the grants cover the whole program and not 1/3 of it), or because they got talked into it by an admissions officer. Something needs to be done about the massive amount of questionable schools and programs that are snaring a lot of trusting students. Forcing them to be a CNA first is not going to happen of course, but maybe making it clear that CNA-type duties are going to be included in the training might make some think it over good. And what would be wrong with including the teaching of direct patient care? Isn't that the main reason we all get into the field, to take care of people? Not to mention how so many MAs end up having to take a nurse's aide position when they can't find a medical assistant one.
I wish something could by done and maybe licensure is the answer but that is not going to happen either.

Lynn, I totally agree that direct patient contact is one of the most important reasons to have a backgound in CNA training.

SeBring

Are You Working? no

I worked as a CNA and having that 10+ years doing home health and long term care and then 5+ years as a CMA did help. I know in my area (VA) that some hospitals will hire for positions of Nursing care partner, they do both CNA and MA duties (CNA- bed bath, transporting, v/s, etc. MA- injections, phlebotomy, ekgs, start ivs, insert foley catheters) This particular hospital will train you to do the bed baths, the starting pay is 10.50 w/ benefits. Even though the job descriptions of CNA's and MA's they are both seen as dealing with patient care, as someone posted before, so being a CNA going into MA/LPN/ RN does give you a bit of advantage, b/c you know some of the medical lingo. I know it helped me.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: cma

Are You Working? yes

"But don't you think that even if it is just the basic training that it would help? The CNA classes that I took included basic medical terminology, taking vital signs, learning how to weigh, and measure height, measuring urine output, finger sticks, and courtesy and privacy issues, and some background on diseases (each person had to report indepth on a different disease), and much more. Eventhough it doesn't include everything you would need to know for medical assisting, alot of the basics in CNA training are something you would need and use. I feel that these attributes would be a plus.

SeBring"

The things you listed that as CNA does is what you learn in MA school, at least what I learned and what every one else learned. I think that MA schools should be required to be accredited which would require them to teach their students everything they need to know in order to take and pass the certification exam. I did not even have to take a CNA course before I got into nursing school (we learned all that stuff along with nursing duties the first semester). I could see the point that some one made about using it to see if the medical area is right for you; HOWEVER being a CNA is totally different than being a CMA and could scare some one away (working in an office giving shots, taking vitals, drawing blood, making referrals ect is different than lifting patients, changing adult diapers, making beds, giving baths......MOST CNAs where I live work in rest homes and the Med/Surg unit of the hospital)

Great thread. Kudos to all! Keep it going, and keep it interesting.

(***Just wanted you all to know I am reading it!)

Danni

I started this thread after seeing the ad where all those positions were posted but only one specified "experience only". So in other words,you could be a pharmacist right out of school and be hired and trusted to dispense drugs,with no work experience in doing that before,but be a medical assistant without work experience (although what do you call an externship) and they don't want you. Or trust you. What I want to know is-WHY? I have my own theories but would like to hear others.

Reply for Disgusted:

There are a lot of reasons, I guess one would never really know unless, they personally called the place that is hiring and asking them why they want an MA w/ experience. Some reasons could be: financial? Or is the employee going to get trained and then move on to a better opportunity? or do they need someone to fill the position quickly; and don't have the time to train. That's a few I can think of...

Are You Working? yes

Hi Mandi,I have a question. When a medical assistant is hired in a place, are they usually hired to do both the front office and clinical duties, and does the rate of pay change if you do both?

Thanks

SeBring

Are You Working? no

"Hi Mandi,I have a question. When a medical assistant is hired in a place, are they usually hired to do both the front office and clinical duties, and does the rate of pay change if you do both?

Thanks

SeBring"

Although this question was not directed at me I will answer from my experience. The MA program I went through which was at the JC taught us both Clinical and Administrative medical assisting. I only got certified in clinical however because in my area Administrative MAs are really receptonists and filers. I have however worked both positions. I started out just clinical and then I started doing administrative and clinical when I went back to nursing school and my work schedule was more "where they needed me and when it fit with school". I did not get paid any more when I was doing both positions, even when I was doing both positions at the same time on saturday clinic when it was just me and the Doc. NOR did I get paid more when I got my AS degree. I went to lunch with some old friends from work (I am now a full time nursing students) and one of their daughters is now in the MA program and was offered a job upon graduation (at a different office) at a rate higher than what I was getting when I left after four years of service and they are both family practices...so I think it depends on who you work for

Thanks Heartsopenwide. Would you prefer to work front office and clinical or just do one or the other?
Is it overwhelming to do both when you first start out?

Are You Working? no

SeBring,

I didn't get paid more being doing clinical. Some doctors will cross train their MA's to do both. The doctors I have know didn't use MA's in the admin. part, they hired people with experience in that area that weren't MA's. I was trained to do both, our front office girl was a MA. So in case she got sick, one of us could cover for her.

Are You Working? yes

Hi! I have an answer to this dilemna......most states dont require certification or any type of formal education, some states dont even reguire that you have a high school diploma, only that you are 18 years of age. ALL other medical professionals have to go through clinicals which is basically some experience. Some Doctor's offices don't have the time to train an MA, so that is why they want one with experience. Also some Doctor's offices WANT an untrained MA, so they can teach the MA to do it the way they like it done. In my many years of caring for people I have seen this happen repeatedly: an inexperienced, uncertified MA, overstepping their Scope of Practice and breaching the Doctor/Patient relationship, with serious repercussions to both the Patient and the Doctor. I say, skip the 11 months it takes to get your MA, and go for 2 years to get your LPN/LVN.......you WILL GET MORE RESPECT. Good luck to you all :)

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LNHA, MBA

Are You Working? yes

I do not think it was a waste of time, but I graduated in 2003 from Medical Assisting school and they told us that when we graduated from there that we would have job placement. I would have had a job @ a physicians office where I did my internship, but they closed one of their clinics down and had to bring an employee in and I got knocked out of the job. So after that I put in application after application and nothing. When I would go for the interview they said I did not have enough experience. How do u get experience when u just graduated and no one will give u a chance? Anyone have any ideas because I have been looking and no luck. I do not know what I am doing wrong. I even helped 3 people graduate and they got a job and they did not even try. Am I wrong? Feedback please.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? no / graduated

Are You Working? yes, but not in the medical field

you can also be certified thru the AAMA (Atleast thats required here in the PNW) well not required but if you want to be certified- thats who we go thru.

I would also suggest going thru temp agencies and getting experience that way- yes it will drastically suck being on call but atleast you'll get SOME exp. that way and you can list it as job experience on an app.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Working? yes

hey, reading abouut these blogs are really scaring the heck out of me, i will be starting school at everest college,for ma, anyway i really haing secind thought now, cause if i do go to everest what are my chances of getting hired with no experience and having to pay a large student loan back for nothing?

Are You Working? no

I graduated from MA school two years ago with a AAS in medical assisting. I found a job through my school's placement office. The place where I worked had terrible morale and I ended up leaving within three months. I later found out that the other employees left as well. I didn't find another MA position right away, I continually refined my resume. I did take a job in behavioral health. It wasn't a true MA position; but it was in healthcare - and I learned alot about mental health. Fortunately, I now have a nursing assistant position in a government facilty - that is more in line with my MA skills. The important thing is to keep looking, take something in any healthcare related occupation. You will learn and who knows a something good may come out of it. If you can, consider military service in healthcare, it wil pay dividends later.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Nursing Assistant/MA

Are You Still In School? No - graduated

Are You Working? Yes

Re: Re: No wonder so many can't find a job

I graduated from Everest College in 2005 with a AAS in medical assisting - although the name of the school was different was at the time The educationprovided was very good. One has has to remember it is geared for a medical assistant - not for a registered nurse. Also you have to think about the broad range of healthcare facilities you may work in. For example, My externship was in a physical rehabilitation clinic. I worked the front desk, but my back office was conducted in giving pool therapy classes and assisting the physical therapists. I also have worked in cardiology, mental health, and where I'm currently employed - internal medicine (gvernment facility). I'm considered to be a nursing assistant, not an MA. Still, no matter where I worked - I gave it my best. It is all healthcare. I graduated at the age of 49 and I'm a male.

Are You Still In School? No - graduated

Are You Working? Yes

I am going to play devil's advocate here and say this-I have noticed 2 things about male MAs on this site-they either can't find work,or worthwhile work,based mainly on their gender as an MA; or they find high MA positions or duties that the average female MA never find. Unless a male MA wants to write in to say they do all the things that MAs are generally trained for(clinical-wise).

I am a male ma in a Doctor's office. I am responsible for a lady CRNP. I work with her all the time. I do all back offices jobs except for EKG's,Hospital policy.I have been in this office going on 3 yrs. I am the only male in the practice except for the 1 Male MD. If they need anything I am the one that has to move or pickup the object. I am also responible for ordering and maintaining the vaccine used for shots in the practice. I considered moving to another facility in the hospital, but now I can't leave this new family.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: medical asistant

Are You Working? yes

I think it doesn't make any difference gender wise in finding suitable employment as a medical assistant as long as one is qualified and motivated to do the job. There may be some perceived bias - but rest assured many employers are anxious to keep a diversified work force. I tend to throw out alot of sterotypes pertaining to MA's. I think anyone who is motivated to complete 2 years of education is someone worth considering for employment.

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

I work with mostly female RN's, LPN's, MA's, and CNA's in a hospital based internal medicine clinic. By and large our duties are equally distributed. I think that one of the advantages of working at a government facility is that a lot of emphasis is placed on gender equality. Of course, there are physical elements that may require male intervention - but by and large everybody pulls there load in our clinic.

Are You Working? Yes

I have been a cna since 1990... i have worked at several different nursing homes and the local hospital for some time.. I took a home study course for ma.......would anyone really hire me?? The course didnt cost me alot under a grand but now i just need the hands on training even though most of the stuff is cna work.......I have looked every where on the web......i am thinking cause i didnt spend thousands at a school i will never be able to find work....I did get a diplom for the online ma.....took me 6 months to finish out of 2 years....yayya........anyone suggestions would be greatful.......thanks sheilla

Your Professional Title/Credentials: cna

Are You Working? full time

I have been teaching medical assisting for 12 years. Following is a list of some of the main reasons I see new graduates not getting hired:

Poor communication skills during the interview.
Inappropriate dress for the interview.
Not being on time for the interview.
Not showing a willingness to make big sacrifices for the clinic with which you are interviewing.
Asking the wrong questions (e.g. "How many holidays do I get?)

I recall a few years ago one of our graduates coming back to the school, in tears, after 3 months of interviewing but not yet having been hired. Come to find out, she was terrible during the interviews. As an example, when they asked her to "tell me abour yourself" her reply was "Well, I am 30 years old, I have 3 children, we like to play baseball" and so on.

When the interview asks you "tell me about yourself" believe me they are not looking for this type of inforamtion. Better, tell then why you chose medical assisting as a profession, your educational and professional goals. Stay clear of the personal stuff.

Let the interviewer know what you can do for them, not what they can do for you. Also, don't let the "experience" only keep you from applying for the job. I once applied for a job for which I did not have the requisite "qualifications" but I got the job anyway. Why? None of the applicatants had the qualifications and turned out I was the closest to what they were looking for!!!!

Brush up on your interveiw technques and resume. Most state employment agencies have personnel on hand to assist you with this type of stuff. Contact them as soon as possible and keep on going.

There is a job out here for all. MA's, believe it or not, ARE in demand. Good luck.

Send me an e-mail and let me know what is going on!!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA (AMT)

Are You Working? yes

Hey there! Putting my 2 cents in as some one who works for a University with a CAAHEP accredited MA Diploma program...Suzanne, I agree completely. In my experience, although brief, the reason students aren't hired (or selected for internships) is not due to a lack of knowledge or skill but because of poor skills in areas such as such as professionalism.

On another note, my personal opinion as a consumer is that people want to hire MAs with experience because they realize that the MA will make or break the practice. They have more contact with the patient than any other person in the office including the doctor. The same goes for front desk. When is the last time you saw an ad for medical front office that didn't require experience?

FYI, I'm not an MA but I do place them in internships and have extensive contact with the local health care community.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Regional Health Professions Internship Manager

Are You Working? Yes

just wondering if anyone attened school at the salter school fallriver??? i went the other day for information and i am real excited to go in sept...the made out a montly payment through sally mae......It will cost 11,ooo......Can anyone let me know if this is way too high........the classes run day time 4 days a week 830am to 230pm...the schol is small and real close to work so i can go right after class.....i just dont want to spend crazy money if i dont have too.......thanks sheilla

Are You Working? yes

$11,000 is alot of $$$ to be an MA. Careful...the career counselors at these schools make bonuses off of your enrollment! Is there a community college nearby with MA program? Many of us wish we went through LPN program instead for much less money and a license when it's all done. I have no respect for these private schools which charge such high fees so we can make $10.00/hr.and credits which do not transfer. Read through all the posts before you sign on.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Working? Just left after 1 year-interviewing now

At our school, AAS in MA is 2 yrs. @ 1,182 per quarter. This is the price no matter what degree. The lpn is a year here. Yes it is cheaper, but I don't wanna be nurse so...2 years it is.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Student Medical Assitant/Pharmacy tech @ walmart

Are You Working? yes

I totally agree with how hard it is to find a job as an MA. Fortunately for me I was hired at the sight where I did my externship. However, I work my but off too. The doctors I work for are a father and son and the mother is the office manager. Trust me, they watch every move I make. My pay is now 11/hr, I started at 10/hr, I've been with them a year now. They offer health insurance only for myself which they pay full. It's great, better than what I was doing before. I was a hairstylist for 23yrs and was tired of working for people who didn't offer benefits. I always had the dream of becoming a nurse. So, I took this route and am taking classes to fulfill that dream. I did work as a CNA one I got my certification from the MA school. It does help to get a job as an MA, at least it shows some experience. I may sound like th job I have is great, and it is at times, but the older doctor is a grouch and he yells, and I don't like that. There is no reason to talk to people like that. Just because they make a lot of money and he lives in a very expensive neighbor hood driving his mercedes doesn't give him the right to yell at me.... gracee

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA/CNA

Are You Working? yes

I live in Tennessee and i have seen the same problem with needing the experience. However i have chosen to go forward in my choosing of the Medical assistant. When i do finish my school i will have a associate degree in applied science . Hopefully that will help me on finding a job.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Attending Medical assistant school

Are You Working? no

I have been looking around for a MA job....and it is HARD! Either you have to have experience or you no one here has even heard of us!! What do I do? There are MAs out there in the work field giving us students a bad rep! I really hope that I can find a job so that I didn't just do this for nothing!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Working? not yet!

You are so right a facility will hire a rn or lpn w/o any experience but not a MA. Another thing i always see posted for MA positons is emplyoyers wanting MA's 2 have more than a 2 year degree or a 4 year degree. What MA you know has a 4 year degre. If i had a 4 year degree i would'nt be MA, i would be a nurse or something else higher in the medical field. I've been a CNA for 2 years and part of me wants 2 go back 2 being one. Im at the position now where i can demand $12 and up. Most Office want 2 offer me $8 or $9 a hour cause i have no experience. Thats rediculous!!! for all the work a MA has 2 do and all you can offer is $8. So even with CNA backround its hard

Your Professional Title/Credentials: HHA, CNA, MA

Are You Still In School? NO

Are You Working? NO

I AM CURRENTLY WORKING AT EMORY HEALTHCARE WHERE THE SALARY IS MUCH LOWER THAN ANY OTHER HOSP IN THE METRO ATLANTA AREA, MA'S IN MY CURRENT DEPARTMENT ARE NOT RESPECTED WEITHER YOU ARE CERTIFIED OR NOT WE CARRY THE LOAD IN OUR DEPARTMENT AND WORK VERY HARD HOWVEER THE I AM FIDING THAT THE DOWNSIDE FOR AS LOOKING FOR EMPLOYMENT WAS THAT MC MA, CMA, OR RMA DOESN'T FALL UP UNDER ALLIED HEALTH THAT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE IWOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHY I THINK WHAT WOULD MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE IF WE HAD A NATION WIDE UNION LIKE THE NURSES AND OTHER SUCH PROFESSIONS ALIKE.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CERT MED ASST/ CERT PHLEB TECH

Are You Still In School? NO

Are You Working? YES

I JUST WANTED TO SAY I, I HAVE BEEN IN THE HEALTH FEILD FOR 11 YEARS FIRST AS A NURSE AIDE, SECOND A MEDICATION AIDE, AND NOW NATIONAL REGISTERED CERTIFIED MEDICAL ASSISTANT. A BIG TITLE WITH WITH NO BIG PLACE TO GO! I SPENT ALMOST A YEAR LOOKING FOR A MEDICAL ASSISTANT JOB WITH ONLY FOUR INTERVIEWS AND FINALLY ONE JOB. I WORKED THERE FOR ALMOST A YEAR UNTIL I GOT FED UP WITH A LVN AND NURSE AIDE WHO WERE ALWAYS TRYING TO ACT LIKE THEY WERE BETTER THAN ME. THE PAY WHEN I STARTED WAS 50 CENTS LESS THEN WHAT I MADE AS A NURSE AIDE AND I WAS ALWAYS GOING TO OUR SURROUNDING CLINICS WHEN THEY WERE SHORT STAFFED BECAUSE I WAS THE ONLY ONE WILLING TO DO IT. I FINALLY BLEW UP AT BOTH THE NURSE AIDE AND LVN AND DID NOT GO BACK. I TOLD THEM THAT I DID NOT KNOW WHAT MADE THEM FEEL SO SPECIAL BUT THAT I HAD JUST AS MUCH KNOWLEDGE IN THE HEALTH FIELD AS THEY DID AND IF THEY HAD A PROBLEM, THEY COULD SHOVE IT WHERE THE SUN DOESN'T SHINE. I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM ALL TROUGH OUT MY EXTERNSHIP WITH THE ER, HEART HOSPITAL, AND OB/GYN. THE ONLY PLACE THAT WAS NICE TO ME AND REALLY WANTED TO SHOW ME SOMETHING WAS THE LAB IN THE HOSPITAL. I HAVE FINALLY DECIDED TO BACK FOR RN IF I CAN. I RECIEVED ASSISTANCE THROUGH THE WORKFORCE INVESTMENT ACT FOR MY MEDICAL ASSISTANT SCHOOL BECAUSE I AM A SINGLE MOTHER OF FOUR, SO NOW I DON'T KNOW IF I WILL BE ABLE TO GET ANY HELP TO GO BACK. I AM SO MAD BECAUSE I COULD HAVE WENT AHEAD AND USED THAT HELP TO GO FOR LVN, BUT BECAUSE EVERYONE WAS TELLING ME HOW THEY WOULD BE REPLACING LVN'S WITH MEDICAL ASSISTANTS ETC., I ENDED UP WASTING TIME AND MONEY! IF ANYONE WHO IS READING THIS IS THINKING ABOUT GOING FOR MEDICAL ASSISTANT, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: N.R.C.M.A

Are You Working? No

just wondering if anyone attened school at the salter school fallriver??? i went the other day for information and i am real excited to go in sept...the made out a montly payment through sally mae......It will cost 11,ooo......Can anyone let me know if this is way too high........the classes run day time 4 days a week 830am to 230pm...the schol is small and real close to work so i can go right after class.....i just dont want to spend crazy money if i dont have too.......thanks sheilla

Hi Sheila

I'm going to go to school for RMA in a school that is accredited by ABHES and the course is 15 months and I will have my Associates degree. Now $11,000.00 dollars is too much. Where I'm going to attend it's $5,000.00 per semester and it's 2 semesters in a year. So its $10,000 dollars. Okay the point is is that Financial Aide and another program in NY is going to pay 80% of my tuition. I believe it's because it's a College. Hope this helps a little

Your Professional Title/Credentials: For the moment House Wife

Are You Still In School? am going in May

Are You Working? No

To be honest,anything over a few thousand is too much but only because there is such a big chance you will not find a job. Of course the school will tell you otherwise and 9 times out of 10 it is a blatant lie. Where I went it was $10,000 and a Pell grant covered $4000,their limit for the time span,so that meant a government loan picked up the rest-until 6 months after classes ended and the loan payments started up. Imagine yourself in the not too distant future writing a check every month for training that you cannot put to use due to the many reasons why it is so HARD to get a job in this field.

Are You Working? No

Hi Been There

I agree with you. Sorry you had to go threw that I am fortunate that i only have to pay $2,000.00 when I'm done, But i know what you are going threw, because I went to school for Cosmetology 5yrs ago and till today I'm paying back the student loan. So I guess were on the same boat

Your Professional Title/Credentials: For the moment House Wife

Are You Still In School? am going in May

Are You Working? No

Yeah,a bigger emphasis has to be put on how LONG you will be paying. It can be a hardship even with finding work but imagine not being able to,which as more and more are proving is becoming the norm in this field. Not to mention the high interest rate and you will discover after a year of making big payments that you haven't made a dent on the balance.

Are You Working? No

thanks everyone for the reply.. i did some homework on the pricing.. the local college has offered the medical assiting course for half which means 6,000 for monday through friday finish in 6 months. not bad compared to 12,000 4 days a week......so i think i may due the 6,000 college one. maybe its all in the name on where you go... Salter school has been around for 30 something years but its a fancy school with a pricy tag.. thanks sheilla

Are You Working? yes full time

Wow! I recently started reading your postings while I am in a medical assisting program in Georgia. I am in my 7th month with 4 more to go, less my externship and have already found a job with a dynamic practice. They are willing to help me with school and augment my classroom setting with the hands on experience all are screaming for. I do have to say however that one must be ones own advocate. I look around my classes and see a lot of people who have no buisness in that program or any other for that matter. You will always have to sell yourself on your own merits not a piece of paper. I have a 4.0 GPA and have worked hard to apply myself in class and I feel fortunate to have landed such a great opportunity this early in a new career. Where there is a will there is always a way!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA student

Are You Working? just got hired

Wow, Rainman!!! That's great! You have worked extra hard, and it shows. Employers like people that are serious about their career.

From your nickname, are you a male medical assistant!?

1 2 3