This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Job stratagies

I hope I don't come across as sounding "ms.know it all" I don't mean to be, I just remember seeing some of my fellow classmates after graduation, not being able to find a job, b/c of what they thought were roadblocks.

-IF a job description is for a MA position; and it says experience "preferred" don't let that stop you from applying for the job, if your resume is impressive there is a good chance they will call you.

-During an interview, if the person says "we are really looking for someone with experience" that is the time to let them know what a hard worker you are and you pick up on new things very easily. Unfortunately some employers don't like to train.

-This can be a little time consuming step; but it has helped for of my classmates find jobs, find out how far are you willing to travel for a job, 5, 10, 15 etc. miles from your home. Get the yellow pages look up "physicians" and start calling and talk w/ the managers (if possible) the receptionists/nurses usually don't know about job openings or won't share that info. w/ you. It doesn't hurt to ask if they are currently hiring or will be hiring in the future, if yes fax/mail/email resume to attention manager. If you only want to work in a certain field (ob/gyn, peds, etc) just look up those doctors in the phone book or a good website for finding businesses is www.whitepages.com .

I hope those of you looking for jobs have good luck in finding something soon. I know it can be frustrating.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: cma

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Re: Job stratagies

Kudos, Mandi. That is very good advice and I know many here will appreciate your tips. We cannot assume that everybody automatically knows what to say and how to behave during an interview. It takes practice and experience, or in this case, someone sharing their experiences and tips to better be prepared.

Thank you for having taken the time to lend a helping hand to our fellow medical assistants seeking a job.

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Site Admin

I graduated from an accredited school in June. I completed my externship requirements on Friday and went on the payroll at the same office on Monday morning. This was a temporary position for the summer which has been extended now. I am currently looking for another position (full-time, permanent). I have sent out tons of resumes and been on many interviews, but have had no offers. I have already tried the suggestions listed, going through the phone book, checking websites, temporary agencies, etc. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
By the way- I have been a CNA for ten years, and even though the pay for MA is the same as CNA in my area, I MUCH prefer MA work!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? NO

Are You Working? YES

Offices aren't hiring new medical assistants not because they don't want to take the time to train them- they are not hiring them because they don't want to take the chance on those who haven't proven themselves in a long-termed work setting. The ones in the position of hiring are well aware of all the poor training programs there are. They are not even advertising their available jobs anymore for this reason. I wouldn't be surprised if any resume that has a school on it that they have heard bad things about goes right into the trash can. Think about that the next time you don't hear anything back after applying somewhere,and you thought your school was terrible. You didn't imagine it.
I say these schools that are wanting your money so badly need to be forced to do a major rehaul of their practices. Some things have got to change because this problem is only going to get so much worse,with many people making a ton of money off of SO MANY trusting students who just want to have a career helping people so they can support their families.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? No and the school was one of the bad ones

Are You Working? After a year and a half,yes