This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
i'm confused, please help!!

hello,
i am a SAHM who is considering starting a MA program here in phoenix. i'm choosing MA b/c i've been in retail mngmnt my whole life and now that i have a child, i'd like to be able to still do something that i could offer excellent customer service, but yet, be home in the evenings and on weekends.

i was set to meet with the admissions guy today at Everest College, however, i'm SO CONFUSED about the accredidation requirements!!

i have been trying to do research on the above listed facility, and found that they are only accredited w/www.ncahigherlearningcommission.org . it doesn't seem like that is what i will need after i read this:

Quote from different forum:
"I have always spoken out, and highly recommended that medical assistant students sign up only with schools that are ABHES and CAAHEP accredited, because only graduates of programs that are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) are eligible to take medical assistant certification/registration exams."

do i need to find a school that is CAAHEP accredited ONLY? we do have 2 here locally (long technical & bryaman schools).

would i be screwed if i went to Everest who doesn't have the CAAHEP accrediation?

does the accrediation make a difference in each state/location?

what if i move from arizona to california or colorado?

does the accretidation affect your payscale?
what schools have a bad rep w/HR people?

your help is appreciated!!
even if you can direct me to an offical website or association, i'd be greateful!

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: none *yet*

Are You Still In School? not yet

Are You Working? no

Re: i'm confused, please help!!

Please, please, please, don't go to Everest. You wouldn't be able to sit for the Certification Exam, and owe about $10,000 in student loans. That place is a rip off. I met with a student "advisor", and I felt more like I was being sold an overpriced, cheaply made T.V. than learning about the program and how good the school is.

Go to a community college--You'll owe less money, be able to obtain Certification, and all in all, have a better education and experience.

sybil, thank you for the reply!
i will definately look into my local CC...

so, by going to a cc, i would be fine taking the Certification exam?

Are You Working? no

IMHO I would forget about going to school for MA and just go to school for LPN or RN. IT is really hard to find a good quality job as an MA, I've read and know a few ppl. who went to school for MA, were made alot of promises by the school to help find them a job; and now they are working, but not as an MA. Don't waste your time or money going the MA route. I'm not bashing the ppl who are MA's now; but just letting the ppl. who are thinking about getting into this field to think long and hard about it. I'm now reconsidering Medical Coding, since it seems they are in the same boat as MA's. I'm going to my local CC Monday and see about going for nursing, even though math is my weak subject, I guess I'll work twice as hard during Pharmacology class.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA/CPT

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Good advice. I would like to suggest that the thread starter look at all the numerous forums on Indeed.com about medical assistants and how so many cannot find a job,no matter what they do.

Many current MA students and grads wanted to go into nursing school,but they didn't want to wait a long time. So they signed on to a tech school that got them and their money right in there. That's one of their appeals and ploys,to sign you up with promises of high pay,plenty of jobs,and overtaking LPNs soon and you can start classes in a matter of weeks.

Unfortunately these tech schools will say anything to get you into the door for MA, BUT you also have to watch out for the tech schools that offer LPN and RN courses in a short amount of time, if you really want to be in the medical field; go to your local cc or vocational school and if you have to get on a list or do your pre-requisite (sp?) courses before you can get into a program. If you have to wait then the wait will be worth it in the long run. Most tech courses that offer LPN and RN are ten times more expensive than local cc and vocational schools. (ex. an lpn course here at a tech school is 17,000 and 5500 the vocational.) Good luck...

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA/CPT

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Luvmysoxfan -

I went to Pima Medical Institute in Mesa. They're accredited through ABHES so I was able to take the certification exam through the AAMA.

I don't know which part of the Valley you're in but that may be another option for you.

If you get certified through the AAMA, then that certification stays with you no matter which state you move to. This isn't the same as being licensed.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA/CHUC

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

thanks tiffany, for that info.

Are You Working? no