This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Medical Assistant Salary

I just don't get it! Why are the salaries for medical assistant so crazy. I read post of MA's making only $9/hr while I make $18/h and I have only been a MA for 3 years. I started off at 12.50/hr in 2004. I undrstand why some of you are "mad". I think everyone should just go back to school! I am in school right now(I want out of the medical realm!) because this is already such a thankless job......I couldn't do it if I were only making what some of you do!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA, CNA

Are You Still In School? YEs

Are You Working? Yes

Re: Medical Assistant Salary

It is bizarre, I know CNA's bust their butts off, but I know two that are making more than myself; and they haven't been in the field a year. So if I have more training and experience where's my pay?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA/CPT

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

I live in Michigan (near Detroit), and MAs on average (according to indeed.com) make about $30,000- $33,000 a year, which is more than in mostRM states.

Why such a vast difference?

I guess it depends on the area, I live in a large resort area; and I know some MA's are paid more per hour, It depends on what doctor thinks your worth? If you work at a family practice that is run by a hospital you are more likely to get paid less (which is where I work) I've heard in private practice the starting pay is slightly higher, also if you get with a civilian contractor for the military, pay is also higher, depends on where you go; but it is still amazing CNA's (I know they do more physical more work than we do.)

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA/CPT

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes