This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Penn Foster?

Hi there!

I just briefly wanted to say hi and let you know how great this website is! It's a wonderful resource and I hope more people will take advantage of it. I think the forum feature is great - it brings us all together in an industry where there are a LOT of questions about how to get started and how to make your mark. Cool!

I do have a question: I'm currently employed full time in the telecommunications field, but am hopeful about a future in medical assisting. Primarily, I'm focused on the administrative end of things - the billing, reception, front and back office portions "at the desk." I'm wondering about courses of study and I've heard some things about Penn Foster's program. From what I can tell they are not ABHES accredited, but would their program still provide a good basis for someone who already has several years work experience? If not, could you recommend a program that might be better suited?

Thanks!

Michael

Are You Working? Yes

Re: Penn Foster?Please read!

mikeytjb7,

I didn't know which Penn Foster you were referring too? There is one in PA and one in AZ, I did a BBB search online for the one in PA, and this is the following info. They are a member, but look how many complaints they had...

http://www.scranton.bbb.org/commonreport.html?bid=10011476

This is the one for AZ:

http://data.phoenix.bbb.org/commonreport.html?bid=26004671

They have only had nine complaints vs. the PA school. I hope you take this into consideration, a school with PA's status sounds like it would be trouble..but it is your decision...just make sure you ask the right questions and research them, as far as accreditation, I would be hesitant in going, but that is my personal feeling. Good luck...

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA/CPT

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? yes

Re: Penn Foster?

Hi!

According to CHEA.org, Penn Foster is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education, which is what they tell you to look for, when searching for nationally recognized accredited schools... I'm looking into them, myself, and have done a lot of research... Good luck!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Phlebotomy student/prospective MA student