This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Starting to wonder if becoming a CMA was a mistake..

IM new to this board, Ive been a CMA for 3 years. I have found that the jobs are very hard to come by, and the pay for what we do is minimal. And the last job i had my was very stressfull, i was the only one in the office giving nursing care and we saw at least 25 patients a day. I paid 10,000 to become a MA. I could have gone to a college and become an RN for 6,000. and made 3 times the money. Im not sure at this point if i would suggest anyone becoming an MA.

Anyone out there having this frustrating experience?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Re: Starting to wonder if becoming a CMA was a mistake..

The pay scale here starts at $11.25. Even if you decide to go for nursing, don't get into it for the money. $20-30 an hour may sound good, but it is about the work,not the money. You won't become rich being an RN.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LPN

Are You Working? yes

Ditto to Tracy. I am in nursing school (and being an MA has really helped) and I am not going into if for the money. Nursing is somthing you can no survive doing if you are in it for the the money. If you like being in the medical feild and think nursing is for you than go for it. I made no regrets becoming an MA; it was a good experience and even though it did not pay well $$$ wise it paid off to help me get into nursing school which is REALLY hard to do theses days, most people have to wait 2-3 or more years to get into a program.

How did being an MA help to get you into a nursing program faster? Around here it doesn't matter how many classes you have under your belt,you get on a list and wait 2 years.

Even though no one should enter a program with the sole intent of making a lot of money,there is still a BIG difference between getting $9 an hour as a MA and getting up to $40 as a seasoned RN. And to have to pay more for being an MA and then scrounge around trying to get a job that will accept you! Then it IS a mistake to have taken the time and money to be something that turns out not to be what it's all cracked up to be. More and more are bitterly discovering this.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Curious,

I think what Heartswideopen meant to say by being an MA helped her get into nursing school, during the application process (at least here anyway) the ppl that decide if you are going to get in look at your past medical experience and professional references are helpful too. I know the local cc here, goes by a points system. You have a better chance if you have some background, but if you don't and have passing grades, good references, you'll get into school. Getting into school for RN is a little harder than getting into school for MA, those "fly by night" school's will let ANYONE in it seems who qualifies for pell grant or loan. They do their "entrance tests" which are a joke. So not everyone who applies for RN is going to get in. I've heard alot of ppl. say how it is going to be great being an RN, which it is; but it hard work too, and the rate of "burn out" with nurses is high, it can be very stressful. Yeah the pay is great, but you're not going to get that money by just having RN behind your name. Good Luck!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA/CPT

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? yes

you sound exactly like me when I found out how much cheaper it would have been just to go for my RN...to top that off I go to a private MA school so the credits dont transfer- And yes I will still go to RN school but I'll be starting completely fresh which ****** me off. And I paid 13k >:[

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Working? yes

Only 6 months into my nursing career my Salary is $33.00/hr. My friend has been an MA for 3 years and makes $13.75/hr. And he paid about 5 grand more for school. Do the math people!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN

Re: Starting to wonder if joining AMAA was a mistake

I did the math, it didn't add up. -Why on earth would I want to go to school for 3-4 more years minimum. I learned a long time ago to find something you enjoy doing. Look at the job descriptions. I'll pass on the RN thing.

I did the math, it didn't add up. -My wife is an RN and she couldn't possibly put up with me going to school for 2+ more years to get enough points to get into the RN program, then another 2-4 years depending on if I wanted a BS. She would kick my behind

Did I say "I did the math, it didn't add up."

Beat up on the MAs a little more if you like, I will not be listening. Oh ya, take a cell phone on your way out the door and enjoy your weekend tied to the electronic leash, don't go further than a few minutes from the practice, cause your going to get to haul your sorry behind in at 0 ark bedtime... and no adult beverages. After a while the on call, call back,... becomes a PITA. I'd rather the DW was home instead of working her backside off, no mater what money is offered. Money doesn't replace her: being here, grouchy disposition from interrupted dreams, missing kids stuff,... bla, bla, bla.

I can just about count on this site F'n up my good vibes every time I clicky here. Ya'll have fun now, hear?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: working on it

Are You Working? no

Next time you clicky here,try not to be drunk so you can make sense.

jefff - so, if I read this right, then you are speaking out FOR the medical assisting career, rather than nursing?

Well, in that case you'd be making the same argument that many, including myself have made: medical assistants may not make the money nurses do, but their advantage is that they do not have to work 12-24 hour shifts, nights, weekends, holidays, and on-call. That was one of the reasons why I became a medical assistant, rather than going into the nursing field (either as a CNA - or higher up, as an RN).

I appreciated the job, and enjoyed the time with my family. So, therefore, I agree with you, if that was, indeed, your main point.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Site Admin

Actually, if you do the math correctly you would see that you could make in a week as a nurse what it takes you to make in a month as a medical assistant. Although nurses have to potentially work weekends and holidays and 12 hour shifts; not all nurses do, some work in clinics and other community areas. Look at it this way, those that work 12 hr shifts only work 3 days a week and have four days off; to me that beats working 5 days and only having 2 days off over the weekend. To me a few more years is worth it; plus I get to do a lot more as a nurse than an MA. Nothing wrong with being an MA, but your math does not add up.....

Re: Starting to wonder if joining AAMA was a mistake.

GD
Me not drinker. I can make some assumptions from your response, none good.

Danni R.
That was indeed my point.

Heartsopenwide
Where is DW today? The same place she was at our daughters high school graduation, and many other important events. That 4 on 3 off is nice if they all come in a row, HERS DO NOT! So quit trying to blow something up my backside about the nursing field, I live with it.

Again, at my age I do not have another 5+ years to devote to further study. There is no way it could ever pay off. I have maybe ten years left in the work force spending 5 of those in school leaves 5 working years with a job description (nursing) that I don't care for, so don't tell me how it will pan out.

I came to this site initially to get information on the MA career field. I came back thinking I could broaden my knowledge and possibly form some networking opportunities. Reading through the postings in the last year I have found little that would promote the MA field to someone who lurks without posting. Many responses are shamefully blatant negativity. I have little use for negativity and less tolerance for things not positive, helpful, and good.

This site needs to be an uplifting, positive, helpful, force for MAs to get the pay, benefits and respect they should deserve. It should also be a place to exchange information and ideas, as many have done.

If I had wanted to hear how good something else is or been persuaded to do something else I would have gone to their site.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: working on it

Are You Working? no

AMEN to Jeff. I am a first quarter student trying to find mentors in the profession and all I hear is be an RN, MA is a dead end profession BLAH BLAH BLAH. ALL the MAs I have met are very happy with what they do and are not going back for their RN. If I wanted to be a nurse I could jump on the waiting list train and I do NOT want to pt my life on hold any longer, I am ready to get married and start a family. I also LOVE the MA scope of practice. The things that RNs do are not something I would be interested in. My advice to ppl is try to talk pos. about MAs on this forum plz, for the sake of ppl who CHOSE it and WANT it. besides, I am pretty sure you can find many nursing sites that will gladly bash MAs on their OWN sites.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: SMA

Are You Still In School? why yes

Are You Working? yes

Being an MA is a wonderful profession. I am not against MA's I just wonder why the pay is so low. I have been a nurse for a year and make $35/hr (I live in a high cost area Boston). I work only 3 days a week, thats 12 days a month. I have a lot of free time to do what I want and earn the money to enjoy myself. Like I have said, being a MA is great, and I appreciate all that you do, but the pay is ridiculous. Is there an MA union to fight for higher wages???

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN

IN reply to Tracy's post "You won't become rich being an RN"

Well, you just might. Several years ago, I knew an RN working for a "large medical congolmerate". They sent her (they PAID for 3 years of law school.) She now makes around $150,000 a year. I not sure exactly in what capacity she is working, probably in the compliance area.

I am acquainted with another RN who went to a 3-day seminar for $3000 for some type of "legal" course. Here salary is in the 6-digits.

I also know several RNs who are perfusionists and anethesists. They all make well over 100 grand per year. While I do not consider them to be "rich" (I call rich someone like Toby Keith, who is a neighbor of mine, or the OKC Gaylord family newpaper publishers) but 100 grand in nothing to turn you face up at.

I doubt that any of these people are "in it for the money" but a little more sure helps!!! Ha Ha.

The key here is EDUCATION. How much money do you expect to make after taking a course for 10 months!!!

Go beyond MA school. MA school is a good place to start, but it is not the end-all.

For those individuals, who have been MAs for decades, I applaud your efforts. The money game is no longer important to me. My husband was an Army officer for 41 years. We have a good retirement. We are a long, long way from being "rich" but we have everything we want and then some. I am 57 years old and have achieved most of my lifes goals - my grandchildren are what is important to me now.

I recently quit and $18/hour MA teaching position. The money was not worth the place I worked in. I am planning on going to work in an urgent care clinic for half that amount. I just want something to do part time and keep up may skills until I can draw social security in 5 more years.

If you are not satisfied with MA pay, go for more. Your education was NOT a waste. No education is ever a waste. You have a good start, just keep going. But you must educate yourself if you ever desire to raise your pay.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA (AMT)

Are You Working? yes

Suzanne... excellent post and very good points made. I completely second everything you said, and couldn't have said it any better. I can tell, we see eye to eye on this topic. I am sure that reading this will help many to put the things they are dealing with, or going through in a better perspective. It can be hard to find your "niche" and and happyness.

Thank you!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner?Site Admin

I do not think it is a mistake to study for CMA, but I do think that serious investigation should take place before entering into certain schools. Those that are asking for several thousand dollars and promising employment should be avoided.

A few community colleges in my area offer the medical assisting course for much cheaper. The most I have seen is about $3000 which is a great deal better than $10,000 and being unable to find employment. I paid $300 (yes, three hundred dollars) for my course over 15 years ago, and I added a phlebotomy course for an additional $300. I was able to find many jobs thru an agency at that time and gained a wealth of experience. I still used some of my medical assisting notes for nursing school and my current practice. Good luck, and try not to be discouraged.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LPN

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes