This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Can't find work

I went to a community college for Medial Assisting. It was a 42 credit program (most of which won't transfer). I graduated with high honors and have my certification. I finally got a job after sending out 62 resumes. Since then I moved out of state and over a year later still can't find work as a CMA. I took a job at a hospital as a Nursing Admin Secretary. I spent all that time in school to file & type papers. I don't think I would recommend this field to anyone. I'm very frustrated. Any suggestions.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Re: Can't find work

Count your losses and start taking classes towards nursing school. Being an MA was a great experience and I held the same job for five years before getting into nursing school. My paychecks were always megar but; I always considered it a valuable tool for me to find out in I wanted to be in the medical feild. I am working on my BSN and someday will get my masters. It took me two years to get all the pre-nursing classes and transfer classes out of the way to get into a nursing program at the University. I have on year of nursing under my belt and am in my second year of three. My medical assisting program was only one year and I got to find out that I DO for sure want to be in this field. I would hate to spend the 7 years it is going to take me to get my MSN to find out it was really not for me. If marijuana is a gateway drug to bigger drugs, medical assisting is a gateway to bigger medical careers; but unless you have a spouse that makes a lot of money, its not a job that pays the bills, unless you live in an appartment and drive a older car.

But that's the thing, most people don't have years to go to school to get beyond medical assisting-especially if nothing came out of it but a large loan payment every month. The real unfortunate ones don't qualify for full financial aide but might not have a spouse with a good job either so they would be facing 2 loans hanging over their head. Advancing yourself scholastically is wonderful but there are too many who need help now.
Nursing is a great profession but a lot really do not want to become one. They want to make the most of what they already have with the medical assisting training. That shouldn't be something that goes to waste.
Since too many are stuck with this problem then maybe it's time to start discouraging, strongly, anyone who wants to go into a MA program. It won't run the schools out of business because a lot won't listen but some will.

Are You Working? No,the reason I am writing

Going back to school sounds great, but I am in a position where I have to work. I don't think I could work full time, hold down a family and go to nursing school. I am also 49, and don't know if I could put the energy into it. I have been considering EMT night classes at the community college. I could then work as an ED Tech in the ER where I work. The college also offers a 1 year LVN program that is another thought. I have to do something. I'm going crazy behind a desk. I feel for other MA's in the same circumstances.

Are You Working? Yes

Have you thought about taking a phlebotomy course? They are real short and you make a lot more than a medical assistant.

Have you sent your resume to all the offices in your area? Not that I think you are lying, but I could get a job tomorrow if I wanted to as an M.A. you have to be willing to take a job you might not like as well until another one comes up. I sent my resume to offices that were not advertising, a lot of offices DONT advertise, they are not like McDonalds, they do not put big APPLY WITHIN signs. Also, does your area have a medical assissting group? They could point you in the right direction. What town are you in?

Are you applying for MA positions only? Don't forget with your training, you could work as an office manager, lab technician, phlebotomist, EKG tech etc... You may be qualified for more than you think.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LPN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

I took phlebotomy in school. It actual paid about 2.50 hour less than the MA position I had. I think that the problem might be is going from a big city to a smaller town. Were I live now has a pop of about 80,000. And yes, when I moved here I went down the the yellow pages of the phone book, called practices, asked for fax #'s and sent out my resumes. So, it wasn't for lack of trying.
There are two hospitals, a community college, and a university that has nursing programs between them. Nursing students, LVNs & RN's utilize any positions that a MA would do. Same goes for any Tech positions.

Are You Working? Yes

By any chance did the school you went to give you a line about all the jobs that are out there,how it's the fastest growing field,in high demand,etc...? That is what makes me the most mad. Usually the schools that say that baloney are the weakest when it comes to helping you find something.

When you called these offices for their fax number,did you ever ask to speak to the office manager? I am learning that it's not sending resumes out that can help with getting something but these 'cold calls',where you more or less have to make yourself a pest.