This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is this the best way to transition ? (Need a mentor...)

Hi, I am new to the board. I am re-entering the job market after taking a few years off to focus on family. I have a bachelor's in Comp. Sci. and worked in field for 18 years. My last employers was a pharmaceutical company, where I became interested in the clincal/medical side of R&D.

With the employment gap I have, it is almost mandatory that I first go back to school to brush up on my skills and get some new ones. I want to combine the technology skills and experience I have with some medical training.

I have been exploring medical training at a serveral technical institutes. I'm not sure if Medical Assisting is the way to go or not, but this has been recommended.

Ultimately, I think I would like to work in coding (particularly on the post-marketing side of research and development) I am also interested in medical ethics and public access to medical care.

Does anyone have suggestions on how I can best pursue a move into one or all of these areas ? Or, where I can find someone to mentor me through this process ?

Thanks for your support.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Computer Programmer/Re-entry employee

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? No

Re: Is this the best way to transition ? (Need a mentor...)

Medical Assisting is not they way to go for what you are looking at. Trying going to a JC and meeting with an advisor, they will give you great advice.