This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Worried-

I have 2 more months until I finish school then its off to externship. I have not been able to eat or sleep. I am soo worried about these last 2 months in school. I do very well lecture wise but when we are in the lab and we practice on each other, I have issues. I can't get past drawing blood and giving shots to other people. If I do not overcome this now, I will eaten alive during my externship. Any advice would be very helpful. I am beginning to have doubts and asking myself what have I gotten myself into? I soo want to drop the program right now. Please help. Is there anybody going through what I am going through?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA 2 B

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Re: Worried-

Well, Butterfly: perhaps the externship becomes less scary to you when I tell you that it is to be used, and seen as part of your TRAINING!!! It is not meant for you to go there and administer injections, and draw blood like one of the staff memebers. If so... then they are certainly not doing you, or the school a service, but are abusing the privilege, and using you as a free office staff member.

The externship site is expected to treat and guide you as a student, and help you solidify the skills you was taught in a realistic environment so that you become proficient. That's all it is. So, no, nobody should eat you alive. The experienced medical office staff is there to help and guide you, and report back to the school how you did.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Site Admin

Hey... Take it from me... Its scary at first... then it gets easier.... Just take your time & get adjusted. I am STILL in my externship. I have given shots & done EKG's & drawn blood. While I was at school I was VERY comfortable. When I got to my externship I was trembling.... It gets easier... Just don't forget to breath!

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Like mama bear said, it gets easier. I was soooo nervous doing B/Ps and by the time I graduated I was doing a blood draw at my job interview on my boss...talk about scary!! Once you get comfortable the fear will go away. Anything new is scary. I was an MA for five years before I started nursing school, the first day at the hospital I felt like it was the first day of MA school all over again, despite working with patients for the last five years. Just breath and pretend that you are brave, if you pretend you will come off like you are and maybe even convince yourself!

OH, I didn't say this before BUT....
I carry around a little notepad with me... I jot down ANY & EVERYTHING I think might be even a LITTLE important. Ask a MILLION questions. I do & apparently, I have impressed the dr by doing so. You're going to mess up here & there... thats to be expected. Even a seasoned MA will make a mistake when working in a new office. Its like any other job.... once you learn, you get better & better at it. GOOD LUCK & HANG IN THERE.

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes