This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Its sad to me

I am new to this field. I am still doing my externship. I am learning new things everyday. I LOVE working in a doctors office. YES, I have heard that it is difficult to get a job, I HAVE heard that the pay is lower than what I was told it would be.
But....

Its sad to me that when I came to this site I was looking for support & encouragement and found what seems to me, like disgruntled employees....

I think we should all support each other. Rather than come here & find people trying to pursuad me into going into nursing, I would like to come on this site & hear positive stories of people who enjoy their jobs.

Since I began my externship I have learned to appreciate the inner workings of an urgent care clinic & the interpersonal skills needed by a primary care facility. I find my work rewarding. I KNOW I am not going to get rich working as an MA. But the only way for our industry to grow is through solidarity.

Its sad to me that instead of encouraging new members
of this site to strive for more, many of you instill a fear of a dead end career. Being an MA in the right office WILL open MANY doors.... we just have to be willing to walk through them.

Thanks for listening!

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Re: Its sad to me

Well said.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: working on it

Are You Working? no

Absolutely!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LPN

Are You Working? yes

I agree. Being an MA opened the door for me to get into nursing school. I loved being an MA and never regret going to school to get my education. I do feel disgruntled at times, but mostly from the job I was at for five years. I should have left, and that is my fault for staying because I left comfortable regardless of them taking advantage of my talents as an MA. MAs rock and it is a great area to work, whether you stay a few years and move up like I am doing or stay an MA forever. I beats bagging groceries, it beats flipping burgers, it beats delivering pizza, it beats pushing papers, it beats a lot of jobs that pay the same or less, and some that even pay more!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Student Medical assistant

Are You Working? yes but not as MA

I agree. I was a Medical Assistant for many years and really loved it; but left to pursue another interest. I am now back, but need to go through an accredited program. I am anxious to be back in the field; but find it very discouraging that so many MA's feel that they have had bad experiences. With so many leaving nursing, it's surprising that so many try to pursuade MA's away from Medical Assisting into nursing. I personally prefer ambulatory care and would not want to be a nurse in a hospital.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, AD, SMA

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

I just graduated from an RN program and started out as an MA. I will continue to work OPT at the same facility I did as an MA while pursing the hospital position as well. I love where I work and will continue to do so even as an RN. Unfortunately the pay is way different from a clinic to a hoapital. $6 an hour difference.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LPN

Are You Working? yes