This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
THEY'RE OUT THERE!

The jobs, I mean... They ARE out there... It seems to be unadvertised job openings... The externship site I am at Is offering me a position... They didn't advertise anywhere that they were hiring but, they are looking for two more MA's... My family dr is offering me a job as well. She is not advertising either. You just have to put yourself out there. Just go in the office & ask to speak to the manager....

The work is out there....

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Re: THEY'RE OUT THERE!

Congrats on having something waiting for you. Did you ask this office why they are not advertising the available positions? I bet the answer is that they don't trust the average new graduate. If this is the thinking,then how can a new MA get a job at a place that doesn't know them?

Are You Working? yes

Like I said, it all seems to be word of mouth in this field.... You have to have an "in". You have to just knock on doors & hope that someone gives you a shot...

HOPEFULLY, I WILL have more than just these two opportunities... HOPEFULLY, we ALL will!

Are You Working? yes

you have to sometimes make your own luck.

ask everyone you know in the healthcare field. they might have an opening in their office, or perhaps they will know someone else THEY can ask, etc.

i applied online with a couple of hospitals and medical groups, regardless of whether or not they had open positions at the time. the theory being that most of them will keep your resume on file and when a suitable job does open up they will match you.

i was fortunate in that i applied for one job (with a medical group), which led to a different interview (within the group) for another job. i landed the second job easily. i will grant you, however, that much of it is about being in the right place at the right time.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Well, I think you are PARTLY right... It is part "luck" & the rest is putting yourself "out there".

I did.. I applied for jobs BEFORE i was done with my externship. I went on only ONE interview & got a job... You have to know how to carry yourself. Present yourself as confident in yourself & your abilities & your short comings won't be as evident.

Are You Working? yes

There are many though who NEVER hear back anything from all the jobs they applied for. It could be any reason,poorly constructed or unimpressive resume,bad timing,etc. What needs to be done then is calling. Not once was that mentioned in my classes. I guess the schools aren't going to tell you how sometimes you won't hear back from ANY of the jobs you sent a resume to. Many of those applying are just naive and think "Well,they must not want me" and then feel worse every time it happens,until they get to the point that they always expect NOT to hear back anything.

But the problem of not getting as far as an interview has to be addressed. Maybe when it gets that bad is when the ex-student should call their school and and say "Help me to at least get an interview,and I will take it from there."

I TOTALLY agree that there are jobs out there! I have finally found out that I got a job, I have been trying since May 07. I have always been in the top two, now I found out I have gotten a well paying job, it is only part time for now, but the starting pay is 12.50 and benefits. I am so excited and nervous at the same time. Just keep trying and hopefully those of you who aren't having luck, will have it soon!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Working? yes

I agree the job are out there. I graduated in May and left a job that paid more, if I worked 40 hrs a week, but I didn't like the job so I didn't work the hrs. I found a job in an OB/GYN office and LOVE IT.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

It took me a year to find out about all the health screening companies there are(do an online search for "On Site Health Screenings"). These are the outfits that go to corporations,either office buildings or factories,and will do a wellness clinic with the employees.Try www.hfit.com to see if there is anything nearby.

Are You Working? Yes,now and then (better than not at all)

12.50/hr is terrible pay. My son just got an entry level job as a patient transporter starting out at 11.00/hr. How much was your school? I am sure as an MA you payed a lot. I hope you are single because you are going to have to work 3 jobs to survive.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN

Congratulations Candice!
$ 12.50/hr may not be a lot in some areas, but it is in others. High or low pay rates are relative to an area's cost of living; or a person's personal financial picture. Depending on the benefits, an hourly pay rate can actually end up being quite high; especially health insurance benefits. Many people don't take benefits into consideration when evaluating a job's pay rate. However, believe me that employers fully feel it, when they are paying salary and benefits for an employee; it is part of the salary to them.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, AD

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Some words of encouragement...All of a sudden there are many openings in the paper for MA's and I am so blessed to have secured a position from responding to one such ad. However, I just want to share the experience I had after dropping in an office which wasn't advertising, except for new patients. Turns out they were getting ready to post an MA position. I learned a little about it and offered that it sounded like a 'good fit' for me. When I left, I got the impression I would be getting a call for a formal interview. I waited 1 wk. while going on other interviews. I called the office after 1 week and asked if the OM had a chance to look over my resume and let her know I was interviewing heavily this week and asked when they would begin their process of interviewing. They were not in a hurry but I let her know I was interviewing and still very interested in the position. Then I received a great offer but the other office (where I dropped by) was less than half the distance away so I didn't want to make a decision without learning more about the closer office. So...I called 2 days after my last call and 'pushed' for an interview, explaining that I need to make a decision by Friday and would love to learn more about their position. To make long story short, I was granted an interview the following a.m. and got positive feedback for 'promoting myself'. They didn't think I was too pushy which is what I was afraid of. The position isn't a good fit. So...I will commute and be happy I found just what I was looking for!

Are You Working? Starting new/better MA position in 5 days!

It sounds like you were having a lot of interviews. Many MAs looking for work don't get hardly any (and sometimes none),and the disappointment can cause them to back off in looking harder. Let me ask you a few questions and maybe your answers can offer tips-

1. About how many offices did you just drop in? How would you pick these offices-by distance or the practice? Is this something you would encourage,to just "drop in",or is calling better?

2. When you walked into these random offices,how were you dressed? Were you carrying anything,like a portfolio?

3. What EXACTLY did you say to the front desk person? This is important because a lot of ex-students are not taught just what to say when they present themselves in a situation like this.

4. If you asked for the office manager and they would come out of their office,what would you say then? Isn't this an awkward few seconds since it is more or less a do or die moment? It is probably the reason most people would rather call.

5. Would you say a follow up call is extremely important and is the time to do the REAL selling? Do you think you made yourself sound more appealing by saying you were doing a lot of other interviews?

If you could answer these questions,it might help someone.

Are You Still In School? Graduated 2 years ago

Are You Working? Now and then

I start ma school in about a month and a little anxious about this whole thing and finding a job later and how I'll do. I know people complain about low salaries. in ca we start out about 12-13 dollars an hr. However, I am very grateful for an opportunity to have a stable career and better health benefits. I am trying to get off any welfare/gov't benefits, which is HORRIBLE to live on. Anyone here who has been there knows what I mean. I just have myself and my parakeets to support-no family. I also have a hard job as a security guard in a movie studio. You are outside in the extreme cold/heat with little or no protection for $10/hr. you are not guarenteed 40 hrs a week either. I am hoping a ma job will be much better.

It sounds like you were having a lot of interviews. Many MAs looking for work don't get hardly any (and sometimes none),and the disappointment can cause them to back off in looking harder. Let me ask you a few questions and maybe your answers can offer tips-

1. I am convinced a drop-in is so much better if you are dressed right and ready to make a good first impression. Always ask to briefly speak with the OM. When asked why, just say you'd like to personally give her/him your resume.

2. I was dressed business casual. I carried a two-pocket folder.

3. See #1 for answer.

4. I introduce myself with my name first and then as a certified medical assistant. I shake their hand.I state that I am seeking employment and stopped by "your office because of it's location, heard good things about Dr. So&So, saw an advertising for new patients in the paper, whatever. The point is to let the OM know you chose their office. Hold onto your resume for now. Smile. Grab their business card. Write the OM's name on it. I asked if they had ever hired CMA's before? Then I would offer my resume to highlight what skills I learned in school, on externship, previous work, etc.

5. Ask if you can call after they've had a chance to go over your resume. I don't know if I created any urgency by saying that I was interviewing. I didn't get an interview with them until I called again and said, "I have an offer and I have to give my answer in 4 days. I'd hate to let this opportunity go by without at least learning more about your needs. Can we meet soon?" This happened to be true which gave me the confidence to get 'pushy'. What do you have to lose? A position you weren't going to get anyway???

My school offered a manadatory seminar on resume's, mock interviews with critic of our clothing choices and answers to the basic questions. Did your school prep you at all for interviews? It takes practice. I admitt the first few felt 'icky' but it got easier. I hope you will let me know how it goes.

Are You Working? Starting new/better MA position in 4 days!