This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Injections,State by State

I am hoping someone can give me an answer as to how to find out which states allow MAs to give injections,and what are the laws regarding the ones that do. I know in this state(Ohio) we can, but I thought it was only if a doctor is around. Does anyone know if there are situations when that isn't required? I ask because after waiting over a year as an MA,I am finally getting the jobs for 2 companies,Interfit/Rediclinic,and Retail Health. The latter is currently scrambling around trying to get nurses to do their flu shot clinics. They only allow nurses to give injections but I know the OTHER company will allow MAs to do them-but I am wondering if it is only in certain states. Do some states permit MAs to give shots without a doctor nearby?

Re: Injections,State by State

Hi,

I'm in Oklahoma, and MAs can give injections, without a doc in the room.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Phlebotomy student/prospective MA student

But he or she has to be on the premises,right?
My class didn't even get to practice injections because they couldn't get a doctor to come in and watch.

Thanks for replying.

As far as in the doc's office, yes, the doctor must be around, just not in the room... But, in school, there's no actual doctor there; the classes are taught by either nurses, or MAs.

Do MAs get to start IVs where you are? We can, here, with extra training. I haven't started classes, yet, but I know what I'm getting into! Same with catheters: some classes here, teach you how to place/remove catheters, and some don't.

Hmm, I re-read your original post. I don't know why that is; unless they're afraid the patient may have a reaction, and the nurse could handle it, better. ? Reactions usually don't happen that fast, though. I know, here, my husband and I are getting our flu shots on Monday, and an MA is doing it. Our kids are getting them, next week, and I believe an MA is doing them, as well.

My class got cheated out of practicing actual injections because the school didn't try hard enough to arrange for a doctor to be on the site for ONE day. We also got the training for IVs and catheters but the instructors hemmed and hawed over whether we could actually do them anywhere. I would think yes for the urinary catheters since some area hospitals allow their 'patient care techs' (CNAs) to change them. As for MAs doing IVs here......I thought no until I heard of a company called "Medtexx" that will go around from state to state and train health care workers to do them. I don't know what to make of that company though since they have these workshops for IV, Phlebotomy and PICC Line training and they each last ONE DAY.

My original question though-
Do some states NOT allow MAs to give injections no matter who is supervising?

Are you getting training to just START IVs, like get them in the vein but not actually push meds or hook up to the I.V. machine? Because LVNs and LPNs can't even do that.

My class just went over the basics,and we were shown the equipment and told how it's used,and that was it. Some students were adamant on how with special training MAs COULD start them,and the teacher(s) never said a word,like they weren't sure themselves. One student in her externship was actually disconnecting them (in an ER) and I am not even sure if the school was aware of it.

Now I thought LPNs COULD do more than start them,and that it was a main difference between them and MAs.

LPN's can hang bags, piggybacks, and set pumps, but cannot IV push, or hang blood in Wisconsin. I am finishing my RN degree in December and started as an MA. In this state, MA's nor LPN's are trained to start IV's. LPN's can in a hospital setting with additional training, depending on the facility.

As an MA, you are working under the supervision of an MD, so I can see where you could not give injections unless an MD was present.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LPN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Tracy-Then how can they get away with having MAs giving flu shots at wellness screenings which are set up in stores and companies?

And what do you think of this-http://www.medtexx.com/index.asp

I've heard of that Medtexx group, but I'm not sure I'd trust them, either.

I can take a 30 hour class, called IV Therapy for Medical Assistants, my my local Tech Center. It says, "MAs will learn Medical Office IV therapy to include drip rate calculations, IV initiation and maintenance, and proper documentation." Sounds interesting, but first, I need to become an MA!

Re: Injections, State by State (Medtexx)

Realize: Medtexx is a private "hands-on" medical certification and skill enhancement company and although they work with work with various state agencies, veteran's programs, human resource agencies, job services, hospitals, community organizations, etc. they are not an approved Certification Exam Body for licensure in the state of California.

How are they able to operate? Because medical assistants and phelbotimists are STILL not requred to be licensed in MOST states. Therefore, offering an oline course to learn certain medical assisting and healthcare skills does not conflict with any particular laws or regulations, except in those state where licensure is mandated.

Those seeking medical assistant training must first understand the meaning AND purpose of a good medical assistant program.

Don't become one of those HORROR STORIES where students wind up with certificates, or diplomas that are completely worthless, and with job placement assistance that consists of nothing but a list of doctors copied from the local area's Yellow Pages (if that much!).

REMEMBER: A stamped certificate from a proper organization or school is a credible document. Although most online learning programs offer some sort of certificate upon course completion, the term "certificate of completion" should not be confused with "professional certification". Those are two different things.

A non-recognized, no-credit medical assistant online course certificate of completion is NOT THE SAME as the documentation received upon graduation from a vocational medical assistant training program, and passing a national certified/registered medical assistant exam.

The purpose of a certification exam is to certify that a person is proficient, and qualified to perform a certain job, which earns them their professional designation.

Certification trough national certification bodies indicates that the individual has a specific set of knowledge, skills, and experience in the view of the associated certifying body.

When issued by a gray-area, unrecognized program, or worse, a diploma mill, it is by no means confirmation of conferment of an individual's knowledge, academic excellence, or qualification for a specific job.

Read more here: http://www.certmedassistant.com/accredited_programs.htm

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Site Manager

MAs are allowed to give injections, such as flu shots, allergy shots, Vit B12, or PPD, and many others AS DIRECTED and PRESCRIBED by a medical doctor, or licensed health care practitioner.

In all cases, a medical doctor (or licensed healthcare professional) HAS TO BE present to be immediately available in case of adverse, or allergic reactions. A medical assistant is NOT allowed to do triage, case assessment, or well... we all know this, practice medicine without a license. If an emergency such as anaphylaxis occurs, this would be a HORRIBLE situation, for the patient, the doctor under which the MA works, and of course the MA, without a doctor present. (Malpractice Law Suit - Here I Come!!!! Big time.).

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Site Manager

I do not know the legalities of that specific company and what liability umbrellas they work under. I myself have worked flu shot clinics, but they were just that- in a clinic with a physician on site. I'd be leery of that company as Danni stated.

Are You Working? yes

i am in IL and a recent graduate of an MA program. we were taught to give injections as well as start IVs. my understanding was that the doc had to be in the building for us to give injections. as for IVs, the jury is still out on that. what makes most sense to me is that we can start an IV, but we cannot push meds.

when i externed, even within the same medical business (but different sites), it varied on whether or not we were allowed to give injections. at one site i was handed the syringe and sent on my way by myself. at another location i was absolutely NOT allowed to give any injections regardless of supervision. at another site i was allowed to draw, but not inject. at another site i did not draw, but could inject!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

In Wisconsin we can give injections, with a doctor on the premises. I've given flu shots in an office, I'm not sure about "flu shot clinics." I have seen the info you're looking for online; but unfortunately, I don't remember where. Try a search for MA Scope of Practice.

Tracy- MA's here can now start and run IV's for sodium chloride, etc. for dehydration.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, AD, SMA

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Ramona, can I ask what school you went to and was that included in your training or was it OTJ? I just graduated from an RN program , and even the LPN program does not teach IV starts, we learn it in semester 3/4. My MA program was 15 years ago at WCTC Waukesha.

Are You Working? yes

Tracy,

Sorry I didn't respond to your question. I just saw it. Concordia University. I haven't had that training yet, but I was told by the director that they now teach this.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, AD, PNCC, SMA

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

LPNs can place IV lines that do not exceed 3in in length also hang IVF as well as IVF with antibiotics. They can't do anything with blood or blood products, can give pain meds can't titrate dose or give any cardiac preprations