This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Opinions,please

Saw this on a phlebotomy website where someone wrote of having trouble finding work and was considering medical assisting. This was one reply-

"I find more openings for MA's than Phlebs, but I'm in Fl so maybe it's different where you are. If you just go to all the clinics and give them a well written resume you could get hired as an MA and still do sticks. You will also receive OJT on injections and vitals, preparing pt's for the Dr. All that stuff is super easy. Just let the interviewing Dr know that you are confident with sticks and that you are confident you will pick up the other stuff quickly. MA is like a 2 yr associates degree, but you don't really "need" it to get a job as an MA. Having the degree qualifies you to become certified. If MA is not you're ultimate goal in life, there is no need to get certified. You get awesome experience and then while doing that go to school for RN which is also a 2 yr program. MA's are hired off the street all the time. It's very low paying just like Phleb, but it's fun. Do some research online...Google "how to take vitals". I found some great step-by-step instructions on how to take BP. I didnt research "injections" The other MA just showed me how to do it. The hardest part is remembering what meds are mixed with what and how much of each. Just write it all down. With my job, I also run the front, answer phones, file, set/confirm appts. So, now my resume is all souped up. You just have to make it shine."

I for one find the advice pretty ridiculous (injections are "super easy"?!) and know that there is no way you can walk into any doctor's office with a spiffy resume and get hired on the spot for on the job training.

Are medical assistants hired "off the street" all the time still? If so then that is pretty bad. NOBODY should be hired with no previous training for ANY medical job.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: TRAINED CMA

Re: Opinions,please

Apparently they still are in some places. Here in WI, certification is now a prerequisite. That wasn't the case 10 years ago but times have changed- thank goodness! And I mean certified MA, not certified phlebotomist.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LPN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Yes, MA's ARE still hired off the street & trained on the job. Sad but true. More & more though, they ARE requiring a certification.
A phlebotomist is only in school for like 3 months where as an MA is there for a minimum of a year. They don't KNOW the human anatomy the way that an MA knows it & I am actually pretty offended by that "reply".

An MA is better trained than a phlebotomist.

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

It was only possible to take the Certification exam with experience, until 1998. Tracy, I am in Wisconsin also. I see ads all the time that require
completion of an accredited program; but not Certification. What part of Wisconsin are you in?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, AD, SMA

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

I am in Southeastern WI, between Milwaukee and Madison. You?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: GN

Are You Still In School? NO- finally!

Are You Working? yes

I'm in Milwaukee. Since I posted last though, I am seeing a few more that are requiring Certification. Still, for the most part they are not here.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, AD, CNA, SMA

Are You Working? No

I work in Lake Mills, and from what I have seen in Waukehsha, Oconomowoc, Watertown, Madison etc, it is a requirement.
When I graduated in 1993, I was the first certified MA at my place of employment in Oconomowoc and they didn't know what to do with me. They had " medical assistants" that were trained OTJ. I roomed patients. I took weights and temps, was not even allowed to do BP's! It was awful. Obviously alot has changed since then. I also strated at $6.30 an hour ha ha!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: GN

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? yes

Tracy:

I just interviewed yesterday for a position that is not requiring Certification OR completion of a program; BUT does require experience. Really unusual here. What is the average salary in your area? The salary that they are offering is quite low; and it would help to know if it is pretty consistent throughout the State.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, AD, PNCC

Are You Working? No

LOL, this is an epidemic in the MA field too many people who don't even care enough to hire a Cma-- al they want is a warm body to fill a job and to tell you they truth ANYTHING that an MA does can be trained on the job-it's really not rocket science!! my clinic just hired a girl 4 months ago to be a file clerk and she now does MA work side be side with me!! We all chipped in training here to do pretty much everything!!The ony thing the office manger wont allow her to do is draw blood or give injections but EVERYTHING else from UA to pregancy tests, to vitals to exiting patients she does it all after 4 months!! and she's taking a 8 week phleb course soon to know how to do that!! So yea it's possible to function as an Ma "right off the street" but it doesn't make the ones who went to school and studied like a dog to take the CMA exam feel good at all.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA--but soon to be a nurse!!

Are You Still In School? nope graduated in 2005

Are You Working? yep in a clinic

Here MA's range from $11.00-13.00. It may be more in the bigger cities.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Yeah, here they start 10-13... CMA or not... Lots of places just ask for experience & not certification.... I wish I would have looked into this BEFORE I spent all that money.....

I live in Las Vegas... but, I have an AWESOME job... I think I got very lucky

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes