This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Men As Medical Assistants?

Hello, I am a 40 year old man looking to work as a back office medical assistant until I get into an RN program (2 year wait). As an older male, I'm a little worried about becoming a MA. Will I be totally out of place and have a hard time finding work? Thanks, John

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Returning student

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Re: Men As Medical Assistants?

Sexual orientation has nothing to do with it, your not worried about becoming and RN, you should not be worried about becoming an MA

Thank you for your opinion. However, do consider my concern. Unlike MA's, there is a true shortage of RNs so gender or lack of work experience will not likely hinder a new RN grad from landing a job quickly. In contrast, it appears that a new MA without the proverbial 1+ year of experience may have a hard time finding employment. To be honest though I'm not so worried that as a male I won't get hired as a MA as much as I feel I'm comparatively old for the profession. When I visited the MA school there were no men in the class and I've has to say that the median age of the students was about 22. I suppose it's my head trip, but how many 40+ year old male MAs have you come across? Tell me it's OK! He he.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Returning student

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Thats funny that you say that, becauset there are many male nurses that became nurses BEFORE the nursing shortage. Also, although there no men in my MA program I was the second youngest in my clas, one other girl was 19 I was 20 turned 21 in the program, the rest of the girls/ladies were in their 40s going back for second careers; come first careers since their children were out of the house. I hear people worry about going to back to school to be a nurse too, and no one has claimed a problem with it yet. It anything you have more life experience; which will get you far.

JohnnyD,
you may find the following (lengthy!) thread addressing issues man might face in the medical assisting filed here:

http://pub10.bravenet.com/forum/792761550/show/349660

Please feel free to add your thoughts or feedback to the above discussion!!! Thanks for your contributions to the forum.

Danni R.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Site Manager

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes