This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Was anyone ever hesitant about giving injections before becoming an MA?

I'm not yet in school but am looking into becoming an MA. It all seems like what I would love to do except I wonder about giving injections. I don't even like getting them get alone give them to somebody? Is it something you have to do? Has anyone had the experience of feeling hesitant about wanting to do it and overcame it easily or any other stories? Appreciate any stories. Thank you!

Re: Was anyone ever hesitant about giving injections before becoming an MA?

Giving injections is way different than getting them. I had to get an injection of Tordal and it hurt so bad I cussed; didn't hurt the MA at all! Once you learn how to give injections and get over the initial nervousness of giving your first few you will see it is not really hard at all. I think kids are still a little hard, mostly because you have to give several at one time and the are hard to hold down, I try and find another MA if I canm but I have done up to four by myself.

Thank you for answering. It's good to hear that you don't think it's bad. I can see how giving injections to children would be harder for sure. Thanks for your insight.

I have been teaching MA for over 17 years, and EVERYONE of my students was scared at first to give a shot. I have to think back about 35 years ago when I gave my first one (and yes I was nervous).

It it natural to be nervous. While you may go to work in a clinic that does not require you to give "shots" you will need to learn to give them if you want to complete MA school.

Trust me, after the first couple you will not be scared anymore. I recently had 2 students who ability I doubted to become MAs. One of the students cried at first, but she kept on and graduated with honors, plus she was no longer scared or nervous about injections or venipuncture.

Another story: On the day we were to give intradermal injections (now this is about like removing a splinter with a large sewing needle-which you have probably done or had done) she literally ran around the room, clutching her head between her hands and screaming "Oh, Mrs. Ashmore! Oh, Mrs. Ashmore"

A few weeks later she was telling the new students, "Now just quit your whining, get up there and just give that shot"

They did it. You can too!!!! Keep up the good work.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA (AMT)

Are You Working? yes

Thank you for your story! It is a relief to know I'm not alone in feeling hesitant. I am excited though to learn what I need to learn and do what I need to do. I haven't even started the program yet but look forward to it. Thanks!