This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How do I train to become a patient advocate / case manager ?

My background is in IT. I have several years in the pharmacological industry. The only thing I don't like is that the people who need the heavily funded prescription drugs often don't get them.

I would like to become a patient advocate and use the technology background to help patients get the care and financial assistance they need.

I have attempted to research the best course to proceed: Medical Assistant's course, Second Bachelor's in Nursing or Master's in Hospital Information or Master's in Social Work.

Does anyone have any suggestions? College was a number of years ago, and I will be working full-time while attemding school (hopefully in the evening and/or online.)

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: IT Professional with Pharma background

Are You Still In School? No

Re: How do I train to become a patient advocate / case manager ?

You may want to contact your local hospitals and ask them. In my area, the case managers are RN's, but that may vary from place to place. good luck!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LPN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Re: How do I train to become a patient advocate / case manager ?

RN's and BSN's are being hired here mostly for Case Management positions. Masters in Social Work would be the next choice (if you want to do hospital or school Social Work). A small handful will hire Bachelors Degree Social Workers for Case Management positions.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, AD, CNA, SMA

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No