This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Externship quiestion-

Has anybody had their externship in Pediatrics? If you have, do you have any helpful advice for me?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Student

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Re: Externship quiestion-

You may want to brush up on your normal vital signs for infants and children as they differ quite a bit, as well as immunizations, and injection administration for pediatrics. Good luck!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LPN

Are You Working? yes

Everything Tracy said and know developmental stages. Parents like to ask if what their child is doing is normal for their age or when a certian stage will develop

I had a friend that did her extern at a Pediatrics clinic, and they sent her back to school to refresh on her phleb skills. She was not comfortable in drawing blood within a week of being there, and they basically send her back. She was told that if she does not return to that extern site, that her time she spent their on extern, would not count at all towards her hours to graduate. Everest college, by the way. I am still doing MY extern at an Urgen Care, and have 80 more hours to go. I find that if any M.A is not willing to or able to draw blood, it will most likely determine whether or not they want to hire you, or simply keep you on site for your extern.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: student

Are You Working? extern

I disagree... I don't draw blood. I KNOW how, I do well at it but during my externship I only drew 3X & I NEVER draw @ work. They have a Phleb from a Lab that works in the dr's office.

As far as your question... As a new mom I ask a lot of developmental questions.... is she doing the or that right... language & growth especially. Good luck!

Are You Working? yes