This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Nervous with a question...

I start the clinical portion of my MA program tomorrow!

I am NERVOUS. I am terribly afraid of hurting someone while taking blood, giving injections, or starting an IV (they just introduced the IV therapy portion of the program this year). Any suggestions?

My boyfriend's aunt who finished her MA program this October, suggested that I carry around a memo notepad with while on my externship (which isn't for a while) and when I first start out on a job. Is this a good idea? I don't know how professional it will look to whip out a memo pad for a quick reference.

Also...are all scrubs supposed to fit horribly? A size small is HUGE on me. I've tired on more than one brand, and it's all the same--I feel like I'm drowning in them. Any tips for good fitting scrubs for small people?

Thanks!

Re: Nervous with a question...

How's it going Sybil? I just saw your post. I'm sure you have gotten over your nervousness by now. As far the the memo notebook, I would try not to do it. You're right, it probably wouldn't instill a lot of confidence in patients. You could ask the staff questions, when you aren't with patients and makes notes in it then; but I wouldn't pull it out in front of patients. It probably would make them pretty uneasy. Try to memorize routines meds, routes, dosages and needle gauge.

This site has some good online videos for procedures.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, AD, PNCC, SMA

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No