This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CMAs Tell your stories

I am a student in a two year AS in MA program at Hocking college. I would like to hear stories and experiences from those currently working in the field. I have been feeling a little discouraged because a lot of these bulletins have been bashing on the profession instead of promoting it. I would like to hear some positive things. I chose this profession over RN, LPN, surgical Tech and PTA, because out of all those it seemed to fit me the best. So how about talking about medical assisting on this forum. There can't be that many people who aren't satisfied

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Student Medical Assitant/Pharmacy tech @ walmart

Are You Working? yes

Re: CMAs Tell your stories

I like my job & I am happy with the decisions I have made to get me here.
I would for a GREAT Internist & his practice is growing. He also opened a sleep clinic for people with OSA.

I'm happy!

I was discouraged when I first saw this web site but have since learned that people will always FIND a reason to complain. I kept going & decided to find out for myself. I LOVE what I do & where I work. Hang in there!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

I liked Medical Assisting enough, that I am coming back after many years in another field. The only
problem is that I was a Medical Assistant before it became a requirement to have attended a program. I worked as an Administrative and Clinical Medical Assistant for five and a half years; and I was trained on the job. Since that time the role has expanded however, and I have not been trained in phlebotomy, x-rays or lab work. So after having gotten a couple of other degrees, I am now SMA; with plans to take the Certification exam.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, AD, CNA, SMA

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Currently live in Nevada for the last 2 years, after being in Colorado my whole life before that...Have loved my work, loved my jobs, but boy are things different here..MA's are just not utilized in an office like they are in Colorado. They prefer to hire RN's here, and pay them the salary, thus....wages for MA's are HORRIBLE here. And all you hear on the news is screaming for RNs to come to the hospitals...But you just cant convince the docs...or more importantly, the office managers to make the switch

Are You Working? working with 30 + years experience

SMA@Hocking:

I came across the website for your school and I was very impressed. It looks like a class act school! Are you enjoying your program there?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, AD, PNCC, SMA

Are You Working? No

Well our program director is Kathy Bonewit West, who used to be on the board of curriculum reviewers for the AAMA. She wrote our textbook. Very thorough and tough during checkoffs. Also we have an excellent instructor CMA Dawn Shingler (formerly Bennett) who is excellent. we also are instructed by an RN Marlene Donovan. All are excellent. I love the feeling of knowing I am getting my money's worth as far as CMA AAS goes. Yeah we have the same anatomy classes as nurses, PTAs surg tech. And we have 3 anatomys required! a tough curriculum but worth it if you ask me. yea, you don't need an AAS to be a CMA but having one from Hocking sure does earn you some respect around here, cause docs know we are well educated. I would like to eventually go and get my bachelors at Ohio University here in Athens for Health Administration.

so do I love it...ABSOLUTELY. 4 more quarters after this...I can do it!

Having a good program and enjoying sure make a difference.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, AD, PNCC

Are You Working? No

It took me a Looong time to find a job( 1 FULL year) but the job I'm in now is fine but they kiss the Nurse practicioner's azzes too much and the MAs get nada. I would not want to be here more than 2 years TOPS. no room for advancement or growth- just a MA for the whole time you work there. These 2 ladies that I work with ahve bothe been there 25 years and they were both passed up for a job that came open as an office manager!! They hired some newbie who didn't even have much medical experience!! the both of them are excellent MA and know the clinic like the back of their hand but they both have maxed out all their raises and the both are still MAs-- WOW!! you call that satisfying?? But other than that all I can say is I make enough money to pay my bills and can afford to go out to dinner with my hubby on the weekends!! But I work hard and I also get very little appreciation, the patients are AWFUL rude little ****** who want you to kiss the ground they walk on. sometimes we see 100 patients in a day and it gets tough because we are so short staffed. as far as there can't be many people who arent satisfied... (excuse me a moment) ) OKAY!! I'm back... You can't be so naive .. You are supposed to know the good and the bad about any career path before you invest your time, money and futture!!!!!!! I feel a little sorry for all these people going for 2 years to be an MA 2 years?? To be an MA?? are they serious?? You don't need an AS to be an MA you can learn it all in a 9 month to 1 year program and the rest will be learned on the job. The pay wil be NO DIFFERENT STOP WASTING YOUR TIME PEOPLE!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA--but soon to be a nurse!!

Are You Still In School? nope graduated in 2005

Are You Working? yep in a clinic