This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
friend with criminal record wants to become ma

My friend lives in ca and considered becoming a ma. the problem is she has a criminal record. she told a cop off and stabbed an ex inself defense. She wants a beter life now and wants to start over. will anyone hire her with such a background?

Re: friend with criminal record wants to become ma

Felonies will keep one from getting certified. I know that much. As far as employment, I am not sure. I would not think so. I work in a pharmacy and I wouldn't be had a had any criminal hx.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Student Medical Assitant/Pharmacy tech @ walmart

Are You Working? yes

she should seek an expungement now!

We a classmate who did the whole first year to find she was a no go for externship or future employment based on a 30 year old issue.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: SMA

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

I think that your friend should become a MA. I too had a criminal past but i decided to change my life. Having a back ground will not stop you from being cert. as a MA. Most doctors offices dont do back ground checks so that is where I would look for employment. Also look into medical coding and billing you can make 50-90k with as AS degree www.ahima.com

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Richard Austin MA,CCS, RHIT

Umm..I think Mr. Faith is full of crap...it's just a ploy to get you to look at the website.

Jenny

I would tell your friend to talk to any potential schools first as well as the certifying board for her state. It would be a bummer for her to go all th way through school to find out that she is not certifiable...
And, I am sorry, but you are not going to make that much as a transcriptionist; in fact, you will probably have a hard time even finding one. My mother in law started to do the training for that and was told that a lot of transcriptioning is being out sourced to India where they don't have to pay them much; and with the Internet it is totally possible.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C

Are You Still In School? Nursing School

Are You Working? Doing free doula service

for all of you that seem to think that i am full of it take a look at AHIMA.org this is the association that cert. Health Information Professional(Medical Coders) They Have Many resarch Reports published to support my salary claims. I started out as a convicted felon I became a medical assistant did front office work and medical record and that is how I learned about the HIM Profession. I went to devry University online and recieved my AS degree in Health Information Tech and now I work for a huge company making 80k. I must admit it was not easy but if you friend keeps the faith and dont give up he or she will be fine.

Depends on the county it happened in, not state, on whether it can be expunged. If a person has ever been finger printed it stays with FBI federal info forever.
Even if there is expungmemt, and a person goes thru a background check it will still show up because of this. But it does not mean you can't be certified or a licensed nurse. But the crime comitted will determine this not just the status of an expungement.

Agree with Hearts also. Our local JC just phased out transcription for this reason.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified Clinical Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? Working towards BSN in nursing-graduate dec. 08

Are You Working? ER 5 years

HIM Professionals are not transcription these are two different things all hospitals and doctors offices wil be converting to (EHR) electronic Health Records this is where the demand of HIM Professionals come from.

Mr. Faith is right. Once all hospitals and doctors offices have converted to (EHR) Electronic Health Records the demand for HIM Professionals will instantly increase, probably double or triple.

Therefore, this could be a possible career for those who love the medical field, but don't enjoy the clinical, or lab environment as much as they would enjoy administrative support and management. They can also make good money - I hate to say it - but definitely more than our hard-working, deserving medical assistants. That, we all agree, is a totally different subject.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Wesite Owner/Site Admin

EHR is the same as EMR. We have EMR here in WA. and I truly think if you have a felony, you cannot get a job in the healthcare field. I dont know anyone who has not gotten a job as an M.A without a background check! Even an MAA or MIBC. Mr Faith is full of it.

Re: Re: friend with criminal record wants to become ma

I know for a fact that you get a second chance!!!Now it all depends on what type of felony it is and how long ago it happened. Now if my friend was able to get her CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) License and is now going to school to become an LPN> I ask why not become a Medical Assistant. You have to try> Everybody makes mistakes>>

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

lol first of all, cheers for telling a cop off- I'd give your friend extra points if I was the interviewer

second of all, be glad you don't live in oregon because they'd expect you to throw yourself out of a 4 story window before stabbing someone in self defense.

Many laws are ridiculous and many cops are stupid, background checks hardly mean anything except that you will have to explain yourself since it does look bad on paper.... but it will hopefully weed out the blissfully ignorant co-workers you may not want to work around anyway.

This is assuming no one was actually acting like a hoodrat lol but even so you could always change the tone of the story like the way you turn a weakness into a strength

Your Professional Title/Credentials: SMA

Are You Working? no

I myself have a misdemeanor in domestic violence....bad situation with my ex-husband...he didn't even want to press charges but thanks to Orange County in Orlando, Florida they persue all domestic violence cases.I was arrested and ran through the ringer so to speak...financially, emotionally and otherwise.My case cannot be exponged as a part of my plea to serve time on home confinement.While on home confinement I had my son and changed my life, I wanted a better life for us! I was shot down with alot of career choices. A friend of mine talked me into attending M.A.school of course I asked about my past and they told me a misdemeanor is like a slap on the wrist.I don't know but I am only 2 monthes away from finishing and hope to get a good job...To your friend don't give up you have to have hope that something will come outta getting an education you're bound to be better off than someone who has none! Good Luck!!

Are You Working? no

When I applied for a CMA job at a hospital (and at Planned Parenthood) that was one of the questions on the paperwork that completes a full background check.Keep in mind that they can tell you "you are hired" before they complete a criminal background check. If you disclose what you convicted for and when, you will probably have a chance. Otherwise, It's likely you won't get a second chance. Keep in mind, you can't be denied a job just for an arrest. Convictions, maybe. Lying about it or hoping they won't see it on your criminal background, most likely.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

When potential employers and recruiters review an application for employment and they see a gap of x amount of months, or years, a red flag comes up. I know medical assistants who were arrested and spent time in jail, changed their lives but have a hard time finding employment to earn a living wage and move on.

Finding a job for someone who has legal or criminal issues is difficult. Many companies today run background screens and employers use standardized application forms and resumes to screen people out. If an application did not ask for the information, it is probably not relevant to the position. If it specifically asks, have you ever been convicted of a felony, then the answer should be yes and list the offense(s).

Unless the application asked specifically about convictions, it is okay to avoid bringing it up as a reason for leaving any prior employment. On the application, I would put "personal reasons."

Do not add on application or resume: I went to prison. Rather, if you must, put personal reasons, or "will
discuss at interview" on the application where it asks for reason for leaving any prior employment, and then be upfront and discuss it during the interview.

During the face-to-face interview:

A. Bring it up early
B. Admit to making a mistake
C. Admit to paying the price
D. Discuss how you have learned from this
E. Move on

It may take longer to get an interview then normal, but once you got it, be upfront. Your discussion with the interviewer should be honest and brief! Brief answers should go along the lines that you have made a mistake and paid for it, you have learned a valuable lesson, and would like a chance to prove to yourself and the community that you are a better person than that. That's it! Generalize rather that specify, and provide only what was requested.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin