This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
maric college or cheap community adult school- which is better education?

II live in southern california and am getting fed up with public community colleges. the state is in a big financial deficit and alot of public schools-community colleges and maybe vocational schools run by the state are facing serious financial cutbacks. I thought I would have not much luck if I went to a community adult school because of state cutbacks. but maric college is expensive-but any better?

Re: maric college or cheap community adult school- which is better education?

Key criteria in an MA school should be the following...
Total fees the school charges to receive a diploma in MA. Financial aid will only go so far to cover a private for-profit school. Those of us who went this route have major student loans to pay back.

Is the program accredited by CAAHEP or ABHES? In other words...what certification exam will you be eligible to take?

Is an externship part of the program? What % of students are hired from their externship? This is the best way to get a first job as an MA.

Associates Degree in MA has no weight with employers compared to being certified. The two most respected are the CMA (through AAMA) or the RMA (through AMT.) These have active, local chapters where continuing ed is required.

If you want to do some reseach and get back to us, I'm sure we can give you some guidance so you'll make an educated choice on your school.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Just left after 1 year-interviewing now

evans comunity adult school ma students are eligible to take the national certification exam and have an externship. many of the students get jobs upon finishing even get hired from an externship. Anyone in the los angeles area who might be interested: this is an adult education program through the la unified school district. telephone 213 626 7151 http://www.lausd.k12.ca.us/Evans_CAS/medical.htm
many students who have gone to private schools for ma find this school to be much better.

So now you just have to find out how much money you will owe after graduation at the private school. The public school is looking good on the key elements of a good MA school. Be careful you don't actually register at the private school in order to find out how much you will owe after graduation. They can be very tricky and persuasive.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Just left after 1 year-interviewing now

I think I will forget about the private schhool. probably too much loans! I am low income and would probably qualify for the full amt. but the adult school has no financiaql aid but is still very cheap and I now have the $ to pay. total estimated cost for adult schhol is about $336 total: Registration-$20, class fee $50, student id $6, insurance-$15, books $145, uniform $40, stethoscope $20, cpr course $40