This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question RE: MA School

Hi, I need some advice. Does anyone know anything about the Bradford School (Columbus, Ohio)? I have been accepted into their associates degree Medical assisting program (14 mo. long). Right now I am going to a community college...I am trying to get into their LPN program but I keep failing the entrance exam (NET). I am scheduled to take it again next week. My back-up plan is MA. The college I go to has been so difficult for me to get into their nursing program and their MA program. You have so many requirements and there's a waiting list for the nursing program. What's your advice on Bradford if the LPN program does not work out? Bradford is a vocational school. It's accredited by the AAMA. And you have to take a lot of basic courses like a community college (e.g. english, psychology, etc.). You go to school M-F for 6 hours (more than a community college per week). It is, of course, a lot more expensive than a community college. Is it worth it? What's the difference between the degree and the certificate? If I further my degree beyond the associates degree, i'll probably go for my LPN -- i have all my pre-reqs finished at the community college. So, I guess I wouldn't be wasting my credits at Bradford (since my pre-reqs are finished for the lpn program. Bradfords credits do not transfer). Is the pay of a MA worth it? I want to specilize in pedactrics. The website for Bradford is: http://www.bradfordschoolcolumbus.edu/

In the mean time while I have been accepted in the MA program at Bradford (am scheduled to start in September) I am taking all these entrance exams to try to get into the LPN program. I think it's great to have a back-up plan.

Advice? Thoughts?

Thanks so much!!!!

-Miranda

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Student

Are You Still In School? Yes

Re: Question RE: MA School

Because your career goals seem to be centered around nursing, I would stick with LPN. If you're having trouble passing an entrance exam, why not get tutoring or study guides? If you choose to pursue MA, don't waste your time and money on a degree. Just get a diploma and take the CMA exam. I find MA is not a 'step' toward a nursing license but a detour due to the huge cost of education and low-paying salaries. I worked with an LPN who started at $3.00 more per hour than I did in same office. Best of luck to you!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Just left after 1 year-interviewing now

Whats the difference between the degree and the certificate? Is the degree going to help me in any way with my job or for advancing (e.g. to management)?

Thanks!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Student

Are You Still In School? Yes

A certificate in medical assisting is the highest professional standard this field has to offer. There are several organizations which offer certification. The offices I've interviewd in have only been familiar with the AAMA and AMT. (which offer the CMA and RMA, respectively)

If I had it to do over again, (I'm an RMA through AMT and have my associates degree in MA) I would have declined the associate's degree and stopped at the MA diploma/certification. You can ALWAYS go back to school if you find you want to pursue management. You may also find you want to go back to nursing. Find out if your school offers the CMA exam once your diploma is awarded. I'm just trying to save you some frustration and $$$! The private schools make their fortunes from students who do not research their career/educational choices. Your's truly is an example of what NOT to do!

From what I have researched it costs just about as much to get your certificate in one of those 9 month deals that it does to just get an associates degree. Now I don't know about you, but I think a degree in anything I better than just a certificate. What would your rather see on someone's resume? Think about getting your money's worth. Besides, in good schools your credits will transfer to universities, or get generals out of the way if you are pursue nursing, as so many here seem to want.

In my case, the courses needed to complete my degree cost thousands more and are not transferrable anywhere. Also, I don't 'use' any info apart from the diploma courses in the field. Most clinics have a billing dept., transcription dept., claims processors, etc. Medical assistants are generally doing clinical tasks and clerical work. ie, medical records, scheduling, collecting fees. I have also found that electronic medical records (EMR) makes many of the office skills courses obsolete. Has anyone used a Pegboard system for accounts receivable? HOw about a ledger system? I think there is alot of fluff added to a medical assistant degree. That time could be used in learning how to navigate through an EMR. 3 out of 4 offices I interviewed with have converted to EMR. Employers are not interested in a degree. They want to know if you are certified.

Its going to cost you a lot more to get your degree than a certificate. at my job when I got my degree they did not pay me a penny more....

Does anyone know any other career where a degree does NOT mean more money? My brother got a certificate in computer programming. If he went on to his degree, it would mean more money, responsibility, etc. Not in medical assisting.

I've been told that those whom have an associates degree in Medical assisting is not a waste of time simply because the associates degree includes training in Business and Management -- which can help your career and make you more valueable. In example, it will help you with promotions -- becoming a clincial supervisor, medical office manager, medical assistant instructor...all these positions prefer many years of experience or training. With your associates you already have the training if you ever want to pursue management, instructing or simply a new career...like in Business. I believe it will help you not only in the medical office but at a place like Anthem if you wanted to just work in medical business. These are just my thoughts...so those who have an associates degree look at it that way....it wasn't a waste of time. And if you received your degree at a college you can always go back for your bachelor's degree or another degree and have some of those courses already out of the way. But yes, you are right the most important thing is land a MA position is the certification. So, if management or any other promotion such as that is not your thing...the certificate is sufficient.

Hope this helps. As for schools...if you can go to a community college and not a tech school because your credits will transfer. Most vocational schools credits will be transfer or even be accepted into a college or university. Bradford's credits won't transfer but I have heard good things about their school from employers. My advice would be to go for the associates because of the advancement oppportunities and if you no longer want to work in medical you have that business training to fall back on.