This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Can anyone who is an Office Manager help me?

I am in a Medical Assisting Administrative class and I have been asked to interview an Office Manager and I have been very ill for the past week and have not been able to get to a Dr. office to do so. I was wondering if there were any Office Managers, preferably from California but I welcome anyone's responses, who would answer some questions for me? I'd really appreciate it.

1) What type of office do you work for? What is the position you hold?

2) Which three of these traits do you find most desirable in a Medical Assistant? Why?

accurate adapt appearance attitude confidential cooperate courteous dependable empathy enthusiasm flexible honesty initiative innate intelligence monotone patience perceive perseverance personality posture punctuality reliable respectful self-control tact trait

3) What are some of the problems you run across when working with medical assistants?

4) Is there anything else you would like to say?

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Re: Can anyone who is an Office Manager help me?

I guess since you haven't gotten any responses, I will try to answer your questions.

1)I have been an Office Manager in the past for a Family Practice Clinic (I am not in California).

2) The three traits on the list that I find most desirable in a Medical Assistant are *attitude, *dependable and *respectful.

I actually consider professionalism very important, but that wasn't on your list. When I say dependable, it includes professionalism; dependable and professional in their skills and an ethical committment to put patients needs first. Respectful means to all staff and patients.

In the office that I managed I had problems with the medical assistant and the nurse being none of the above. I had a particular situation, in which an adult son called the office on behalf of his mother. The administrative medical assistant told the nurse that he wanted to bring his mother in and what her symptoms were. Because it was right before lunch, the nurse told her to tell the son that he couldn't bring her in. I overheard the conversation and told the administrative medical assistant to tell him to bring her right in; because I knew she had a high blood pressure, and was in congestive heart failure! It didn't help that the doctor did not back up my authority; it just allowed them to be disrespectful and pretty much do what they wanted. I didn't stay there very long because I felt it was an impossible situation. This may be more than you wanted to know, but I hope I answered your questions.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, AD, PNCC, SMA

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No