This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Medical Assistant to LPN

Just a question for whomever chooses to read this, I hope you can help! Someone had told me that Medical Assistants can go to school to be an LPN and not have to pay for it! I thought it sounded crazy, but apparently this program/school is somewhere out there. I have been working as a CMA for almost 2 years now, but want to advance and maybe earn a few extra bucks on the way. I have been turned off by the thought of going back to school strictly due to the thought of paying off my already endless amounts of loans. I live in MN so maybe someone in MN could help me out or know about this? If not, anyone even if you live in Austrailia....pleaseeee help me out!!

Thanks!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Re: Medical Assistant to LPN

I have never heard of such a thing. But I do know that there are some hospitals that will pay for your school if you sign a contract to work for them for a set # of years after you graduate. I am in california and they have a program that will pay for your nursing school if you agree to work in rural nursing when you graduate. you should call the colleges in your area and find out what it out there. there is so much money out there for students and they do not just stick up fliers telling every one about it; you got to do the research yourself; start at a JC and talk to an advisor.

You can only go to school to become an LPN and not have to pay if you qualify for a full grant. I don't think there is any school that allows MAs the ability to not have to pay anything,just because they are an MA. It would be nice though if such a program existed.

You can hear a lot of rumors in this field. I had a classmate insist that "somebody told her" that you can take a certifying test to become an MA on a computer- at home. This same 'somebody' said she was able to look up the answers as she went along. I never once bought it.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Thanks for the advice and I am indeed going to do some research!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Illy,

I was a medical assistant for 8 years prior to going to school for lpn, and yes I went to school for free.
Here in the state of Georgia we have the "Hope Grant" which pays for diploma level programs like practical nursing, medical assisting, culianary arts, marketing and a host of other programs. You have to be a resident of Georgia and have lived in the state for at least one year, and you have to attend one of the state owned technical colleges.
http://www.georgiatechnicalcolleges.org/college_campuses.php

You have to apply to get into the program. not everyone is accepted. You have to take a nurse entrance test and then get selected. Each school usually picks around 35 students a year.

I hope this info helps.
Lorianne

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LPN

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Here in Detroit, almost all of the major hospitals will pay for your schooling if you decide you want to go into Nursing.