This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Feel in trouble;not getting all i should from school

As of yesterday it's been a year since I started school. I've been through 9 teachers, and each time they are just thrown into the classroom w/ no knowledge of what we're working on. In June I start my externship & when i applied to school, I was told they have over 20 places for us to do our externship. Now all of a sudden they have none. It is up to the students to find a place. When I call to inquire all of the places tell me they don't deal w/ the students only the school directly, so how do I find a place when my school won't help. When i tell the school director i'm told to keep looking. Feeling like i'm wasting my time and money. Starting to get depressed, need some encouraging words. PLEASE HELP ME.!.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: PMA:professional medical assistant

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? not in the medical field yet

Re: Feel in trouble;not getting all i should from school

Try calling around to local offices, or even to your own doctor and see if they would allow you to extern. I really hope you can find someplace...

If an externship is part of your program, you paid for it and the school has to provide it. Tell your school that if they don't provide you with an externship, you will be contacting the board of education (in your state)

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? NO

Are You Working? Yes

Rena,

That was exactly what I was going to say. If the program is accredited, they HAVE to offer an externship. If you have the school catalog from when you started, it should state their policy in there about extenships; and they should be held to that.

If you want to continue looking for a place while you are trying to hold them accountable, you might try your State Medical Society. You've come too far to give up now....fight!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, AD, PNCC, SMA

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No