This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Horrible teachers, not learning a thing...

I'm almost ready to drop out of school.

I am learning NOTHING, and this is my clinical portion of the MA program.

I have two teachers for the clinical class; one for lecture and one for lab (where we're supposed to perform what we have learned in class).

My lab teacher is a seasoned RN, and she has a lot of stories, but WE ARE NOT PRACTICING ENOUGH. So far, I've only autoclaved and wrapped instruments ONCE, taken vitals FOUR TIMES, positioned someone ONCE, weighed and measured someone ONCE, and did a visual accuity tested ONCE.

She focuses way, way, way too much on Med Math (two hours on it at a time), and will spend at least an hour of our two hour classes talking about nothing related to what we have learned in lecture.

We have tried talking to our lecture teacher, but all she can say is "It's not my place to tell her how to teach, and you guys should try talking to her."

We did try talking to her, but nothing has changed.

I don't know what to do =( I am so upset. I don't want to get out to externship and be an idiot because I was taught properly.

Re: Horrible teachers, not learning a thing...

Do you have a syllabus that tells what you will be doing in her classes. If so, maybe ask her if you will be able to cover everything in the alotted time?

Just because someone is a teacher, doensn't necessarily mean that they know how to stick to a curriculum.

If you still don't see a change after a couple of days, several of you should go to the Director.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, AD, PNCC, SMA

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Well, there has been some sort of a resolution as of today. Most of us in the clinical class are also in the transcription class, and our lecture teacher for transcription is the same as our lecture teacher for clinical. We all spoke out today as to how we're not learning anything, and she'd decided that she's going to offer a supplementry lab every Friday for us, so whoever wants some more practice, can get it. A friend of mine and myself are going down on Monday to speak to the Associate Dean, who is also the Director of the program. We are, of course, going to speak in a positive light about our lab instructor, but we're going to make it clear we're not practicing skills enough.

Thank you =)

Your welcome. I'm glad its going to work out.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, AD, PNCC, SMA

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No