This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
having a hard time with veinipunctures!!!!

recently finished class getting ready for externship on sat..veinipunctures aren't strong as I want them to be..i have a hard time"feeling" for the vein sometimes. any way i can practice at home? thanks

Your Professional Title/Credentials: ma(externship)

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no(externship)

Re: having a hard time with veinipunctures!!!!

can anyone help..please..should i buy one of those practice arms?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: student/externship

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Re: having a hard time with veinipunctures!!!!

No. Take a large towel,like a beach one,and roll it up. GET SOME EQUIPMENT FROM YOUR CLASS. That was the first thing handed out in my phlebotomy class,first a tourniquet so we could practice tying it,then we all got 5 tubes of different colors,one needle and one needle holder. We were adults so we were trusted not be practicing on family members. Practice over and over again on the towel,which can be lumpy. Have a check list of everything to do,step by step (which I am assuming was not handed out in class). You start out by introducing yourself,saying you are from the lab and need to get some blood,and ask for 2 forms of ID. Get use to saying a speech and feeling for little bumps. Don't always LOOK for veins,look away or close your eyes. If you have good ones,palpate them constantly,or family members,to train your finger to get use to feeling for them.

Keep in mind that drawing blood is not always taught right in medical assisting programs. You should be allowed to go in to your lab all the time to practice.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/PBT