This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Salary Survey - Responses Please

I am trying to find out if doctors are actually paying the "average" salaries according to the online Salary Surveys like Salary.com. Please post your city and state; and the salaries that are being paid in your area; that you know of first hand, either through ads or friends, etc. Thanks.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, AD, PNCC

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Re: Salary Survey - Responses Please

I do not want to put over the internet where I live but I can tell you what I get paid is not what salary wizard says I would be paid, I get less......

heartsopenwide:

Can you tell me how much less?

Are You Working? No

I can tell you the range for experienced CMA's in my area is $13-$17 plus benefits.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? NO

Are You Working? Yes

I live in Maryland and make $18/hr. This is above average in this area. Average is like $14/hr

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA, CNA

Are You Still In School? YEs

Are You Working? Yes

I live in IL work as a medical assistant but am certified as a CNA. I barely make 12.00 an hour. Looking for a new job and want to know what I should be getting paid. 7 years of experience

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA/PCT

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Thank you to everyone who responded. Based on the info you gave, my survey of printed ads in my area (large WI city), and Salary.com, it seems that the average salaries that Salary.com lists are pretty close. They are within approximately .08-.20/hr., I think. It doesn't specify the physician's specialty, MA's years of experience or Certified vs. Uncertified; so there still could be room for negotiation, depending on the situation. I definitely think it's a good tool to use for salary negotiations; especially for MA's who need to raise salaries in some places. I've also read that employers use it.

Boodog:

Maybe you should check it for your area; and if you are underpaid, try to negotiate a raise where you are; rather than changing jobs? Just a thought.

Are You Working? No

Before taxes I make $17,280 if I work 40hr/week

salary wizard show a base pay for my area:
10th%:$19,329
25th%:$20,984
75th%:$24,876
90th%: $26,765

heartsopenwide:

That's terrible that you are not even being paid the minimum. The salary ranges that you posted are lower than most other areas; but your area may also have a lower cost of living. However, I'm sure you do the same work as everyone else; therefore deserve to be paid accordingly.

I believe that the answer for Medical Assistants to be paid better wages, is to unionize. RN's belong to the AFL-CIO, why not MAs?

We shouldn't have to jump ship or change careers just to make a fair wage.

What does everyone thing about this???

Are You Working? No

I didn't realize that the AAMA has a really excellent salary survey for Medical Assistant Practitioners; that was done in 2004. It breaks down salary, benefits and duties, by CMA vs. non-CMA; years of experience, Full-time vs. part-time; area of the country; type of practice. Yearly annual increases are estimated at 5%. It can be found at:

http://www.aama-ntl.org/resources/library/SalSurvey_0804.pdf

Are You Working? No

The cost of living is not that great where I live; the AVERAGE nothing fancy home where I live is about 300,000

There is something drastically wrong with the economy in your area if that is an average house; and you are earning so little.

Are You Working? No

Out of the entire state of California we have the second highest poverty rates....yet people from the big cities started moving here about 8 years ago and jacked up our housing. It cost $40,000 just to get a building permit in my town....

For my area in Michigan:

25% percentile: $28,057
Median: $30,488
75% percentile: $33,261

I live in a really dinky town in CT.We have 2 DR.s here and im at 14.00/hr I have 1 yr exp.

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Well, it seems like some areas pay pretty good and others, not even close to a living wage. It sure is discouraging. You would think that any type of patient care, involving human beings would be more highly valued. I would like to think that MA's could effect the necessary changes to make the situation better. Unfortunately, there isn't much mobilization at this point to make a much of a difference in the immediate future. Because I need to feed my family like everyone else, I now understand why people make the decision to go on to nursing, rather than stay and fight.

I hate to say it, but I may be one of them. I only need nine classes to get my LPN, because of my other degrees; I think it would be foolish not to do it. But, I also wish that LPN's were able to work in more areas, like they use to; instead of being so limited.

If I decide to go that route, I hope that I can still be involved in making changes for the MA Profession; because I do believe in it. I know there are other MA's on here who have gone the nursing route, and still support the Profession.

Are You Working? No

My sister just graduated from from RN school last spring and her salary $34.85/hr

I have been a CMA for 7 years my salary $16.85/hr!!!!!!!!

She works 3 days a week and has 4 straight days off. Her overtime rate is $60.00/hr!!!!

We need to get organized and regulated. It is sickening the difference between RN and CMA pay, ridicules!!!!!!!! We both have AS degrees.

I worked for 17 years as a CMA/ER Tech in Alaska. I really enjoyed my job and was making good money around $55.000 a year including overtime. Two years ago we moved to Idaho. In an Urgent Care that is run by CMA's I went down to $23.000 a year (with overtime!).I know money isn't everything, but I was insulted by the pay vs. responsibility ratio.Plus I was hard to swallow when your standard of living goes down so much when you are in your mid fourties. So I took some action. I already had an AS with my Medical Assisting so some classes transfered over to an AS in Respiratory Therapy. I will be finished in two months, and I already have a job at the hospital where I am doing my clinicals. Starting pay $28! My heart will always be in Medical Assisting especially in an ER/Urgent Care setting. I will keep my CMA current and also keep on fighting for some kind of regulation for this profession.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: ER Tech,CMA,RT Student

Are You Working? Yes