This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
STRESSFULL INTERSHIP-PLS HELP ME

I started my internship 2 weeks ago.I am having a terrible time with the staff. There are 2 MA'sand 2 LPN's and an office manager. I cannot stress enough
the rudeness of this office.My first few days I was told just to follow an LPN and observe.When I asked a question she told me,"just keep your ears open and your mouth shut".When I tried to speak with the office manager she informed me she hates having students in her office and told me to "get over it".
The only thing I am doing at this point is rooming patients.A pharm. rep brought lunch in one day and I was told I couldn't eat (by the om) because I am not staff!!! I have been friendly and willing to do ANY work. Our instructors in school warned us some offices
would be difficult but this is over the top. I did speak to my instructor about this and she would like to speak to the om. I think this might make it worse.
I have 3 more months to go in internship and I think
it would be best if I tried to get in another office.
Why would a staff treat someone like this? When I am
a CMA and have a student I will want them to be the best possible MA because it will reflect on me in the long run.Has anyone had this problem??? I am sick to my stomach when I think about Monday Morning!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: almost cma

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? intern

Re: STRESSFULL INTERSHIP-PLS HELP ME

That is over the top...the part about not letting you eat because you are not staff, that is just BS; they are not paying a CENT for food from drug reps; what are they afraid of? not enought food for the fat cows if they share with the measly student? Their behavior all around is uncalled for; there should not be any reason for you NOT to ask questions, you are learning. If the office manager does not like students then why the he-double hokcy sticks did she allow a student in her office? I suggest that you get a different office and make sure that this office is not use by your school in the future..EVER! I have always been nice to my students as a CMA, not all CMAs that I have worked with have been, but they allow us to choose if we want students and those that do not like students dont take them!!!!! (somthing that the entire office you are at should do!)

I had a lousy externship also. The OM didn't want me there because of the BAD REPUTATION THE SCHOOL HAD,not to mention past bad experiences she had had with students from there. That should have told me right there and then the "easy" time I would have trying to find a job in this county. I was lucky enough to be put with an understanding RN,and could have eaten with the staff(but didn't),but I had to park far away in an abandoned parking lot,while the lab's phlebotomy students didn't. I also got to hear the OM putting down students from that school all the time.
Someone from the school was supposed to come and observe but never did. You need to have someone do that from your school. Not to mention INSIST that you be placed somewhere else.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Thanks so much for the feedback!I will let you know what happens. I appreciate you both for taking the time to respond. I feel like I have MA friends here

Are You Working? intern

Hang in there, I am not at externship yet but I work at a place that hasn't been pleasant to me and some other employees, until I spoke u in a meeting. Things seem to be getting better, then again I only work three dyas a week bc I am a full time student taking 17 Credits.

Sound like something you should bring up with your teacher@ my school if you were having serious problems with your externship site then you would be moved to another site, don't let them ruin yuor experience.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA--but soon to be a nurse!!

Are You Still In School? nope graduated in 2005

Are You Working? yep in a clinic

YEA! I am being moved to a new site. I will be in the ER/Clinic at a hospital.I have orientation tommorrow.
I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for your posts!

Are You Working? intern

what state do you live in??

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

When I first started my internship it was at a doctors office that did cardiology (hope thats spelled right but if not sry). When i got there they had me do filing no problem there but then she comes back in and shes like don,t you know your alaphabet because it was taking me a while to do it becuase the office manger was having me pull charts for 20 patients and then she proceeds to get nasty with me so i decided to call my schooland tell them it wanst working out and the school called the site and the office manger was like come into my office and i was like ok once we got into the office she was like maby medical assisting isnt for you and that im willing to offer you a job as a cleaning persion for the office so made me angry because I didnt go to school for 2 years to get offerd a jantors job. SO I stopped going to that site and finshed my internship at a hosptial and that was a great experiance. Shelly I hope it gets better for you. if i was in an office wher the office manger said that she doesn't like studnets id be like then why did you agree to have studetns intern here. Wow that is rude and your there unpaid doing the very best you can I would think the office would let you eat the food to show you gradatude but i guess some offices are just down right rude. Let me know how it went when your teacher spoke to the office manger.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? Just Graduated in Feb 08.

Are You Working? Looking for work.

Shelley I'm so sorry for you. The place I just quit loved having students/interns. We complained when we didn't have any. We used to give them the tour of the facility, let them shadow all the MAs and nurses, let them watch and assist some procedures, and I always went out of my way to let them feel comfortable in our facility. Usually if we had a drug rep lunch, I would always let the students take lunch first. We would also get high school students that would go to different places to see if a certain career was for them. I can only imagine the stories they told when they went back to school about what we would show them! Hang in there Shelley!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA/ ER Tech

Are You Still In School? yes for nursing

Are You Working? yes

Shelley, Hi just wondering how things are going for you. I just finished a very stressful externship as well. I hung in there after getting screamed at by the RN in charge and ended up getting a bad review after busting my butt for 160 hrs for asking too many questions! Wasn't I suppose to ask questions? Anyway not even sure I have the confidence to keep going at this point.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: ma

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I love my intership. I work in the ER/clinic. I have been exposed to so much.A few of the LPNs have been a little surprised by what an MA can do. But my supervisor has been awesome!120 hours to go!!!

Are You Working? intern