This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
YEAAAAA FOR ME!!!! SUCH a RELIEF TO BE MOVING ON

Hey everybody I just had to post and let everyone know that I passed my nursing school entrance exam.. I am so psyched.. no more petty jobs as a medical assistant it's time to make some real money!!!! The clinic I work at is fine but It's so difficult to find a job a cma where you are paid a decent wage and are given the respect you deserve!!! I am too pumped for words.... I very much regret the waste of one full year of my life and time and I am so glad that I can now move on in my career!! To all of you who are struggling to find a job, I feel your pain. I finally landed the job I have now after..(get this) 30+ INTERVIEWS and 1 full year of trying. It wasn't that I was doing bad in my interviews almost every job I interviewd at said that they hired someone with a little more experience but that I was number 2 on the list and if the person didn't work out then blah, blah,blah. To all you students I just want to let it be said that you should really think HARD about going into this career path lest you end up like so many others who went before you only to have several thousand dollars worth of loans to pay back and no job to speak of.I graduated with 15 people back in 2005 to THIS DAY 4 of these girls have a job as a medical assistant the other ones have various other jobs or are back in school, and not for lack of trying!!! PITIFUL!!! These MA that will sit on their throne and tell you that they "love being and MA" and "have never had trouble finding a job" or "are making more than a nurse" are most certainly the EXCEPTION and not the rule. If you look on other sites there is a national problem with the medical assisting field. Too many offices want you to have 2 years of experience and for what to answer the phone, schedule appointments and deal with a doctor that has a type AA personality and is a borderline psychopath?? All I do all day is register patients when I'm at the front desk, or room patients when I'm in the back or check patients out and collect money when I'm at checkout-- do you really need 2 years experience to do that?? PUHLEEZE!! SO SORRY for those of you just entering this field you'll learn soon enough-- and for those of you who have been ma's since 1967 please don't patronize nor sweep under the rug the obvious issues with this field because you may have had it easier than most. As for me.. I can't wait for my scheduled interview with the nursing school coordinator class starts august 4th and I am soo stoked.. it's time for me to register with allnurses.com!!!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA--but soon to be a nurse!!

Are You Still In School? nope graduated in 2005

Are You Working? yep in a clinic

Re: YEAAAAA FOR ME!!!! SUCH a RELIEF TO BE MOVING ON

Congrats on moving forward with your education, but I beg to differ that MA school was a waste. You will have patient care experience to bring into the nursing program which will definately help you. It's very hard as I'm sure you know to first put your hands on a patient. You will have VS under your belt and bedside manner.
Education is never a waste!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

its hard for me not to be disgruntled about being an CMA and going back to nursing school too. However, your education was not a waste! I am half way thought a BSN program and have found that my experience as an MA (athough minimal compaired to what you have to know and learn as a nurse) has helped me in many ways. I believe that I am much more comfortable around clients than my fellow students that were not in healthcare before school. Some of the drugs are easier to learn, simply because I recognize the names and have an extra intrest since I never truley understood how they worked while I was an MA (your REALLY get into in nursing school). Also, I have a respect for unlicenced medical personel that I think many nurses do not have, since I was once one myself as a CMA. Good luck with nursing school, its really hard, I never realized just how MA school was until I got to nursing school, but it definatley helped to have gone.

Congratulations Lovelie!

To all of you MA's turned/ing nurses; I am trying to figure out how to do it. Have you worked while in school, 3rd shift? Have kids? I'm trying to go back to finish my nursing degree; but having a hard time figuring out how to make it work; and feeling very frustrated. If you worked/ing doing what? Any help would be appreciated. It's really sad that caring, hard-working MA's are not treated better; and can't earn a decent living in patient care. I feel like I'm between a rock and a bigger rock. Any help would be appreciated.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, AD, PNCC

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

I'm married with 2 kids and it took me 4 1/2 years part time to get my RN. Mome of my MA credits transferred. I worked at an urgent care clinic nights and weekends part time throughout school. I also tutored. I got all the classes out of the way that I could before clinicals because that is extremely time consuming with paperwork. Luckily for me, the waiting list went in my favor because when I started clinicals( the actual nursing program) both of my kids were in school so child care expenses were low. It can be done- good luck!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes