This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Why is it so hard for schools to take my credits

Here's my dillema. I just finished school a couple months ago and i want to go for my RN. But alot of schools wont take my credits. Some of Them tell me i need to be a lpn for 2 years before i can enter nursing school. Others are telling me i need 30 or 40 credits before i can enter school but my school was in clock hour and i need to take a alot of prerequisite courses. I dont understand how this can be. I was under the impressing that as a medical assistant i can enter nursing more easily. I dont what to do

Your Professional Title/Credentials: HHA, CNA, MA

Are You Still In School? NO

Are You Working? NO

Re: Why is it so hard for schools to take my credits

Your credits will not transfer because more than likely they are not consitered college courses; even if taken at a KC they have a higher course # which places them in a remedial or not transferable section. If a school you apply to uses merit they may give points for being a medical assistant with hands on patient care for X amount of time. I got credit for being a CMA for the four years I worked before applying to nursing school. The time spent in your MA program does not count, you have to get a job and work as a REAL medical assistant before they will count it as medical experience.

I ment even if taken by a JC (not KC)

so basically i need to work as a MA before i can get college credits but i want to start nursing school next spring and i want to go to florida for school. I don't know if florida does things different. Part of me wish i would just did the LPN Program

Are You Working? NO

You can work as an MA while taking your pre-reqs. That takes a good year if you do it full time or 2 years if you do it part time. Plus most nursing programs have waiting lists that are several years out (unless you go to a school that goes by merit and then they are looking at your grades...your pretty much need all As and very few Bs and NO Cs) Not to sound like a sour-puss but there is no way you can finish all the pre-reqs by next spring to apply, let alone if you apply to a nursing program that does a lotto system. Most commonly pre-reqs include: Basic Biology, Micro Biology, Anatomy, Physiology, Chemistry (organic and inorganic, public speaking and statistics; once in the program everyone had to have nutritian, human development and into psych complete by the first year...at least this is what my school required for the BSN program I am in. You will for sure have to take Micro, anatomy, Physiology,some math class (or test into a level) and possibly some chemistry depeding on the school.

Working as an MA will not get you CREDITS....it can get you points towards getting into the program if it goes by merit. Here is an example from my school:

I. Prerequisite GPA (55 points possible)
GPA of 3.70 or higher
55 points

GPA of 3.30 to 3.69
45 points

GPA of 3.00 to 3.29
35 points

GPA of 2.70 to 2.99
25 points

GPA of 2.50 to 2.69
15 points

II. Overall GPA (15 points possible)
GPA of 3.70 or higher
15 points

GPA of 3.30 to 3.69
12 points

GPA of 3.00 to 3.29
9 points

GPA of 2.70 to 2.99
6 points

GPA of 2.50 to 2.69
3 points

III. TEAS scores- "Percentile Rank - Program" (20 points possible)

75 or greater
20 points

55-74
15 points

40-54
10 points

16-39
5 points

15 or less 0 points

IV. Health Related Experience (5 points possible)

Paid employment or volunteer experience in a health care setting providing direct patient interaction:

Fill out the Health Care Experience form and attach documentation by employer or volunteer coordinator, on letterhead, describing the activities performed.

1-2 points
30-60 hours of work experience with no certification or special training, or volunteer experience

3-4 points
Training or certification of 150 hours or less (e.g. CNA, EMT, HHA, Phlebotomist ) and no work experience; or 60-150 hours of work experience with or without certification or special training, or volunteer experience

5 points
Training or certification of greater than 150 hours (e.g. LVN, Psych Tech, Paramedic) or greater than 150 hours of work experience with or without certification or special training, or volunteer experience

V. Second Language Proficiency (5 points possible)

Well now i know, i wish someone told me that before. I already knew That there are waiting list for nursing schools what i didn't was that it would be so hard and time consuming. I guess i have be up to doing so much work. But im so much trouble finding a job as a MA that going to school for the prerequites are going to be hard. Im having trouble paying my school the $400 in school payments i owe now. I had a job already that pays good, this will be easier. Im hoping moving to florida will benefit me more with problem

Are You Working? NO