This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Schools giving the AAMA examination?

What I was taught, and what I've learned from the AAMA is that you must sign up for the examination, must be qualified to take it, then take it at a specified testing site.

I'm currently have a debate with a woman online. She states that she took the AAMA test at school (her intructors gave it to her), and that it's valid because her school is accredited.

The test in only offered twice a year, correct? And you can only take it at which ever site you sign up for, right? I have NEVER heard of a school giving the exam.

Re: Schools giving the AAMA examination?

I have been watching that "debate" on that forum (Indeed.com) and I tried to point out how anybody CAN proctor a certifying exam at an accredited school if the school makes arrangements with the agency,such at AAMA or AMT. Many schools though are not even aware that it is a possibilty,which could explain why you have never heard of it. At my own school,I was the one who found out for my teacher,she had no idea that it could be done. Since she was a member of AMT,she was able to proctor the RMA exam.

The other person on that forum is getting out of hand though, with her rudeness.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA and RPT

I'm no longer going to reply to her, since she started with the name calling. When I called the AAMA, the woman I spoke with told me it's only valid if the school is the testing center, so yeah...maybe she didn't know what she was talking about.

*throws hands up in air*

I know through the AMT, you can pretty much take the test any day of the year, though.

My test is in June. I just found out, two of our instructors are the proctors and are "giving" our test.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: SMA

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

I was rereading this thread and realized that I hadn't clarified my reply. The two instructors are acting as the proctors not as instructors that day, it is occurring at the school, but the AAMA is the governing body not the school. The AAMA is the one "giving the test".

Your Professional Title/Credentials: SMA

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no