This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Employment

I have graduated and passed the national exams. I am a certified RMA. live in southern New Jersey( Phila., Pa. ). I cannot find a position in the Phila area, that does not require 1 to 3 years of field experience. A number of classmates are also in this predicament.
How does someone accuire the experience? I have applied at physicians offices, hospitals, nursing homes, staffing services, etc. Does someone have an answer? I would certainly as well as many more I assume be extremely grateful for any positive information.

Thankyou,
Me

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? No

Re: Employment

Apply anyway. Yes, they want 1-3 years of experience. What they don't say is, "or appropriate education." If they will hire off the street they will hire someone with an education over the street people.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: SMA

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

The next time you are told you are not experienced enough, ask them if they ever hire in students who just did their externship there. If the answer is yes,then you might want to point out how those students had the same amount of experience that you have.

Do an online search for "Onsite Health Screenings". These are companies that go around and perform health screening programs at corporations,and will hire any kind of medical professional to staff them. It's only PRN work and mostly seasonal,but it looks good on your resume.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA and RPT

Are You Working? Now and then

Apply anyways, a lot of people but that but if they cant get some one with experience then they may hier someone without. Point out that you are certifed. Nurses get hiered right out of school.

remember they hire an extern for FREE KNOWING that its only a training thig for a pIAD job they want skills allready
i work for 7:50 hr as na M-A it sucks

yes i agree, apply every where. Some places ask for a certain amount of experience but alot of times when time passes and they cant find anybody, they might consider you. Also try to find places that say no experience necessary or will train. They are hard to find but they are out there. You have to read in between the lines for job ads. Some job ads are not coming right out and asking for a MA. Some might say patient care associate or medical office assistant. These places often hire Ma's. Another good tip is to apply to employment agencies. These agencies often take in experienced Ma's and give them temp work. Then they get references form the temp jobs to get you perm work. Another source is your school. Most schools have job placement but you have be persistant. You have to remember they alot of people to place. If you call everyday and harass them litterly they will remember you the next time a position comes up. You can also talk to people that graduated from your school and are working. Give them your number and tell you are lookinh for a job. And lasy but not least TELL EVERYONE YOUR A NEW MA. The babysitter, supermarket clerk everyone. Especially your own doctors. Let them you just graduated and if their dont have anything open then ask if they have any doctor friends that has any thing. This is alot but doing all this gives you a better chance of getting the position you want

Your Professional Title/Credentials: HHA, CNA, MA

Are You Still In School? NO

Are You Working? NO