This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is there a possibility.....

...that there just may be more medical assistants than there are available jobs? With more and more programs opening up,and the hundreds there already are,could the odds actually be very high that more and more grads will NEVER find any work,just based on the availability of jobs?

What is everyone's thoughts on this? Even if you found a job,surely you know of classmates who never did,and it surprised you that some of them didn't.

Are You Working? Nope

Re: Is there a possibility.....

I believe so. Those fly-by-night schools can pop MAs every month.

Our instructors have tracked each graduate for a year or to their first job. Only one graduate from last year doesn't have an MA position due to an injury.

In our area there is a need for the time being. At my back office externship they requested 10 students with the hope of placing 6, the school is only able to provide 4. What do you suppose they will do to fill the other 2 positions?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: SMA

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Just because fly by night schools are popping MAs out by the droves does not mean that these people will be able to keep jobs, passing MA school and being a competent MA are not one in the same....personaly I think teh certification board should become more strict and only allow accreited colleges and vocational schools to allow their graduates sit for the exams. Maybe there would be more respect for medical assistants then.

Heartsopenwide, I agree with you. I am not yet a student. But I have have applied at my local community college which is accredited through the CAAHEP. I think this would help with salaries if everyone had to attend a more accredited school.

Just my .02

Are You Still In School? Have not started yet

Are You Working? no

I agree entirely with you, heartsopenwide. I think those schools are a big reason why so many places want potential employees to have 2+ years of experience.

Just my opinion, though...

I'm not sure the original question is being answered,that being,are there enough MA positions to go around?
My opinion-no. Let's say one county alone has 6 medical assisting programs(around here I can think of 8 within a 30 mile radius). Exclude the community college program because their classes graduate once a year. The rest all have classes starting every few months,which adds to their appeal. So that could be 3 graduating classes a year,at just one school (mine did it). Let's say the average class has 10 students who make it all the way through. That's 30 a year. 5 schools make over 100 medical assisting students who all want to work close to where they live,which is only natural. Do over 100 MA jobs appear in their papers? Chances are,no and an even bigger chance is that at first they do not know to look elsewhere besides online. In this area the same jobs show up online (hardly any are in the papers) and even then they are too far away. Some schools are not going to help you and you are going to feel screwed.

Are You Working? No

Not everyone is that is in MA school is going to graduate or move on to being an actual MA. School and the real world are two different things. People that are truly cut out for the MA profession will find jobs

Exactly. So many that just barely passed each course and are even allowed to graduate won't be finding jobs for what they were trained for,based on the fact that they are not cut out for the profession. But they still have to pay for it for several years since there is no prerequisite screening for an MA program.

But suppose you still have a large number of competent grads who are all trying to get the same jobs that come up. ARE there enough of them?

Are You Working? No

There are in my area. I do not think that my area is the exception. You have to apply for all offices,
not just the onces that put adds in the paper. I know that the place that I worked at did not advertise. Also your resume has to been shining. If you have a bad resume (spelling, poor format ect) they probably will not even finish looking at it but throw it away. Here is a copy of my cover letter followed by my resume, I XXX out any ID'ing information (sorry format messed up from cut and paste to internet):

Dear Office Manager:

I am happy to have this opportunity to apply for the position of Medical Assistant with your practice. Seeing that I am available during my summer break from school, I thought I might be of some help.
I am currently a California Certified Medical Assistant. I graduated with honors, June first of two thousand and two from College of XXX. I am also pleased to be a member of the California Medical Assistants Association, XXX Chapter. Self-motivated, hard working and quick to learn are just a few words that describe me in everything I do.
I have an excitement for knowledge, so there is virtually nothing I am not willing to do or learn. I would be a valuable asset to your team.
I would like to meet to further discuss my qualifications and the possibility for employment. Thank you for considering my application

OBJECTIVE

A fulfilling career as a Certified Medical Assistant

QUALIFICATIONS

I am certified as a clinical medical assistant; however, I do have training and experience in administrative medical assisting as well. I am trained in the needle exchange program.

EDUCATION

XXX State University XXX, Ca
Second year baccalaureate nursing Attending

Childbirth International
Certified Labor Doula Training

College of the XXX XXX, Ca
5/2006
A.A. in University Studies
Graduated with High Honors
(Classes include pre-nursing courses)

College of the XXX XXX, CA
5/2002
Certificate of Completion for Medical Assisting Graduated with Honors

CPR Certification Training 8/2007

Injury and Illness Prevention Training XXX, Ca
Fire Extinguisher Basics 10/20/2006

Venipuncture & Injection Certification 2002
California Medical Assistants Association Inc.
EXPERIENCE

XXX Medical Office XXX, CA
Contracted Medical Assistant 6/04 & 7/04
Temporary Medical Assistant for medical group out reaching to low income patients. Received training for Needle Exchange Program

XXX Medical Group XXX, CA
5/02-8/06
Full time Medical Assistant at multi-physician heath care practice, working both Administrative and Clinical

COMMUNITY

College of the XXX XXX, CA Teachers Aid 1/06-5/06
Grading student lab reports for Professor XXX's Human Physiology class

Making Headway, Inc. XXX,CA
Medical staff, assistant 6/03 & 8/03
Duties included: Assisting with overnight camping trips for TBI patients; i.e.: helping with meals, assisting with activities, and distributing medication and first aid when applicable.

XXX Youth Academy XXX,CA
Teachers Aid/Counselor 5/00-7/00
Duties included: Grading papers, helping students with schoolwork, monitoring students twenty-four hours a day, and counseling

XXX Christian School Mexicali, Mexico
Missions Trip to Mexicali Mexico 1999
Ten days in Mexicali assisting in the dental and medical field.

REFERENCES
Available upon request