This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Please HELP ME FIND an EXTERN..

I attend the lovely Everest college, formally Bryman college in Renton,WA. I would love to hear from some other students who are only from that area who have to find their own extern site. There was a problem last year where the students were not either aware or whatever, but most did not attend the extern seminar. THerefore, a LOT of students ended up losing their externships once they were sent out on them, due to calling in sick more than (x) amount of times. I did not know this, I had contracted a viral illnes and called in once. I called in twice a couple of days later when I had gotten a high fever of 102.8 and had to just stay at home. I had no health insurance. The Doctor at my externship basically diagnosed me there while i was on the clock. She sent me home. Meds given to me under the table. The next day, I was still sick. I called my extern site and said, look, I am deathly ill still. I can't make it. The office said "no problem, get well." End of story. I was expecting to get well that weekend and return to my extern site. It was news to me when my externship coordinater called me and said "I was to NOT return to my extern site, and that I need to talk to her" (being the school extern coordinater).
To make a long story short, it turns out that there was a slew (sp?) of students who had gotten sick and called in on their externs. These students were amongst the group that did NOT ATTEND THE EXTERNSHIP SEMINAR in their FINAL MOD!
The students (me included) were just handed a packet of papers and told to look it over and initial it , and to turn it in. Well, in that packet, it stated that if a student were to get sick, they would have to contact their student extern coordinater so they could then in turn, contact the extern site, to basically be able to keep the extern while we were out. I know a lot of you are thinking,"well, yes, that should just be common knowledge for a student".
The problem is, it wasnt just one student. It was many. It seemed to have gottem Everest college biting their nails and thinking Oh s*it. They basically knew better than to just have a teacher hand out something that should of been discussed with DETAIL and UNDERSTANDING with the student and not just flippantly tossed to them. We get papers tossed at us every day in class , and especially at the end of your last two mods. Now, it has been more than ample time since I have been "let go" of my last extern, and I have yet to have found another one on my own. Believe it or not, I have looked diligently for months! Looking on Craigslist, careerbuilders, newspapers...even scouring the hospital and medical clinic floors just handing in my resume's to Doctors offices.
If you don't have any advice on where one in my area would be able to get an extern (maybe you are a student who has completed your extern), please take heed of my words. If you are a new student, KEEP YOUR EXTERNship Coordinater UP TO DATE! IF YOU GET SICK, let them know! don't lose your extern.
Thanks for listening.
CChasersd

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant student

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Re: Please HELP ME FIND an EXTERN..

I guess what i am trying to say/ask is...

to get information from current students who go to my school who are done with their externs, or who are IN their externs as of now.

That way I can get some info as to where I would need to go to get my own extern.

thx a billion..

Re: Please HELP ME FIND an EXTERN..

If you live in the Seattle/ Eastside area:

I suggest if you are looking for an extern look here:
email these people for inquiries on externs, I already have rec'd a response from ALL of them.

Northwest Gastroenterology: Bobbie@nwgastroassoc.com
Overlake Reproductive Health: Manager@fertileweb.com
Valley Med Womens(midwives):Karren@valleymed.org
Cascade Pediatrics: nicole.cascadepediatrics@gmail.com
Urgent Care: Go in person to any UsHealthworks office
Healthforce Partners: JGotz@healthforcepartners.com

If you are already a Graduate, email these:
They are legit emails. I have already gotten replies from them. but alas, I am not a grad yet so they cannot hire me. Google the place for their locations.

Charles River Clinic: Jessi.Whitehead@crl.com
NuWest Group: carmenr@nuwestgroup.com
Cascade Pediatrics: nicole.cascadepediatrics@gmail.com
Bellevue Ob/Gyn: SParker-Dixon@bellegroveobgyn.com
Auburn/Fed Way Surgeons: recruiting@catholichealth.net
Capability Healthcare:lvaughn@capabilityhealthcare.com
Island Dermatology(bellevue):lvigesaa@island-derm.com
Tahoma Clinic: tahomac@tahoma-clinic.com
Swedish Medical Center: spdjobs@swedish.org
Overlake Medical: HR@oima.org
Canyon Creek Medical: cathyk@canyoncreekclinic.com
Virginia Mason (Bellevue): mary.pirnke@vmmc.org

GOOOD LUCK!!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: M.A.

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes