This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Confused about M-A pay

Hi everyone,
I saw the thread below about M-A pay but I wanted to open a new one so my comment is not lost in an old one.

I see people saying that they are ONLY getting 12- 13 dollars an hr ONLY????

I live in Detroit MI and i have to say that the MI people are right low pay is very common in this area.

I work in Ferndale (suburb of Detroit)for an ENT doctor and I get 7:50 an hr I have been there almost 2 years. I would LOVE to find a new job but in Michigan its VERY HARD.
i have asked for a raise several times and have been told "im fortunate to have a job at all"

My job includes front desk work pt check in, insurance work , back office blood drawing,EKG's PFT'S you name it

i seen the one thread about bottom rung doctors paying that low
my boss is one of the best ENT docs in the country

please anyone complaining about anything 10 dollars and over being low STOP IT be very greatful you have that some of us dont.

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no

Re: Confused about M-A pay

Have you tried getting a job through Beaumont or Henry Ford?

"please anyone complaining about anything 10 dollars and over being low STOP IT be very greatful you have that some of us dont"

AMEN to that. I was at my job FIVE years before I went back to nursing school and I was only making 9/hr without benifits....your not alone.

The pay seems way to low for the job you perform. Are MA's that undervalued in your area??? MA's as a whole are underpaid,and in my opinion, undervalued. Anything under $13.00/hr is ridiculous!

But as long as there are MA's willing to feel "fortunate" about accepting ridiculously low pay, the MA profession will remain stagnant for years to come.

Are You Still In School? No

yes i have applied and followed up so far nothing.

the 13 an hr would be awsome (heck 10 an hr i'd be happy)

When you live in a rural area and every doctor's office pays low (and they don't hire at the hospitals--they do not even have LVNs) you have no choice to work for the wage; that is ONE of the reasons I am now in nursing school.

Hi Janet!
Have you tried the hospital systems around you? I know U of M hosp. system hires MA's and also in their
sat. offices in surrounding towns. Even temp or staffing agencies may be able to point you in the right direction. I do know the economy is very depressed in the midwest and these are difficult financial times but the medical field is one area
that will never be without "customers". You have a
a great work history and wealth of hands on experience. There is a Doc's office out there looking for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: certified clinical medical assistant

Are You Working? yes.

rual area? i live in Detroit (well its inda rual/ vacant lol)

thanks for the info

i talked with my boss/ doctor and told him that alot of M-A's make up to 13 his answer? "go there"

yeah i want out NOW

McLaren Healthcare System based out of Flint,Mi
has several MA positions for the area.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified Clinical Medical Assistant

Are You Working? yes.

I was replying to the person who said that MA contribute to the low pay by taking the jobs and not demanding more; I was saying that I live in a rural area and do not have the luxury of going elsewhere because elsewhere pays the same..

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C

Are You Still In School? Nurisng School

Are You Working? Doing free doula service

Did you go to school for MA work? What is your back gorund? Your VERY under paid.

Are You Still In School? graduated

Are You Working? yes

Sm
Did you go to school for MA work? What is your back gorund? Your VERY under paid.

I went to school in 08 and i make only 8 an hr in Detroit.

I love my job hate my pay

Are You Working? yes

I live in San Diego, CA and I've been an MA for 17 years. I get paid $20.37 an hour plus many great benifits. I do it because I love my work and if you put in the time, it well pay off.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified/Registered Medical Assistant

Are You Working? yes

WOW!!! I live in Ohio and have been a Medical Assistant for 12 years and i only make less than HALF!!! of that 9 hr

Are You Working? yes

Karrie, who are you talking to? Are you saying you make less than half of 9/hr??? That would be 4.50 thats less than federal minimum wage. Heck, minimum wage in CA is 8.00. Or were you talking to the girl that makes 20/hr? That is very rare...even in California LVNs do not make that much.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BSN, CCMA-C, CLD

Are You Still In School? NO

Are You Working? Studying for nursing boads

Karrie
***I live in Ohio***
and there lies some of the difference. Where we live vs. a more rural or more metro area helps determine what pay is.

A decent wage in LA might not be reasonable at $12 but it might be alright for Sacramento. That same $12 may be too much to expect in Alturas CA... pulling names out of a hat, not saying things are that way in those places.

I wouldn't expect top dollar in an area where the quality of life is good. I'm not trying to goof on those of you who live in the city, I'm simply saying things in your neighborhoods might offset the things I value in a community. flame suit on

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

heartsopenwide
Karrie, who are you talking to? Are you saying you make less than half of 9/hr??? That would be 4.50 thats less than federal minimum wage. Heck, minimum wage in CA is 8.00. Or were you talking to the girl that makes 20/hr? That is very rare...even in California LVNs do not make that much.

I meant the girl makeing 20 something i only make 9 ive never heard someone makeing that much as an MA

Are You Working? yes

Well I do make that. I'm on the top end of pay and working at UCSD. If you have the experience and skills, and stay on top of them you can make a pretty good living.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified/Registered Medical Assistant

Are You Working? yes

But why should anyone have to wait over 10 years to be able to make a good living at it? Most working MAs are not going to be getting $20 an hour for a long, long time, if ever.

Right. No offense Sonya but your situation is very rare; even though you have a lot of experience. UCSD could hire an LVN for that wage who has a larger scope of practice and could do more things than an MA.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BSN, CCMA-C, CLD

Are You Still In School? NO

Are You Working? After I pass my nursing boards

sonya71
Well I do make that. I'm on the top end of pay and working at UCSD. If you have the experience and skills, and stay on top of them you can make a pretty good living.

i wish my doctor paid us better we got girls starting out at 7:80 hr right out of school and are dumb as a post; like i said i get 9 amd have been there since 97 when i started i got 5:15hr

I agree about that the pay is different in each area.I am currently in an online MA program.I have over 10 years experience in a doctor's office my last wage was 14.53.I'm in school to learn back office and to become certified I learned everything on the job.Also I think the pay depends on specialty and if it is a group practice I've only worked in offices with 6 or more doctors and specialty offices only.The MA's in my last office started at $13 with some making as much as $19.Hopefully with certification now our skills will be proven.The positions I am speaking of are in the South Florida area.

Are You Working? no