This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M-A apay is over the top

I have had a chance to read the posts on pay in the Medical Asssitant field, I must say anything over 10 dollars an hr is overpaid.

You do not need anymore than that to run a patient to the back, draw some blood, do an EKG or file papers.

Simple work not deserving of anymore than 10 tops.

I start my M-A off at minimum wage no matter what they have done before they must earn their keep than they recive a raise up to 10 dollars if they are very good but no more its pointless.

Thank you,
Dr Benson

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? General Practice

Re: M-A apay is over the top

You will not get many people reading your post to one,agree with you and two,believe you are a real doctor. Drawing blood is "simple work"? While many who perform that may be simpletons,a REAL doctor would know the value and importance of gathering as much information to make a diagnosis,and phlebotomy is way up there when it comes to being able to do that.

My first comment is that I do not believe a physician posted this comment.My second is that if a
physician did not believe his clinical staff was worth more than minimum wage I would not choose him as my personal physician.This is a doctor who hangs out his shingle in a low rent office and contemplates
using syringes more than once to save a buck.

Whomever posted this, you spelled "Michael and
receive" wrong. Also, please take a refresher class in English 101. The entire paragraph was one, long,
run on sentence.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: certified clinical medical assistant

Are You Working? yes. Hospital clinic

Whover wrote this is NOT a doctor, BUT they are right this type of work is 8-9 dollars tops.

Come on how hard is M-A work really?

Now I have been an office manager and anyone looking for a high wage like 10 11 dollars would never get the job, this is a job that someone off the streets can do with a week of training.

Danni R who runs this board builds you people up to make you feel like this is THE medical position, same goes for the countless M-A schools.
Why do you think positions open up saying "no experience needed" ? because its a job that needs no skillls for a 8 month mortgage farm.

Never before have I seen the initials "MA" as being "M-A",except on this thread-in 2 different posts. So you kinda gave yourself away with that one.

Not to mention how the number one complaint of those unable to find a job in this field is being told they do not have enough experience. Where have you EVER seen a job ad for an MA that says "No experience needed"?

Nowhere.

"will train" and "no experience needed" have come up

come on this is simple work not needing more than 9 dollars an hour

Re: M-A pay is over the top

I have not ever seen "no experience required" either. At my job they ONLY HIRE MA'S THAT GRADUATED FROM AN ACCREDITED MA PROGRAM AND WERE CERTIFIED (or would be certified shortly because they just graduated and would be taking the test soon). Sure MA work is easier than the stuff I am learning and doing in nursing school, but it was still hard work. Back in the day, some offices like the free clinics in my area would hire off the streets, but not any more (and when they did they were not trained in one week) Paying an MA minimum wage is a insult and shows the audacity of an office and their level of quality care desired for their patients (or lack thereof in that kind of case). Sure, I do not think that EVERY MA deserves over 10 an hour, all have different levels of skills and job expectations. I worked with a girl that had quit but came back because she had gone to work at a specialty office and ALL she did was put patients in rooms. Then there people like me that do a lot more: I pt patients in rooms, do vitals, in take, ect; lab tests: blood draws, H&H, U/A, strep cultures, drug screens, sed-rates, mono screening; injections, immunizations ect; help with procedures: pap smears, excisions (which I have to set up for, know all the instruments, autoclave ect), sigmoidoscopys, casting,eat lavage, physical exams (ie. eye chart, ishihara, hearing). I call in refills, I do referrals, I do TARS, I sign people up for assist programs to get free meds, I call people with their test results...and that is what I do in the back....somedays I work in the front and I check people in, run Medi-cal cards, run the credit machine, make appointments (which you have to know the computer system inside and out) I file charts as well as pull all the charts for the next day for 3 or more doctors which includes printing out all the super-bills, placing new chart notes; I IDC-9 the super-bills when the patients check out (for billing and insurance purposes) I pull 100's of papers off the fax daily (test results, re-fill requests, consult results/ letters from doctors) and give them to the appropriate doc......and when I work weekends I work ALONE with one doctor and I do EVERYTHING I describe above---back office and front, by-my-self.....thats NO comparison to flipping burgers for minimum wage....give me a break...if that misspelling grammar lacking "Dr" really is a doctor I fear for his patients health!

Anna/Dr. Benson...shut up. Did you really think this post would go over well here?

Medical Assistants are GREATLY underpaid. Coming into contact with infectious diseases is simple work? Really now...Maybe you should tell that to every single healthcare worker that has EVER had a needlestick injury. Because, you know, contracting HIV or Hepatitis is very simple.

Please tell me, Anna, if we're not worth more than 10 bones an hour, why do all of the major hospitals around here START their MAs off at the very least of $11/hr? Hmmm...You and your practice are just cheap, penny-pinchers, and it's not the workers that will suffer...It's your patients. But since you're saving so much money by not paying your MAs enough, I'm sure you guys have more than enough money to pay off a medical malpractice lawsuit, right?

Thanks, try again.

"Anna" it is illegal to present yourself as a physician. So please cease your postings. I believe
for whatever the reason you are very disgruntled
FORMER employee of a physicians office. You speak of
managing medical offices in the past tense, so you must be unemployed.
In the first post where you masqueraded as "Dr. Benson" you say just read through the postings. But
in your next post you admit you lied and also seem very familiar with this forum by mentioning Danni R.
What a poor, pathetic individual you are to be so
mean spirited! You should check out" ALL NURSES"
forum. You could bash LPNs.
I am sure everyone is in agreement that you need to move on.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: certified clinical medical assistant

Are You Working? yes. Hospital clinic

I wish there was a way I could find this Dr. Micheal Benson, and let him know that someone is posing as him online.

They probably are not posing as him, he is probably made up

Lame. Someone's got a little too much free time, lol.

I have been a MA for four years. I posess an Associate's Degree in Medical Assisting. I have to say that, yes, I started out making $8 an hour. Within 6 months I was raised to $12 an hour!! Why?? The physician's office I was in saw that by having such a skilled, versatile employee, I was saving the company money! I could take care of every aspect of that office by myself! After 3 years of employment I was making $15 and hour. There were many times when I had to clean the floors and take out the trash but there was NO JOB that I would say no to. I was always willing to learn and take on additional job duties. Unfortunately I moved away from that job but value the opportunity that I had there.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NRCMA, EMT

Are You Working? yes

ill stay away from the fake names but IMO this kind of work "MA" is NOT worth more than 9-10 an hr
it IS VERY SIMPLE work

So you admit that you DID start this thread? That wasn't very wise,using a doctor's name. And I extremely doubt that anyone believes you are an office manager.

Tell all the reasons you think all the duties an MA does are simple. Would you say the same thing about an LPN doing the exact same duties at an office and that they deserve no more than $9 an hour also?

The person who started this post is obviously a bitter, bitter individual. When you possess no employable skills, it must make one feel better to
make disparaging remarks about those who have worked
hard to achieve their goals.
The ignorance of this person is so apparent. The posts
are almost unintelligible. That of a 5th grade
education!
If you are ever in need of medical help I hope you are brought into my ER/CINIC. I will be sure to get a
janitor to start your IV or catheter. Because anyone
off the street can do that procedure. RIGHT?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified Clinical Medical Assistant

Are You Working? yes.Hospital ER/Clinic

I have read all the posts here and there seems to be
similarity between another thread and this one.
The thread asking about MA pay that seems to started
this. There are the same misspellings and bad grammer.If I am wrong, I apologize. But it almost seems the same. Will others check it out? Maybe I am "reading too much into it" Thanks, Kym

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Working? yes.

Just a few of the local jobs here for CMA/RMAs from a large medical employer.
The site is http://www.samhealth.org/employment_opportunities/search_gsrmc.html

41. Mar-7-08 PMG CMA/RMA
Salary Range: Non-certified: $11.69 - $16.67; Certified: $12.40 - $17.68
Samaritan Urgent Care Center
Samaritan Physician Offices, Willamette Valley--all SHS locations, OR
Req#: 7026 PT .7 (56 hrs/pp)
Evening varies

43. Mar-17-08 PMG Medical Assistant--Non Certified
Salary Range: $11.69 - $16.67, Certified $12.40 - $17.68
GSRMC Samrtn Dermatology
Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center, Corvallis, OR
Req#: 6821 FT 1.0 (80 hrs/pp)
Day 8-5

44. Jun-19-07 PMG Medical Assistant--Non Certified
GSRMC Samrtn Srg Assoc
Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center, Corvallis, OR
Req#: 4826 Casual
Day 8-5

45. Mar-7-08 PMG Medical Assistant--Non Certified
FCP Int Med/FP GSC
First Care Physicians, Albany, OR
Req#: 7029 FT 1.0 (80 hrs/pp)
Day 10am-630pm

46. Feb-20-08 PMG Medical Assistant--Non Certified
Salary Range: $11.69 - $16.67
Over Time Rule: 8/80
NLH COASTAL CLINIC
Samaritan North Lincoln Hospital, Lincoln City, OR
Req#: 6909 PT .2 (16 hrs/pp)
Day 16 hours a week

47. Jan-4-08 PMG Medical Assistant--Non Certified
SMG Family Med
Req#: 6504 FT 1.0 (80 hrs/pp)
Day 8-5 pm

48. Feb-4-08 PMG Medical Assistant--Non Certified
FCP Urgent Care GSC
First Care Physicians, Albany, OR
Req#: 6729 Casual
Varies

49. Mar-7-08 PMG Medical Assistant--Non Certified
Salary Range: $11.69 - $16.67, Certified $12.40 - $17.68
NLH COASTAL CLINIC
Samaritan North Lincoln Hospital, Lincoln City, OR
Req#: 7030 PT .8 (64 hrs/pp)
Day 0800 - 16:30

50. Apr-11-08 PMG Medical Assistant--Non Certified
SMG Pediatrics
Req#: 7350

Your Professional Title/Credentials: SMA

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

I guess they are all over paid, eh?

A doctors practice is like riding a motor cycle. On motorcycles, if you have a $10 head wear a $10 helmet. On a doctors practice, pay medical assistants what the practice is worth to keep the physician from undue litigation.

Dr Micheal Benson, good luck! You are gonna need it.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: SMA

Are You Working? no

Kym, I checked that out and do see the connection.
Hmmmm, makes me wonder too! Things will reveal themselves. What do others think about this?

Are You Working? yes. Hospital ER/Clinic

Anna, simmple work? Please! Go read my long post and then tell me if its still simple work. Have you even done medical assisting before? Maybe YOU are only worth less than $9/hr....

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C

Are You Still In School? Nurisng School

Are You Working? Doing free doula service

Jefff, Thanks for a great informative post! What great opportunities you have!!

Well, I've never seen MAs referred to as "M-As"...

This is the kind of stuff people post to get attention. (equivalent to spam)

NEWS FLASH
if you do not like your wage YOU CAN LOOK FOR A NEW JOB.

hey everyone, 1st let me say that the medical field no matter where you work in it is one of the leading fields to be in, 2nd nobody can really make it off of $10.00/hr so lets be real people if you were sick you would want some one who knew what they doing to take care of you so pay them what they deserve to do the job I wouldn't want someone off the streets to take care of me

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA

Are You Working? yes

I started at 10 & hgot my raise 3m later to 12 an hour. If you are skilled you will be compensated.
There is no "unimportant" or "simple" work in a dr's office. You are handling a life. An MA should be paid MORE than 15$ an hour considering that they can seriously hurt someone if they don't know what they are doing.

Do you think that preventing the spread of communicable diseases is simple?

I suppose this site found itself a troll.....

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Working? yes

Silly posters

Kudos to Heartsopenwide for their post, I totally agree. I am a CMA and have been working for just over a year, I have already gotten $2.50 more dollars an hour in just over a year. CMA's are very vital to a clinic or hospital. We do it ALL. I myself room up to 30 patients a day, by myself. When I am not rooming, I am helping the receptionist answer multiple phone lines, medical records, faxing prescriptions, filing, preparing charts for future appointments, I could go on with a laundry list of duties....but why should I have to prove myself to a fake doctor and a disgruntled poster named "Anna?"

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

"The ignorance of this person is so apparent. The posts
are almost unintelligible. That of a 5th grade
education!"

Shelley - my 5th grade daughter writes and spells better than this poster.

Kym - I agree with your observation.

Anna - I'm just curious, what was the purpose behind your post? What were you hoping to achieve? You have successfully proven that the MA's on this forum are educated, highly intelligent and can see through a sham.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, AD, PNCC

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? Yes

Amen Ramona!

You said it, people. MA's are exposed to infectious diseases every day, and we do all the behind the scenes work that play a major role in keeping these offices running smoothly. We get paid according to our duties and skill set, just like everyone else. Plus, we're very hard workers and are usually willing to do the jobs others in the office may not be willing to do.

I believe all jobs exist because of a need the public has for a service, and therefore, each job is important. even the guy serving you your fries on your lunch break. that guy at your local greasy spoon may soon be working in your doctor's office. i know a young student who currently delivers pizza, only because he's studying to be a graphic artist. We all do what we can in this life, and many of us are trying to improve our circumstances. So to look down on MAs, as though they don't matter, is ridiculous.

This anna person clearly knows nothing about the medical field, or she wouldn't say these things. Ask any Doctor (a real one, not an impersonator, of course), they'll tell you exactly how important their MA is to them. This anna, if that's even her real name (and we'd never know, since she lied once), is obviously someone who's perhaps been wronged in some way by a medical care provider having a bad day or something. Anna, i do believe it is illegal to impersonate an MD, and any joe off the street would know that. Therefore, i don't believe for a second you work in medicine.

If i'm wrong about that, you certainly shouldn't be in medicine, as you don't deserve that prestige. You most assuredly couldn't be an asset, if you do work on any self-respecting administrator's team. If you do/did work in any medical setting, you are being paid too much, and i don't care what you're salary is, it's too much. You also have way too much time on your hands and are a very sad case. You should really get a life and stop putting people down to make yourself feel better about your own station in life.

It's a very weak person that feels they have to stoop to that level. You shouldn't speak on matters of which you know nothing about, you only remove any doubt of the perception of others that you're a fool. No MA is dumb enough to work for minimum wage, not if they don't have to; and they usually don't. Not many people in any industry pay their valuable employees a salary they could have gotten paid continuing to deliver pizzas. No one would work so hard getting an education to enter a position that won't pay them anymore money than they were getting in the dead end job they took to pay their way to get the education to get that better job.

I mean, seriously, why would anyone put themselves through that, if it meant no improvement whatsoever in their life? Granted, none of us make six figures, so obviously, we don't do it entirely for the money, but it's certainly part of it. I know i personally worked very hard to graduate at the top of my medical specialties class. Not only did i succeed in doing that, but i did it under incredibly stressful circumstances in my personal life. I must say, i very deservingly am terribly proud of that. My grades directly reflect my work ethic and anyone wanting to know, could bank on my resolve to work that hard in the field, as well.

As i mentioned, we do this job in part, because we want to ease the suffering of others. So my hard work isn't because of how much i'd get paid, but it means i would deserve every so-called "overpaid" dime in my check. I'm curious, of all these things i've mentioned as personal characteristics of your typical MA, can you say the same things about yourself? Right now, based on what i've heard you say, i doubt it. I'm wondering why you're so angry and bitter.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCPT, CPR/BLS, First Aid/Bloodborne Pathogens

Are You Still In School? No. graduated Magna *** Laude in Dec., \'07

Are You Working? not yet

Hey...did you guys notice that he also spelled "Assistant" incorrectly, as well????

*asssitant*
I know that Docs usually have bad handwriting, but do they have bad grammar, too? Anyone catch on to the fact that this person is a disgruntled employee who maybe works for a "Dr. Benson"?

"DR.BENSON": If you are not receiving the pay that you want, maybe you should check your credentials, and "smarten up". Your pay is based not only on your skills, but your attitude, too....Your attitude...(and for lack of a better word) sucks. Maybe that is why the REAL Dr. Benson wont pay you anymore.....

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LNA/ MA

Are You Working? yes

I think whoever started this thread may have done so to try and bring "Danni" back on the board. Seems like she hasn't been on in a long time.

Re: M-A pay is over the top

Yes, I am still here!!!

I haven't posted in a great while, but I do read ALL posts since they are automatically emailed directly to me!

Curious, you are so right... this one definitely has reeled me back in!!! LOL - what a thread! Sometimes, stirring up a bit of a controversy works wonders. It truly brought the attention the topic "MA pay" deserves - and the appropriate responses from medical assistants. You guys did great!!!!

Let me say it one more time, a little louder: You guys are doing a great job here at this forum!!!

---------------------------------------

AND NO!!! I agree, I don't think this is a practicing medical doctor posting this, either. One would expect a lot more "intelligence" from a doctor. Unless it is a PhD - applying a bit of "reverse psychology" here... then Kudos for that!

Or a "foot doctor"...

Foot in mouth!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Forum Admin/Website Owner

Wow!

I'm not sure what to make of this ...I'd like to think he's not a doctor, but then again with the shortage of healthcare providers I guess they let almost anyone into med school and practice these days.

I'd hate to work for you "Dr. Benson" as your disdain for your staff is unprofessional and I'm sure is also indicative of your manner with patients. Do you also base your quality of care on the contracted amount an insurance company will pay you?

As a MA, I most certainly do more than take vitals, draw blood and file papers. I order tests, authorize prescriptions, and coordinate care...then the physician signs off on it. I have set hours when patients are scheduled to see me. I perform minor procedures and am quite skilled at suturing. My skills and work are worth much more than $10.00/hr.

The income I generate more than pays for my salary and the professionalism and friendship all of the staff shares is priceless.

If this isn't a joke, all I can say is that you come across as a miserly tightwad who doesn't have a very good command of the English language yet. It's people like us, MAs who work hard and care about what we do, that are constantly saving the careers of people like you, who can hardly write an articulate sentence.

First off, the idiot can't even spell Michael correctly. Secondly, this Medical Assistant had to explain to a new doc finishing her internship how to do an I&D on a patient's abscess. Considering that I was making $13/hr and she was getting $10,000/month, I don't think that I should be getting minimum wage!

Are You Working? yes

There's one thing trolls are good for....stirring the pot!

Let's not feed this one anymore, though....

Are You Still In School? Just starting