This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pediatric training for Medical Assistants?

I was wondering if schools offer a seperate traing course for pediatric's for Medical Assistants?

Thanks
Karrie

Re: Pediatric training for Medical Assistants?

My school didn't. But as an MA you want to be trained in more general stuff so that your job possibilites are more open...you can always get a job in a pediatric office after you graduate, medical assisting is not specialized in any feild...we do it all

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C

Are You Still In School? Nursing School

Are You Working? Doing free doula service

I have never heard of that either. My school dicouraged us from going to specialty practices.
Doing your clinicals at a family practice will let you
be exposed to little of everything. Often, they also
include peds in their practice. Good Luck!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified Clinical Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes. Hospital ER/Clinic

Ok thanks,
I guess a family practice would be the best option.
I guess on the job training will come from a pediatric office.
Would be cool if a extra training course for ped's was offered that way you can go into a ped's office with experience.

Thanks for the help
Karrie

I took an extra course in school that was not part of my MA program. It was a Pediatric/Geriatric course
that was part of the LPN program. I worked as a CNA
previously, so I had geriatric experience. But I
was really lacking in the peds dept. This course was awesome and worth the extra time and $. It also looks great on a resume for a new graduate, showing your future employer you went the extra mile to add to your
education. In the hospital clinic I work in, we have a peds walk-in clinic also. Maybe when it is time for your externship look for a similiar situation to work in!Hope this is helpful.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified Clinical Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes. Hospital ER/Clinic

I did my front office externship in a peds office. There is a student there now doing the back office externship.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: SMA

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

My program had a peds unit, but no specific class.

Family practice is not the only way to go. you can work in Urgent Care as well. I did my extern at an OBGYN/MIDWIVES center. Just because I chose a specialty area to do my extern, I don't believe that will limit my chances of getting a job later on, no matter where I apply.Urgent Care offers a varitey of skills for a M.A to do, and it's unlikely that you will have to work the front office. I am not good at administrative stuff.

Are You Still In School? y

Are You Working? y