This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
should I go back to school?

I went to MA school in 2000, still no work 8 years later.

I have had a couple of interviews but no job offer.
I want to be a MA more than anything.
I dont want to be a CNA or LPN (no disrespect) I want to be an MA, should I go back to school?

Being a guy dose not help. I know, but this should not be impossible

Thanks
Sam

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no

Re: should I go back to school?

Probably for anyone to answer this post, more info would be needed.
1.What school did you go to? Is it an accredited, well
known institution?
2.Did you take the national certification exam?
3.What area of the country are you in?
4.Did you do an externship for school?
I would think anyone who graduated 8 years ago and had not worked in the medical field since then would need some type of refresher course. Just on skills
alone.
The economy is especially unstable right now, but the medical field is NEVER lacking for customers. I live
in the southeast, one hour from a large metro city.
I counted 16 MA positions in todays (SATURDAY)
metro newspaper! Not to mention what is listed on
web classisfieds such as INDEED.COM, YAHOO,
MONSTER,and other sites geared just for the medical field. I work with one of the advisors for the school I attended, a few times a week to help with student resumes, etc.It drives me crazy when a student tells me they can't find an MA job. Most of them scan thru
the classifieds and stop there. I got lucky and was hired on thru my externship.I am the only CCMA
this hospital has ever hired!But I had to sell myself just to get the externship. The ads you see are not the only jobs out there. A great resume, with the
education and skills to back it up, delivered in
person,(and dressed to impress!) is a begining. Start with the anwsers
to these questions and make an appointment with
an advisor at your school. Sorry for my long-winded
(LOL!)post, and I hope that I in no way offended
you with my questions or comments.
Also, I think being a male CMA is a plus. We have a huge amount of male nurses at my hospital!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified Clinical Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes. Hospital ER/Clinic