This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tips for externship and working with geriatric patients!

I start my externship in about a week. I am very excited. I will be doing it in the medical center of a GIANT retirement community (it's seriously about the size of a military base) that is affliated with one of the major hospital systems in my area. I am not in the Nursing home/LTC area of it, so most of the patients I will be working with are able-bodied seniors, although I'm sure I will see a few of the LTC patients, as well. I met with the HR director, the clinical practice manager, the CMA that will be my preceptor, one of the doctors, one of the PAs, the NP, and a few of the other MAs, and everyone there is SO friendly and really excited to teach/show me things. All of the residents I encountered while I was there were incredibly friendly, as well.

Anyway, do any of you have suggestions for me while I'm on externship? Any tips on working with geriatric patients?

Thanks =)

Re: Tips for externship and working with geriatric patients!

Read up on how the geriatric population is different than a younger population physiologic wise (i.e. may have infection without the usually signs and symptoms, B/P & pulse differences) and know to be patient, and when you speak, do not shout...tip speak directly into their ear if they are hard of hearing. make sure when you are charting their meds to ask if they take any vitamins or herbs...they sometimes omit this not considering them medication...but they can have a drastic effect on some of the Rx meds that they take (particularly the herbs)
I noticed that with some eldrly it is hard to get out of the room..they just talk and talk and talk....I find that this can be because they are lonley, you may be the only one they have talked to all day....or all week.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C

Are You Still In School? Nursing School

Are You Working? Doing free doula service

More on the hearing thing. Talk to them: not while you're turned away washing your hands -the water will muffle your voice, not while you are leaving the room -or turned away from them, pretend they are reading your lips -they might be.

I do have trouble with womens voices, my wife will confirm this, often speaking in a lower tone will help. Most folks, when they attempt louder also go higher in pitch not lower this can often be counter productive.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: SMA

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Thanks for the tips! They are MUCH appreciated!