This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CMA to MLT

I have been in the Medical Assisting field for a couple of years now and I haven't been enjoying it. I thought that I would love working with people, but I was wrong. I feel emotionally drained when the day is over, after dealing with so many people and I know that I would never be able to handle being a nurse!! I still am very interested in health sciences and medical studies. I want to be a lab tech and if I like that I'd possibly become a lab technologist.

Does anyone know about transferring credits? I have an AAS in medical assisting, so I am thinking I wouldn't have to take all those basic classes all over again (such as english, speech, anatomy, etc.) Am I wrong? Anybody out there able to help me? I tried looking online and couldn't find much to help me with that question.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Re: CMA to MLT

Sounds like you've given this decision some thought, your just ready to take the practical steps to get there. I know there aren't as many schools that offer MLT VS MT, but there are "some" out there. Kind of like what you'd find w/LPN VS RN...
I would start w/finding the schools in your area that offer MLT & then sit down w/an advisor to go over your credits (I would bring your transcript). I'm pretty sure w/an AAS you'll have a lot of bases covered already...You may even decide to go for MT.
I'm an RMA, that was credentialized as a Bone Marrow Technitian at a large teaching hospitol in my area. The Bone Marrow Dpt. worked under the Clinical Lab, which fell under the Pathology Dpt., so I did work closely w/some Med Techs., actually my direct supervisor was a Med Tech. I even got to learn how to stain (wright & Iron) bone marrow slides. I always found the Lab very interesting...
Best of luck to you & keep us posted...
Sheila

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? not currently

Re: CMA to MLT

Unfortunately, most applies scince degrees don't allow you to transfer credits as it "applies" only to the educational course you have completed. I have ran into that wall many times in the 12 yrs I have had my A.A.S in medical assisting. If you have worked in a moderate to high complexity clinical lab for at least 2000 or so clock hours, you can apply to take the Certified Office Lab Technician thru AMT, but I warn you, if you don't have the clinical training re: IQAP, COLA and CLIA , you will be hard pressed to pass the exam. You can't work in hospitals but you can work in a large in clinic facility with an MT or MLT. There are a few programs offered online as long as you have a facility to apply your skills,just do a search. Best of luck !

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA,COLT,CCMA,CMLA

Are You Working? yes