This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
State Exam

When somebody talks about taking a "state exam" to be a medical assistant,just what are they talking about? I have seen it on other message boards and I don't get it. Are there any states that actually do that?

Re: State Exam

There is only a national certification exam. No state
except California (please correct me if I am wrong)
requires "state" credentials.Medical assistants have
reciprocity which means when we relocate our certification goes with us. RNs and LPNs have to take
a state exam if they relocate to work in another state.We do have to recert every 2-5 years, depending
on the organization you tested under.Hope this answers your question!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified Clinical Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes. Hospital ER/Clinic

Re: State Exam

RN's and LPN's do not have to retest in order to work in a different state. We can be licensed in multiple states or apply for a license in the state we choose to work in.

Are You Still In School? No