This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Major problems with my externship =*(

So, I left in tears today...It's not as great as I though...not even close.

Let me tell you why. This is VERY long-winded.

1. To get in, you have to drive into the campus and drive pass the security guard booth. They typically don't stop employees as they know them/what car they drive. My first day, I stopped, talked to the guard and told him I was a student. He was very nice and let me go through with no problems. The next day, the same guard was there in the morning, I stopped to tell him again (which I wouldn't have had a problem with), but he just waved me in, so I went. The next day, I was getting ready to stop when I seen the guard (a different one from the previous times) doing the whole hand-wave-motion thing, and the gate was up, so I went through. Later day, when I took my one hour break, I went home since I live only about five minutes from the place. I went back after a half an hour, and of course, I got stopped at the gate. The guard came out to talk to me and went pretty much crazy on me. He said "You just zipped through here this morning, you were speeding, you didn't bother to stop, you were speeding, you were driving like an idiot." etc. So, then I said "No." Before I could finish my statement he cut me off and said "Well, you're the only student that drives a black mustang. If you do one more stupid thing like that, I'm not going to let you park here, and I'll make you walk to work." I was just completely flabber-gasted and I didn't know what to say, so I just said "Okay." I felt like crying.

2. They have made me give two IM injections UNSUPERVISED. The MA that is my preceptor had me go into a room to give a patient a form to sign about getting a certain vaccine, then walked in a minute later, handed me the syrine, gauze, alcohol wipe, and band-aid, and said "You give it to her." then walked out. This happened twice.

3. On the topic of administrating injections, those injections I gave were drawn up by her. The MAs draw up the syringes every night before since they give so many of them. I was always taught NEVER to give an injection or a med that I did not prepare myself. I asked one of the other MAs and she just said "That's how our clinic runs." There are only two types of injections they give that clinical--One is a vaccine and one is a b-12. I can tell the difference because the b-12 is bright red and is 2 ccs, while the vaccine is clear and is 0.5 cc. She also signed off on the injection, but regardless...I don't like having to do that, AT ALL, and it's not even right/legal.

4. One of the doctors yelled at me twice today. The first time, I had to sit up front today and answer the phones (of course, they didn't tell me what to do, what to say, etc). One of the calls I got was from a nurse in the LTC center of this place. She told me that one of that particular doctor's patients fell and that I needed to tell her. So, I did. The doctor yelled at me and said "That's not my job, that's the NP's job, you're supposed to tell her, not me! Go page her and tell her." and gave me this really disgusted look. Later in the day, I had just gotten done with taking a patient's vitals, when one of the MAs told me to go tell that particular doctor that her patient was there. So, I did. The doctor got very rude and said "I already knew that, ok?" After that happened I went into the bathroom for a minute to cry.

4. They have had me call in Rx's, call in to make x-ray appointments, call in to verify insurance coverage ALL WITHOUT SHOWING ME HOW TO. I also do not have access to the patient's charts as they are on an electronic medical record system, and since I am not an employee, I cannot get onto the computers without having someone sign on. They also did not teach me how to use the system when I'm on it.

5. The MA that I'm supposed to be shadowing has only been there twice since I started, and ignores me most of the time when I am there. She is very cold towards me and makes me feel like I'm bothering her when I ask her something. The other MA is very quiet and rarely ever talks to me. I feel like an outcast.

The only person there that has actually wanted to show me things and teach me things is the PA. He has been the nicest to me and the most willing to answer my questions in depth and pull me to the side when something unusual comes along, and explain in depth what it is/why it happens.

After I left today, I got into my car and just broke down and cried. I got home, told my mother what was going on, and got so upset that I started to hyperventilate. I don't know what to do. I'm a student, I am there to learn and be taught...not be free labor for an understaffed team. They haven't bothered to actually watch me and make sure I'm doing things right/correct me when I'm wrong, they just tell me to do things, then make me feel like idiot when I mess up. I can't switch my extern site because the spring semester has already started, and I only have 5 weeks to complete 184 hours. If I drop out of this externship, I'll be out of $400 and have to pay $400 to take the externship/class in the fall.

Please, help me out. Any advice or anything...I am so very upset right now.

Re: Major problems with my externship =*(

Hugs to you. I am so sorry you are going through this. I could have written your exact post about my externship minus the clinical procedures they are letting you do. My site treated me like dirt. Wouldn't teach me any clinical procedures and I cried everyday for 11 weeks. My advice is make sure your instructor knows whats going on.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? NO

Are You Working? Yes

Hugs from me too.... bless your heart, you are really going through a stressful time. I know that you want to learn & that's admirable, but if you choose to stay w/this extern site, you probablly need to lose that as a goal & make your new goal just getting through it & hope to learn a few things on your own along the way. Beleive me when I say that not all places are unwilling to teach. I haven't been in the field long, but I've had good experiences & horrible, like the one you've described... So, if you think you can "tolerate" (w/out putting a patient in danger)this place until you can move on? Can you (w/out crying or spilling your guts) talk to the PA & see if he/she might help w/the situation? Whatever you decide...stay...go/$400...do not beat yourself up!!! You are not to blame!! & We are here to support you!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? not currently

This happens more than people think,having a lousy externship. It doesn't get much attention though since those that went through it and ended up finding a job will repress those bad memories,act like it was just one of those things,or a "learning experience". Those who endured being treated like crap and then to top it off don't ever find a job in this field will usually just give up on this whole subject all together,and you won't see them on here. But I am. I wasn't wanted at the site I went to,the office manager didn't want anymore students but a teacher of mine talked her into it. I won't get into what I went through but to tell you to GET THAT SCHOOL OF YOURS INVOLVED IN WHAT IS GOING ON. Whoever is in charge of you from your school NEEDS to come there to the site to observe and then sit down with you and the OM to discuss what is going on,if only to talk about how you are just being thrown into things with no supervision. That is W-R-O-N-G. They are an office begging for a lawsuit from a patient. If other students have gone through trouble with this site then your school needs to remove it from their list! Enduring being treated badly and ignored is not what you need,it will affect your confidence which in turn WILL affect your ability to search hard for a job,which in some areas you have to do,search hard. So please INSIST the school gets involved,you are paying them and they need to step in and help you out.

Are You Still In School? No,thankfully. The school stank.

Are You Working? Not like I thought I might be

Dear Sybil, The first place I started my ex. at was very similiar. My opinion is that they are using you to fill in the gap of not having enough staff. I also was told to give injections on my own . I called the AAMA to verify what I thought I knew, and yes,
you need to be Supervised as a student. Learning how to give injections is not just giving the inj. but following thru from drawing it up properly. Do not let anyone bully you, this YOUR EXTERNSHIP! Not theirs.And you are there to put into practice what you have been studying for two years.
If an MA asks you to speak w/ a Doc about anything, tell the MA ever so sweetly since you are a student
and not an employee it really isn't your place. And smile. Women in general are not always so nice to one another.And too often your exact senario is repeated over and over w/ other students. You have your very own scope of practice as a student. Follow it.Try to rectify this by speaking to your Instructor
about to how to handle this on your own, before having her speak to the office mgr.Don't create hostility were you don't have to. And lastly, always remember your experience here so someday when you have a student you will make them feel welcome and wanted. Let us know how Monday goes, remember you have friends here

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified Clinical Medical Assistant

Are You Working? yes. Hospital ER/Clinic

Sybil,

As a guy I'm always a bit reluctant to extend a hug to folks I don't know...

Don't let them know they are getting under your skin.

Externship sites get a variety of students.

Some students, like the pre med, do nothing but watch the doctor.

MA students are supposed to LEARN. Learning styles vary that is why in classes you, read about the subject, had a lecture, saw it done, and later had a competency to pass.

Contact the your school externship instructor, let them know what is up.

Think about what you are going to say. Talk to your preceptor. What would you do if you were employed there. It is obvious that you wouldn't want to work there, but they have a responsibility to uphold their commitment to the school and you. If they are incapable of fulfilling their commitment to effectively train and mentor you maybe they should rethink making those kind of arrangements. YOU ARE A STUDENT, NOT A CMA/RMA TEMP!

I had to remind my externship site of my status and the contracts they make students sign just to train there. Do not use the word "work" use "train", you are there to train for work.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: SMA

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Thanks for all of the advice/hugs everyone. I have my externship class on Monday, and our coordinator will hopefully be there. If not, I'm sure I can get her cell phone number from the program director (I used to have her cell number, but I got a new phone recently and lost her number). If she can't switch my site, I'm just going to have to stick with it, and if they try to get me to anything else shady, I will not hesitate to call OSHA or the AAMA and my school and possibly a lawyer.

There are MD offices that hire people right off the street and call them MA's, so what they are doing is not illegal. Where it gets sticky is the fact that your ex. site has a contract with the school to provide a place for students to do clinicals. Speak w/ the instRuctor about the best way to approach the clinical mgr. at your site, so you can have a "scope of practice" during your clinicals. Try not to approach this with a hostile attitude. You can make this work! Also, remember your clinical site is reference for future employers. I have my own mantra
that I chant when things get tough...THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified Clinical Medical Assistant

Are You Working? yes. Hospital ER/Clinic

Long story short--Everything is much better. I talked to my externship coordinator, to the office manager, and to the MA that I'm shadowing, and everything is going good =)

Thanks for all the support, everyone =)

GOOD,and I bet you feel a load off. But by any chance did you mention about seeing a lawyer to anyone? Just curious..........

No, I didn't.

. I am hoping that every office is not as uncaring as the one you described. It almost makes me afraid to go into externship. Is there a way around this type of treatment. Can you change externships if you encounter this type of problem.

Are You Working? not in this field yet.

After I talked with them, things have gotten a lot better.

Don't be scared about your externship. If you really do have a problem, your coordinator should be able to switch you (as long as you tell them a week or so into the externship).

Sybil I am very glad that everything seems to be going much better for you!!!! I hope that I have a good experience when Im done. As an LNA, I had a rough time in the beginning with my co workers and stuff, and once I told them that I wasnt there to be pushed around or do anything illegal, they stopped. I know what its like to speak up and stand up for your self, and how much better that can make things! Good Luck in the future!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LNA/MA

Are You Working? yes

Ok. RE: Your problem number 2.

That is not uncommon. WHy are you upest about this?
This happend to me on my extern at Urgent Care. They expect you to have not only the knowledge, but the confidence in your clinical skills at your extern. After a certain point you arent going to shadow them anymore. YOu are going to be "working" as they are. Rooming Patients, getting vitals, taking blood, injections..etc, and yes, a lot WILL be unsupervised!
You are going to be graded on your skills! Get used to it. Don't be surprised if you are unsupervised for your Veni's as well. If anything goes wrong, it's not your fault, so to speak. IT's theirs. ANd you should already be insured. So they arent worried too much. Unless something horrible goes wrong, like you stick a Patient with a needle after you stick yourself with the same one, and you are H.I.V positive. But is that common? no.

Are You Working? yes

Hello, I have been an M.A for only a year, and so far, I love it!
I have done M.A work in Urgent Care, as well as Pediatrics.
I have had horrible experiences with my extern, and wonderful experiences.
In the midst of my 80 hour extern, i was let go of, but not for lack of clinical skills.
I found my new extern, months later, and LOVED it there. I have to give credit to the first extern, for if I didn't have such a horrible experience with it, I would of not been able to have a sucessful second externship. I learned a LOT more with failure than with automatic success. I have to comment on your complaints , though.

Number 3: its not that un-common, esp in Urgent Care to already have the Injections already drawn up. Every clinic does it differently, even if that is not very common or even heard of a lot. Also, if she signed off on it, thats not uncommon as well, only for the fact that you are the student, and SHE is taking liability on that injection. What reallly should of happened is, YOU should of just taken the initiative and signed off NEXT to her sign off. Why wait and get her permission? If she disagreed, you should of said something to the manager in charge, OR your externship coordinator at your school. Or whomever set you up at that exern site.

number 4 :Doctors are human as well, not superhuman, and they are no better than you! If they become disrespectful, let them know that you felt they were rude to you and your feelings got hurt. A LOT of times, they aren't aware of the fact that they hurt your feelings. If this happens, I would ask another M.A "why the doctor was mad" and if you should say anything. If you have a good M.A working with you, they will talk to the doctor themselves to help smooth ruffled feathers.

number 5 : That just doesnt make sense as to why they would even do that to you!
I would of "complained" , but nicely, to the manager! That was wrong of them to have you use the computer system without a login name/password. I would of flat out asked them to show me how to use it! IF they had you call in RX, make X-ray appts, and call to verify insurance (Without showing you HOW), that is something that you should of put your foot down on, and demanded that someone teach you! I dont know you, but from what I am hearing, it sounds like you are hesitant to stand up for yourself, and in the medical field ESPECIALLY, you are going to have to make that a new priority of yours! You just stood there when the security guard was yelling at you , and you didnt say anything but mumble, "okay", then you walked away practically in tears. You HAVE TO DEVELOP thick skin as an M.A!!! NEXT, The important people you want to speak to regarding externship problems, is your SCHOOL externship coordinator /person! Keep in mind, you should of been told this from the beggining of your start date, that if you encounter any problems, do not hesitate to call the school! THEY should want to HELP YOU keep your extern as much as you, if not more! After all, they get money everytime a student of theirs graduates. sad but true.

number 6: If the only person that was nice to you didnt have a clue to the problems you were having, then that makes me wonder if you getting "fired" from your externship could of been prevented. My suggestion, would of been to ask that P.A for assistance, and if he said he was unable to help you because time didn't allow him, then kindly ask him would he please ask someone else, such as an M.A there, to help you. They would of listend to the P.A, if not You.

As for you having only weeks left to complete your externship,......you need to speak to someone at your school, that deals with finance. If you re-enroll, your payments may be post-poned, and since you got fired from your extern, it sounds like its the schools responsibility to find you another extern!!
What school do you even go to?
And why do YOU have to pay for your externship? That SHOULD really be part of your schooling as an M.A.

To Cyrena, As an extern you are NOT supposed to be unsupervised. That is why you have a "preceptor". They are supposed to watch your skills. Later on, when she is actually hired, then that is the time to be left alone. It is ILLEGAL here to leave people alone, mistakes can be made, and lawsuits can form.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LNA/ MA

Are You Working? yes

Amen to that. NOBODY should be left unsupervised AT FIRST if they are doing an invasive procedure to a patients's BODY. That would be injections and venipunctures. I saw what the phlebotomy training was like in a typical medical assistant program and a LOT is left out. Not once were those students taught about nerve damage,NOT ONCE.

Well, I was unsupervised practically the second day on my extern at the Urgent Care. They basically said "go for it" and I did Depo shots and TB and MMR injections. I really don't see what the problem would be , They teach you the skills for almost a year in school. They know externs have those skills, they are insured, they know how to document correctly, they know what to do. Sounds pretty basic to me. I didn't have any problems.....
Whats the difference between an extern who is insured , and a M.A emplyee, and say....the M.A employee makes a needle stick mistake, and the student extern doesnt? I dont see the problem. AAMA or not.

Well, I was unsupervised practically the second day on my extern at the Urgent Care. They basically said "go for it" and I did Depo shots and TB and MMR injections. I really don't see what the problem would be , They teach you the skills for almost a year in school. They know externs have those skills, they are insured, they know how to document correctly, they know what to do. Sounds pretty basic to me. I didn't have any problems.....
Whats the difference between an extern who is insured , and a M.A emplyee, and say....the M.A employee makes a needle stick mistake, and the student extern doesnt? I dont see the problem. AAMA or not.

WOW Cyrena, you are VERY blind if you DONT see the problem with that. You got L U C K Y...Very lucky. As your "preceptors" they are supposed to guide you and shadow you in the office to make sure you are doing everything correctly. I HIGHLY doubt you have NEVER made a mistake since you started as an MA...Not only that, IF a mistake HAD happened, you would have lost your job, and once you make a large-scale mistake, unfortunately, that WILL follow you around. It can be fairly difficult to find a job after something happens that happened to be your fault. Patients tend to look badly on the DOCTOR if one of the staff has done something incorrectly. Its not just your job and reputation, its the entire office's. You are a representative of that practice. Furthermore, they really DONT know if the extern HAS those skills. They are assuming, and that can also lead to mistakes. If you are assuming that "they know how to document correctly" you are mistaken. Mistakes are made, thats that. We are human. Also,have you ever researched on-line about how much doctor's have to pay for Medical Liability Insurance?? Its through the roof! And they have to trust that you actually are helping the practice not hurting it. I think that you should be taking a different approach to your job......

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LNA/MA

Are You Working? yes

Uhm....I didn't get fired from my externship, and as I said, things are MUCH better and I am still there. I simply did not think it was appropriate to have a student, on her first day, giving injections unsupervised. There's a big difference between giving your lab partner an IM injection consisting of sterile saline with a seasoned RN watching you to ensure it is done correctly, compared to a student giving someone a potent vaccine injection all alone.

Not to mention MANY medical assistant schools sometimes don't get the chance to have a doctor come into the school to supervise injections. That was what we were told had to happen and so we NEVER got to practice on each other. This is very common,I have talked to others who say they never got to practice also. And even if we had gotten to practice,it would have been over the course of a few days,not the full year.

Hey, Jennifer. Yes, I stand by my word when I say that I have NEVER made a mistake as an M.A, and that was a while ago when I was a student onmy extern. AND furthermore, you dont need a doctor to come into the class to teach how to give injections or take blood, for the instructors at our school are all CMA's, and their credentials are venerable. They have to of had experience as a M.A for some amnt of time, as well as be a current CMA! Oh and FYI, I am now a CMA. Still , with no mistakes!!!

Are You Still In School? n

Are You Working? y

Well Cerena, that is just fantastic. :-/ It is nice that you have never made a mistake. I have never made a mistake either, but I am not immune to it...I wish you luck in all your endeavors.....

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA, LNA

Are You Still In School? y

Are You Working? y

I had my second day of extern today. While the first day was great with many compliments,a s we were busy with a decent pt losd, this day was not good. It was very dead, and I tried to keep very busy with housekeeping and such. After everything was done, I was forced to stand around with other MA's who were talking and waiting for patients to come in as well. I just feel very depressed because I know how important it is too stay busy, ask to help with anything to not appear lazy. I feel like i may have stepped on other MA's toes and stopped asking questions. They seemed to be bothered.I hate having nothing to do while I am trying to learn and look like a dependable hardworking person. Any advice for these "downtimes" after all the laundry is done and you feel lost? It woul be much appreciated!!!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA - Extern

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? No

abita
I had my second day of extern today. While the first day was great with many compliments,a s we were busy with a decent pt losd, this day was not good. It was very dead, and I tried to keep very busy with housekeeping and such. After everything was done, I was forced to stand around with other MA's who were talking and waiting for patients to come in as well. I just feel very depressed because I know how important it is too stay busy, ask to help with anything to not appear lazy. I feel like i may have stepped on other MA's toes and stopped asking questions. They seemed to be bothered.I hate having nothing to do while I am trying to learn and look like a dependable hardworking person. Any advice for these "downtimes" after all the laundry is done and you feel lost? It woul be much appreciated!!!!!

Bring your books and study on down time but be prepared to put them down as soon as things pick up again. Ask you preceptor and other MAs if you can practice skills on them, B/P, blood draws, EKG; when things are slow. Get oriented to paperwork, there is a lot of it to learn as an MA and not much time to go over it when you are busy. Is your program clinical and administrative? If so, if things are slow in the back, ask if you can spend some time at the front desk leaning skills. Get familiar with the sample closet.Look up any drugs that you do not recognize and familiarize yourself with them. Note any unfamiliar Dx patients are being given throughout the day and look them up to familiarize yourself with those as well...causes, symptoms, what medications might some one with this diagnosis take? Ect...the above should be plenty to keep you busy during down time.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C, CLD

Are You Still In School? Nursing school (BSN)

Are You Working? Self employed certified birth doula

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C, CLD

Are You Still In School? Nursing school (BSN)

Are You Working? Self employed certified birth doula

Thanks for the advice. I know I need to take control of the situation. It is MY externship and it is up to me to take the initiatve. I think I got caught up too much in what people are thinking of me intead of using it as a learning experience. There is no way to compete with the other MA's I am working with that have a minimum of 5 years with this company. This particular clinic contains all medical records on a computer, which is great. However, I have no experience with this system. I do not want to sound like I am not grateful for any experiences straight out of the gate. I love this field. I have problems with the downtime. Your advice was spot on, and it will be implemented upon my return tomorrow. This forum has been so useful for me! Thanks again. I will let you know how it went. F.Y.I. I am clinical, but have a lot of admin experience in different fields.

Are You Working? No

I have to say I feel your frustration. However I am feeling rather the opposite in some ways. I wish the place I am currently in would just let me go off and do it and let me tell you why.

Not only is this my third externship, but it is also my last. By now I feel comfortable with almost every procedure and will let someone know if I need help. The main reason why I would even ask is bc I do not know where stuff is or new machine setups (u know how different they all can be) Well at the site I am currently in, it is aweful. Now I am not knocking 9 month programs but all the girls who work at this office when to the same school. So they were kinda cliquey from day one anyway. fine I can deal with it. But everything I did they wanted to watch me or said I couldnt give shots for a while even though I have been giving them for a year in school already. One girl I worked with said I was giving the shots wrong. Here is how that went down. I cleansed the subcutaneus tissue in the the back of the arm. I usually let it air dry and apply my gloves. But she runs over and dry swipes and that made me a little mad because I was saying to myself inside GEE thanks for reintroducing microorganisms on my puncture site. I felt aweful becuase I didn't have the guts to say " I was taught to let it air dry" But I had to finish the procedure. I applied my gloves and I grasped the subcutaneus tissue and inserted my needle at a 45 degree angle aspirated and injected the medication. I use my dominant hand to stick and stabilze my non dominant hand to inject the medication. Then I put a gauze just above the site and pulled the needle out the same way it came in and applied pressure to the puncture site, then applied a bandaid. As soon as that patient left, the MA tore into me saying I gave that injection IM. I explained to her how I learned the procedure and that I had performed it correctly according to my schools standards. Iwatched her give one and I knew she was holding it at way to much of an angle, too close to the skin (looked almost intradermal) one handed and was actually pulling the skin out with the needle in there. OUCHIE it looked painful. I was not about to do it her way. The opportunity came and I did it my way again. and she claimed I did it wrong AGAIN. Can u imagine how this made me feel. But I remained calm. She also kept rechecking my BPs and Pulses and informing me that those were wrong too. When I had an opportunity to speak with my instructor I told her my confidence was basically shot down because this person kept saying I was wrong. You know what my instructor did? She re-evaluated me just to be sure I WAS doing everything correctly and I passed with flying colors. It made me realize that there are just some people out there that just want to make you look bad or make u question your skills. Now when it came time to draw blood, another girl said I held my needle wrong. So I decided that the next day i was just gonna bring my book in (who was written by a former member of the curriculum board for the AAMA) and that way if she questions my technique again, I would have proof that I don't just "hold my needle a weird way". well I noticed that she didn't seat her butterfly and I asked her why. She looked puzzled. Said she never heard of such a thing. I showed her in the book stating that it is honestly the "selling point" on the butterfly method, that you can seat it and have both hands free. Go in a 15 degree angle and the slowly decrease to five, then seat it by stretching out the wings so they touch the pts arm and there you have it. A stable needle. keeping the tubing and evacuated tubes downward you insert your tube fulling and begin to get your specimen. She was PUZZLED and proclaimed that she has NEVER heard of such a thing and WOULD NEVER EVER do that. I do not agree with your professor, she said, it is insane to do that. But what hurt was she went to all her other fellow classmates that worked there with my book, showed them and said, Would you do this, of course they were all like no. and while I went in with a pt, when I came back out they were laughing and she said we were just discussing "your method". I felt alienated, and I just wanted to cry even though I knew I was right all I could do was remain professional and remember that I am their guest to learn. I later found out that not a one of them is certified. and they all give injections and finger sticks without gloves YIKES. I am NOT doing it that way!
And I still have to go to this site 2 days a week for the next 7 weeks and have NO CLUE how I am gonna keep my sanity. Any ideas????
and please, I do not need more people telling me I am doing it all wrong. I go to a CAAHEP school, curriculum reviewed by the AAMA. I am doing what I have been taught was the right way. so please give a student a break. I am, open for suggestions but not insults to my professors.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: SMA associates program

Are You Working? no

If your instructor says you are right, I would believe her over any of the CMAs.....

Hang in there sweetie--it's only 14 more days with those cackling hens, then you will be FREE! :)

Jenny

Are You Still In School? yes--Brevard Community College

SMA,
I am currently in the lab portion of my 7 month school and we were taught the same exact way you were. These women at your school are comfortable to say the least and are laxing way too much. My instructor told us too that in the field you probably will only wear gloves for blood draws, but i too will be wearing gloves for everything.

Do not feel bad your techniques sound good in writing.

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? Yes, but not in health care

Hi "SMA graduating in June",
I have read your story. Thank you for sharing. I am VERY impressed with your professionalism, patience, tolerance, and diplomacy toward medical assistants that should lend a helping hand, rather than discourage. In many ways you are a MUCH bigger than them, so continue being the bigger person. REMEMBER: YOUR goal is to finish the program. It saddens me that such a wonderful and truly engaged future medical assistant like you is getting such a lousy experience (what should be one of your best!), but nevertheless, I believe with your wonderful professor(s) on your side, you will make it through.

With every day that you do your best, and overcome obstacles others throw your way, just remember that "this which doesn't kill you will only make you stronger!" In a weird way they are doing you a favor.

Best wishes,

Danni R.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

SMA

Don't worry about it too much.

When I got my job they thought I was weird. When setting up a sterile field I was taught to open the stuff and "flip" it into the drape. They all open the packets -over- the sterile field and dump the contents in the center. I was taught not to reach over the field with non sterile stuff, gloves, tools... and the outer edge is considered not sterile.

Do what you know is right and what you have been trained to do, unless they have written procedures that state you do it another way.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

SMA.

Two words. NOT CERTIFIED!
Keep your sanity in tact, sweetie. I know the feeling you are experiencing at the site. People are threatened by you and your professionalism and the fact that you stand by your convictions. I wish there were more of you out there! There is definitely a wrong way and a correct way to injections and blood draws. You already konow this. It is tough to fit in at an atmophere where there is a close knit clique. They are wrong. You are right! Your willingness to stay the course and not adhere to pressure will pay off in spades. Keep doing what you are doing. I wish you the best and good luck with your endevor. (SP)!

Are You Working? No

Thank you all for your support. I know I can get through this, it just takes a lot of self confidence and self control. I must learn to take what they say to me with a grain of salt and realize that when I get a job someday (hopefully have one lined up before graduation knock on wood) that I will be free to do the procedures the way I know is correct according to AAMA and OSHA without some snots telling me that I dont have to do this or I am doing that wrong.
Because on June 26th I will be taking the CMA exam and I am confident I can beat that test and drop the S on the SMA and add that C! and will have an associates degree. So that will be enough right there to give me the confidence and all the backup I need in case I ever run into these issues while working. Hopefully I don't, because I hope that this field will eventually come together and standardize the knowlege so that we are all on the same page.face it. It is MAs from schools like this that could make us look bad and cause lawsuits and offices to be fined by OSHA, CLEA and whatnot. So I hope and pray that I will work with nice good MAs that have some sort of theory behind their skills.
this forum is awesome. I feel that I can come here and to talk and to vent and have support from other professionals. It is a great idea and a good way to meet others of the same interest.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: sma

Are You Still In School? YES

Are You Working? NO

Please excuse my ignorance, but what does SMA stand for?? Just curious.

SMA stands for student Medical assistant. at our school we have to write it out after our name in our chart notes.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: SMA

"Two words. NOT CERTIFIED!"

Please be careful with this statement and way of thinking for lack of better wording. I work in an extremely busy PCP office. Sometimes over 60 pts. a day for 1 full time phyician, 1 part time physician. I am the ONLY certified MA there. I've been there over 4 years. I work with some of the most professional, skilled MA's you will find.

I do wish certification were necessary. Heck, on some level, I'd even like to see licensure implemented. That being said, you will probably be working with a lot of uncertified MA's. "Two words....NOT CERTIFIED"
is a blanket statement. You'll run into certified and uncertified MA's who don't know their butt from a hole in the ground AND certified/uncertified MA's that deserve your respect. Title has nothing to do with it. I'm not even allowed to have CMA on my namebadge at work....truth be told, I'm the only one being certified matters to. I don't make any more being certified and I certainly don't feel more qualified than my peers who have been doing this for 10-15+ years.

I'm not saying not to be proud of being a CMA. I'm proud of it, I worked hard to earn it. I'm just saying don't have an air of superiority about it. In the actual working environment, it doesn't mean squat.

Are You Working? Yes

lorraine
"Two words. NOT CERTIFIED!"

Please be careful with this statement and way of thinking for lack of better wording. I work in an extremely busy PCP office. Sometimes over 60 pts. a day for 1 full time phyician, 1 part time physician. I am the ONLY certified MA there. I've been there over 4 years. I work with some of the most professional, skilled MA's you will find.

I do wish certification were necessary. Heck, on some level, I'd even like to see licensure implemented. That being said, you will probably be working with a lot of uncertified MA's. "Two words....NOT CERTIFIED"
is a blanket statement. You'll run into certified and uncertified MA's who don't know their butt from a hole in the ground AND certified/uncertified MA's that deserve your respect. Title has nothing to do with it. I'm not even allowed to have CMA on my namebadge at work....truth be told, I'm the only one being certified matters to. I don't make any more being certified and I certainly don't feel more qualified than my peers who have been doing this for 10-15+ years.

I'm not saying not to be proud of being a CMA. I'm proud of it, I worked hard to earn it. I'm just saying don't have an air of superiority about it. In the actual working environment, it doesn't mean squat.

Certification remains largely voluntary for medical assistants, and depends largely on what the employer, or the professional him/herself wants. Nevertheless I have always been a strong proponent, since it DOES open doors that otherwise would remain closed.

For example, our Baystate Medical Center (BMC) in Springfield, Massachusetts, is the largest of the hospitals in the Baystate Health system. It is the leading health facility in western Massachusetts, and offers a plethora of employment opportunities, including medical assistants in the areas of medical and health care, and trauma. It is also home to Western New England's only Neonatal and Pediatric Intensive Care Units.

Also:
Baystate Children's Hospital
Baystate Emergency Medicine
Baystate Radiology and Imaging
Baystate Regional Cancer Program
Behavioral Health Service
Cardiac Services
Comprehensive Breast Center
D'Amour Center for Cancer Care
Hip and Knee Replacement Program
Baystate Regional Sleep Program
Rehabilitation Services
Wesson Women and Infants' Unit

-------------

When they hire Medical Assistants, which they do, (Practice Medical Assistant II) AAMA certification is REQUIRED.

Qualifications:
Must be a graduate of an AAMA approved/accredited medical assisting program and be AAMA certified.
Responsibilities
-Provides direct patient care and performs simple nursing procedures.
-Performs medical record, clerical and related activities to support physicians and patients
-Involvement with point of care and quality control monitoring.
-Contributing member of practice based performance improvement initiatives.
-Basic telephone triage by protocol.
-Ability to take on small projects and bring them to completion.
-Poficient in registration, appointment scheduling and clinical requirements.

Are You Working? Yes

"Then I put a gauze just above the site and pulled the needle out the same way it came in"

Be careful with this, it's very easy to stick yourself. Pt. jerks, someone bumps you, etc. I keep my left (non-dominant) hand out of the way altogether until the needle is out and the safety feature is engaged.

Any office that lets an extern (it doesn't matter how long you've been in school or what you've done there, you're still an extern) come in and just lets them go because they think they're proficient is being negligent. Whether you think/know you're proficient is irrelevant. You should be supervised until the office manager or whoever is your superior is comfortable with your skills.

That being said, if they're telling you to do things incorrectly, you should go to the office manager and explain what's going on. Sometimes people who have become TOO comfortable with their skills (your co-workers) become lax. Not wearing gloves for procedures is inexcusable and just stupid. Wearing gloves for everything is very impractical and makes the pt feel like a leper if you're only taking a bp. Not only that, your hands will be raw in a week.

Do you have a nurse in your office? If you do, I'd ask her if she could watch you give a few injections. Your claim that you're doing it the right way will carry more weight if the nurse is backing you.

You have to keep in mind that these girls have probably been doing things "their" way for YEARS and here comes this green extern (no offense intended) telling them they're doing things wrong...then to add insult to injury, you bring in the "proof" (your books). Keep doing things the way you learned....if they give you grief, like I said, go to the nurse or manager for back up, but DO be sensitive to the fact that in trying to justify your position, you may be inadvertantly antagonizing them.

I was really lucky and externed where I now work. Everyone was very helpful and supportive and they made me feel like part of the team from the get-go. If it hadn't been like that, it would have been really hard to go there 40 hours a week for 3 months.

Good luck to you.

Are You Working? Yes

Danni,

That's great. I wish more places WOULD require certification. Until that happens though, we all have to co-exist, certified and uncertified. Like I said, I'm not even allowed to have CMA on my nametag because it differentiates me from the other MA's and the pts will start questioning it.

I guess my main point was that you'll find very professional MA's that are NOT certified and unprofessional ones that are....the title isn't necessarily indicative.

Are You Working? Yes

Lorraine, I just have to say that I thought your advice was extremely well put!

Are You Working? yes

Thanks so much.

Are You Working? Yes

Lorraine,

I second the great advice. I will be starting that type of class on Monday. So, any advice on this topic is greatful.

Thank you

Are You Working? yes

You'll do fine. Just be respectful, confident but still humble and be a hard worker. Keep busy, there are always things to do. If you don't know what to do next, ask. If it's not busy, don't just sit, ask for something to do. If you see that something needs done (filing, pulling mail, labs, etc.) just do it if you've been shown how. If you haven't been shown how, ask someone to show you. Knock 'em dead...

Good Luck!
Lorraine

Are You Working? Yes

I hope you didn't mean it literally!!!! Hahahahaha!!!! (Knock 'em dead!). ROFL.

Are You Working? Yes

There ARE days.....

Are You Working? Yes