This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I think friend is pulling my leg!!

I think my friend is pulling my leg! she is a ma student at icdc in la. she says her instructor is a dr and told her that mas are like nurses and have the same duties. she also told me her instructor said mas do pap smears - I don't think that is true. I am also a ma student and never heard this what's the truth?

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Re: I think friend is pulling my leg!!

Here we go again! Medical Assistants are not nurses.
Read the scope of practice at aama-ntl.org for Certified Medical Assistants!
Unless you are an RN or a NP you won't be doing pap tests. In many community health departments RN's do paps.
I also have never heard of a an MD teaching medical assisting. Seems like quite a step down unless he has lost his license and needs a job
Phoenix, are you currently in school to be an MA?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified Clinical Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes. Hospital ER/Clinic

He may have his PhD in something, which is why he would be called "doctor". My A&P professor had her PhD in biology.

shelley,
I am currently a ma student who just completed her first module with a b. I attend maric in north hollwood ca. I had to temporarily drop and go back in july as not to mess up my attendance after I had minor surgery and needed a few weeks to heal. I am beeter now and ready to go..From my experience I think many drs get their degrees from the dollar store. I have been misdiagnosed many times. I don't know why my friend tells me things like this. she also tries to discourage me in some ways but i ignore it and stick with it. she also says she gets a s without barely studying.

Are You Working? yes

I already knew the duties of an ma being a student and know what a nurse does. But find it odd that my friend who is also an ma student would believe such bs about nurses and mas being almost the same. I also find it shocking that how immature alot of girls in my class are. this can be very dangerous and unprofessional this is in a medical setting. Do they plan on acting this way at work? this is not mc donald's. I would be afraid to have very imature giggly goos sticking needels in me!

Are You Working? yes

Surprisingly, and sadly, a lot of MAs think they are comparable to nurses...wrong! And MA's ASSIST with paps but they do not do them....your friend is either pulling your leg or has no clue what she is talking about

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C

Are You Still In School? Nursing School

Are You Working? Doing free doula service

The main reason so many MA students think they will be on the same level as a nurse is because of that repeated lie that is being told at all schools (I heard it several times in my classes) about how LPNs are being "phased out" by Medical Assistants. This is not true,is not going to happen,and they should stop saying it. I imagine a lot of recruiters and admissions workers will say it in interviews with would-be students.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

You are so right on that one!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified Clinical Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes. Hospital ER/Clinic

they don't teach that at my school. they teach that an ma is an ma.

Are You Working? yes