This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
? re diploma

i am 55 years old, work in the medical field, both back and front office, and am interested in getting certified as a MA. Thing is, I never finished high school so I did not get a diploma. I also did not bother with a GED. I had never found it necessary in my legal (and now medical) career.

Quite frankly, there is no way that I would be able to pass the math portion of the current GED course.

Can you become a certified MA with 'life experience'? Or do you absolutely have to have the diploma or GED?

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Re: ? re diploma

In order to take the certification through the AMT, even with no formal training as an MA, (just work experience) you must have either a high school diploma or GED. You may find this info at amt1.com

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified Clinical Medical Assistant

Are You Working? yes. Hospital ER/Clinic

The GED course I took had a special algebra class that met by itself and it was very helpful. I don't think the rest of the math was difficult,I managed to pass and you probably could too.

Just out of curiosity,why do you want to be certified? And what is meant by not needing a high school diploma for a "legal" career? You have a lot of people wondering what you meant by that!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? No,thankfully. The school stank.

Are You Working? Not like I thought I might be

Same here

For 20+ years I was a legal negotiator. I had my own business and handled negotiations between my corporate clients and their customers. I kept an attorney on retainer (we worked together) and when court appearances were necessary, he of course would appear, since he had the sheepskin. It was a lucrative business and the relationship between myself and the attorney I kept on board was a good one. In fact, he was willing to sponsor my taking the bar exam. I don't know if that is something that is permissible now. I know a lot of things have changed in the last 15 years, since I closed my business.

I'd like to be certified because it is just something I'd like to do. No necessity actually, other than it being a goal for myself. I work with elderly patients (urologists office) and handle quite a few back end responsibilities..... I enjoy my work and I also enjoy challenging myself....those are my main reasons....it's definitely not the pay !

Are You Working? yes

I feel that if you worked in the world of corporate law, ran your own business and are doing front and back end medical office you can pass the GED. I am confused as to how you can take the bar exam without going to college, Law school, and not having a high school diploma. My husband practices family law, and it sure would have saved us close to a hundred grand if he could have skipped all the formalities of his law education.

I feel that if you are willing to put effort and work into you becoming a Certifed M.A, then you might as well go for your G.E.D. Its not as intimidating as you think. I got mine 10 years ago, I never finished my senior year of high school, AND I might add that i am the most horrible math student. But...I am proud to say that i rec'd my G.E.D, because I thought I couldnt do it DUE to the MATH,alone! I took some prep classes for the Math portion, pre GED testing, and got a feel for what kind of Questions would be on the exam. I practiced, got the 6,7, and 8th grade math workbooks, (LOL) and did them. They will help you, go ahead and laugh. I remember for the actual GED exam, it was a 2 day thing, and I remember doing fractions, because I was horrible at them.

Seriously though. It's just another obsticale that is in your way, once you get over it, under it, through it,..........Everything else will be more available to you!

She didn't say she TOOK the bar, She said the attorney she worked for was willing to sponser her taking the bar. YOu can't take the bar in any state without a HS diploma or GED, and sometimes some places won't even consider hiring you unless you have rec'd your High School Diploma, a GED would not suffice!!